Bad Nurse Experience - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Nurse Experience Bad Nurse Experience

Unread 11-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

You really need to be aware of what is happening to you and what the processes are. I had to direct my day shift staff, and in fact, as a result of inadaquete attention to my calls for help with the IV, I had to disconnect from my IV early. Because she had the fluids set too high, my hand swelled up like a balloon and was unable to handle anything more. Of course, she acted like she didn't hear what I was saying...admitting to nothing. I spent several hours waiting for my machine to be re-filled without anyone around--very frustrating! This is a real problem when you're in pain because you certainly don't want another IV put in and the oral meds are not nearly as good.

The day nurse was not interested in staying on track with my doctor's plans. Not only did I tell my doctor about this whole thing (she was not happy and told the charge nurse about the indicent), but I had a lengthy conversation with that charge nurse before I left.

It turns out, the charge nurse was very interested in what I had to say and apologized. I complimented the night team (they were great) and provided her with detailed circumstances of the day staff instances I encountered, including my IV experience. Needless to say, I never saw that one nurse again...and, my IV hand still hurts--ARGH!!

Stick up for yourselves, or have someone there who understands basic medical processes so they can help you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 10:58 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I just am really dishearted to see that what happend to me has happend to so many others I have seen/worked with my fair share of "know it all nurses in my work.But even under the worst working conditions in Baghdad I never saw any nurse treat anybody like the way that we were treated.Well now I have started to have the tell tale signs of a UTI tonight and I am praying that it is not going to turn into a kidney infection like the last 5 have.At least if I have to get IV antibiotics for a kidney infection my wonderfull doc let's me do it on an outpatient status and I will not have to deal with any of the same nurses.(I am trying to find any positives to hang onto.Suzie I am also a very bad stick(4 trys in pre-op before they got it.)and I have very weak veins so my IV site never last very long.I attempted to tell my "nurse" that my IV had blown and my hand was starting to swell.to which she came over,looked at the hand,and said"it is fine" and was going to push my pain meds. I took my hand and put it under my butt and said "you are NOT going to push that untill you change IV sites I know when something is wrong with my own body!and she said"I think I know about being a nurse a little more than you do!"It was about this time that I really blew up at her and informed her that A.I am a nurse also.have been for the past 12 years.B.YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE A **** <oops! please do not attempt to override the site censor!> NURSE TO KNOW WHEN YOU ARE IN PAIN.And C.That she was a idiot.Well.....She did take the IV out and tried to start a new one.I tried to tell her where my best veins were but she would hear none of it.She stuck me 7 times and then said that i would have to go on oral pain meds because it was impossible to get an iv started.I asked for another nurse by name to come in and try since she has had luck before getting one started.and the nurse said fine but if i can't do it i am sure no one else can.When the other nurse (one of the few angles that i got to know and trust)She saw all the holes and asked me where they have been lucky to get one before.I told where to stick,she did,and got it on the first time!I later found out that hospital policy is if they don't get it on the 2nd stick they are supposed to get someone else to do it!That all happend at the begining of the shift,I should have know that it was going to be a looooooooong night!Well ladies I am glad to know that i am not alone but sorry that it happend to any of us. to all,
Unread 11-06-2007, 11:15 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience, Jenny (and others). I had AWESOME nurses (RNs and CNAs), both day and night, and I made SURE to write a glowing letter to the hospital's Director of Nursing. To be sure, if I had a bad experience, I would have written a letter - unless you tell them, they don't know!

I'm glad everyone's home and safe, now. I my nurses!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 11:31 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebratt
I just am really dishearted to see that what happend to me has happend to so many others I have seen/worked with my fair share of "know it all nurses in my work.But even under the worst working conditions in Baghdad
That is pretty awesome that you were a nurse in Baghdad!! Thank you so much for your service to our country. I'm very grateful for all of you.
Unread 11-07-2007, 12:24 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygigi
That is pretty awesome that you were a nurse in Baghdad!! Thank you so much for your service to our country. I'm very grateful for all of you.
I second that emotion!
Unread 11-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

Thank you for supporting us.I didnt really want to tell that nurse that I was in the army and had been to iraq because i did not want to sound as tho i was bragging.But dang it if we could do 100xbetter patient care over there than she could give me here well sometime my emotions just get the best of me......Well thanks for letting me vent gals,this surgery has really taken a toll on me both physically and emotionally.Here is a little pearl of wisdom:If you find your self having uti symptoms DO NOT TAKE URISTAT WITH DILAUDID!!!! I took 2 pills at 9pm and I have been throwing up since 11pm.not fun at all with a sore tummy anyway!so now i am up taking phenergen every 3 hrs and praying for the waves in my tummy to go away.thanks for all the support that i have gotten today,
Unread 11-07-2007, 02:17 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

My 1st Surgery over a year ago was my Hyst. The pre-op staff was great, I had some issues in Post-Op that kind of scared me but it was my body not the staff that was scary and all of my floor staff for the 2 days I was there was fantastic. I bragged (hospitals couldn't afford to do the amount of advertising 1 really great experience buys them) to anyone and everyone how great it was. Though it is funny to think of major surgery as something you are sharing in a positive light.

So when I was having pain issues that would not go a way and actually were getting worse, at 8 months Post-Op I went in for an exploritory lap. now I love my Dr but I swear she was sure they wouldn't find anything. She scheduled the OR for 30 minutes.

