Bad Nurse Experience - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Nurse Experience Bad Nurse Experience

Unread 11-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Interesting. I do recall my 2nd night feeling very uncared about. The first night was great, I got prompt responses, plenty of attention and did not feel at all on my own. Not so the 2nd night. Everything seemed different then. Not just the long response times, waiting for medication, etc ... but just the way the nurses talked to me, I definitely did not feel valued. I wanted to leave.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Bribery works... but then again....

I must say, my nursing care was actually very good other than (yep, here we go...) just one CNA. They get the grunge jobs like emptying bed pans, making beds, refilling water glasses....

This woman was MY age... she had absolutely no grace, I think she lived "under" the tracks, on the wrong side of left... and lived in a trailer with NO heat, bless her heart! She had the best of intentions.... she really LOVED being a CNA but I really think someone needs to retrain her or supervise her closer or something!

She came in a few hours after I had returned to my room and tried to get me up to go to the bathroom. I still had the dang catheter... THAT wasn't happening!!!

Then... the next morning, DH was up and had brought me some get well cards... the dingbat was cleaning off the window sill where I had them sitting... she scooped them all up while I was trying to brush my hair and teeth and threw them away!

Then!!! When she said it was time for a sponge bath I said DH would take care of it. She pitched a hissy fit!!!

The bribery thang though... I bought a tin of fabulous dipped chocolates.... bought heart shaped glass candy dishes and distributed them all over the floor... the nurses desk... my room, the surgery center wings' front counter...

Lets just say, they were well cared for,.., all except for the wierdo that shouldn't have been there.
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:59 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I was just two hours into my room after surgery, nurse comes in and asks me why I'm not up and walking around yet? Well for starters I just came in here two hours ago from surgery, I still feel a bit woozie, I have a catheter, and an I.V., and I don't feel like I should be getting up right now, was my reply. Her reply along with a dirty look was, Your surgery is not until tomorrow, what the heck are you talking about? Puzzled, I said look lady I just had surgery do you wanna take a peek at my stomach and tell me if I just had surgery or not?
Another dirty look, and " I'm not one of the nurses that allows the patients to tell me when they are getting up and walking, I am one of the nurses that does her job, and has her patients doing things when they are supposed to.
" I'm not getting up I told her, so you can just relax, maybe later but not now"
" WELL Claudine you are not going to get yourself better if you don't listen to the nurses here"
" Claudine???? My name is Vicki"
She walks over to me, grabs my arm, reads my wrist band, and walks away, no apology nothing.
Nice huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 07:18 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Nice, yeah
Unread 11-06-2007, 07:38 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Aint life just grand?! I am very sorry that this happend to you it should not happen at all to anyone.she could have killed you had she been handing out meds without knowing who you were!that is super scary
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:01 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I had bad nurses too,my day nurses were the worst and I felt like they took no time with me. On my last day the nurse left me sitting on the edge of my bed! The chair was blocked my hosp. computer and in order to sit in it I have to pull it out which I couldnt do! So finally I had to drag myself back up to the top of my bed. And she did other things,didnt give me pain meds,ect

Another time after I had my DD by csection a nurse would NOT give me my pain meds, I was crying in pain when the doc. came in for rounds.I told her what was going on and she flew out of that room mad,the nurse came in right away with my meds.Then 4 hours later she did the same thing,I called my doctor at her office and told her. About 10 min. later a new nurse came in and helped me and that another nurse......I never saw her again.
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:28 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I'll stick up for my nurses. They were awesome! I had no bad experiences with any of them. They couldn't do enough for me.
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I thought I had a bad experience until I read these posts! I was luckier than most and had the best nursing staff for the most part. The entire hospital staff was wonderful and made me feel like the only patient in the building!!

But...I did have one nurse that I did not get along with. She refused to listen to me and did things her own way, even though I warned her numerous times of what would happen. She knew so much better than me about MY body. I have no veins, basically. It took pre-op 6 attempts (and a valium) to get the IV in me. I was a basket case by the time they finally got it. I thought if I had to get stuck again I'll run screaming from this place! All of those attempting were so sweet and you could tell their hearts really went out to me during that ordeal. They apologized continuously.

Once the IV is in, it's still fairly difficult for the fluids to flow through so flushing the line is never a good idea....my hand will blow up like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade float. Happens every time. I told that nurse, begged her not to and even threatened her that if it happened, like I told her it would, I would report her for refusing to listen to me. Needless to say, I reported her. After she did that, I still had several hours there with her (night shift) and she refused to enter my room the rest of the night. When I needed anything, she would send a tech in. She did come to my door once to ask me a question and quickly turned to leave after my answer. She came in the following night and I called for the floor manager and said that they need to assign someone else to me because I would not allow her in my room. They did so and I had no more problems.

Like I said, one bad nurse did not spoil the experience for me. The kindness and caring I received from everyone else in that hospital, was amazing and I have written a letter to the hospital to that effect. (I left out the complaints I had about the one nurse, but I made my opinions known to her manager before I left the castle.)

Hope everyone is doing well!!
Suzie
TAH 10/2/07
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebratt
Again i am really sorry if I offended anyone.
You certainly weren't offensive at all! I don't need to be lectured by someone, telling me what or how I should think about nurses. This thread is about what the facts of our treatment were, and we are relating what happened to us.

I wish I would have known what I know now. I'd be sure to have taken my best friend with me, and she would have made sure that I was taken care of. I consider it criminal what happened to me in that hospital. Of all the people who know about bad apple nurses, it's other nurses. As I said, my own sister in law is a career recovery room nurse at Mass General in Boston and she knows her stuff! And she says that we have to be willing to really do our part to bring the bad apples out into the light. I never want anyone else to go through what I or anyone else here went through.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbutrflyzz
" Claudine???? My name is Vicki"
Unbelievable.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register