2 1/2 hours into surgery she came out and asked for consent to remove an ovary. She told my mom I had the worst adhesions she had seen in 25 years and they were still working there way through it. All in all it was just over 5 hours.

I woke up in Recovery and was told, like I couldn't tell, I was being admitted over night as they had to 'open me back up' and my surgery had been more extensive then planned. I woke up in a lot of pain but once the nurse got on top of it, it was never worse than I had been at my worst Pre-Op.

And that was pretty much where everything went South. I don't remeber seeing the night staff but once that first night (but I was awake because I remeber asking my roommate if the TV would bother her and found her awake as well). There was a nice NA that came in at 4 and got me out of bed. I went and sat by my roommate and we talked for like an hour (dogs, family, jobs - I felt like I had known her forever). I think I was up too long because I was queasy by the time I got back in bed. But they took care of that.

My day nurse was a spaz. She 'didn't know' she had my room. I had hit my buzzer to use the loo. I couldn't just go because my roomates thingy was in the toilet and I didn't have family there yet. after about 25 minutes things were getting rather urgent and now I can hear people arguing about whose covering whose rooms as there are call buttons lit (multi minute discussion). I look up and whose walking in but my surgeon. I started crying and said what was going on(I was so embarressed for my overreaction later but at the time....). And she said she thought we could handle this. Just the the nurse shows up and Dr says I think we can slow down her IV. Nurse says 'We'll have to ask her Dr'. I smilled as I realized she thought this was mom.

It never got any better. She asked after they took out the pump if I wanted a pain pill. I didn't but then walking the halls, I did. DH went to find her and she told him she was busy but would get it when she was available. It took just over an hour and by that point, I was really glad she brought 2. After that, when asked I said yes. Funny thing is they never watched. I would take 1 and palm the other incase I needed one later and couldn't get a response (bad I know). I came home with 3.

She took out my IV but left in the port. She failed to lock the tube (does that make sense?). I was questioning the blood backing up into it and she said that was a good thing sense it meant the line was clear. This didn't sound right to me so I questione dit when my nurse from the 1st time came in to say goodnight (goots love her). She got this annoyed look and flushed it saying it hadn't been locked down and if left to clot they would have had to start another line if they needed it.

The night nurse the second night came in at 11:30 to hand out pain pills (he didn't watch me take them either) and ask if I wanted a sleeping pill. I thought this was odd but whatever. Well about 3:30 am there was a retirement party on the floor. I could hear it all and then wondered if that was what the sleeping pills were about. I never saw that night nurse after that.

I was so glad to leave the next morning. I had basically given up on the nursing staff and was just doing for myself, including walking over to their service area and making my own cup of tea.

It is because of that second experience that when a fairly close co-worker said she's having surgery in early December (and really it was a week I was off anyways), I offered to drive her. Her mom is her only family in the area and her dad needs pretty much FT care. But I have mentally commited to whatever she needs that day and the next. I now know too well the difference a good nurse and a spaz nurse can make and from the the importance of having an advocate.

May I stay healthy from here because I think I would be more concerned now about the aftercare than the surgery itself.

Julie
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:22 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Knit
I'll stick up for my nurses. They were awesome! I had no bad experiences with any of them. They couldn't do enough for me.
Ditto. I was in the hospital 5 days with my hyst and three weeks later was readmitted for 8 days with a DVT. I was fortunate enough to be placed on the same floor with the same nurses, who were wonderful. Since my hospital stays, I have nothing but the utmost respect for all nurses. ((((( )))

For any of the LIW who are reading this thread, please don't be frightened. It's more than likely that your nurses will be gentle and caring, as most are.
Unread 11-07-2007, 04:02 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

I had a 4 day hospital stay and then had a home health care nurse. Most of my nurses were very good. 2 were not. My biggest issue was have to wait a long time after requesting pain meds. I finally realized that I had to ask for the pain meds about an hour or more before I actually needed to take them according to the dosage/time/etc.
One nurse was just plain mean tempered, the other was completely unresponsive. The other 4 nurses I had were absolutely great.
Unread 11-07-2007, 06:34 AM
oh dear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbygigi
I hear you!!!!

I don't believe one word of the myth about "overworked" nurses since this surgery of mine. It's all B.S. and I don't think any of us should take it any more. I had the nurse from Hell on the night shift during my surgery; she could have cared less about my pain pills on time. In fact, not once did she give me a pill when I needed it, she refused to check the doctor's orders for my pain drip, my husband had to track her down every single time for my pain, she said the pain pump wasn't working but did nothing to get it fixed, she said my IV's weren't working and the IV nurse came 5 hours later. It was a nightmare. And this was in what is supposed to be the best hospital in Seattle, WA. I am still so furious. Honestly, they have us all believing that they are so overworked. My husband is the most mild-mannered, passive man on the face of the earth, and even he was beside himself trying to find someone to just do their job. He said he had to use the bathroom on the floor around 3 am, and both of them were locked for 15 MINUTES, with no sounds coming from either one. He waited in a chair with his watch, and nurses came out of both of the bathrooms. No sounds of flushing, or running water, or anything. He said he watched it for two nights straight. My night nurse was 2.5 hours late for my 2 am pain pill, and she just laughed and said she was "busy". This was a dedicated hysterectomy floor, and there were 5 other ladies in there, with 3 nurses. We have been sold a tale of baloney about nurses. For our own protection, we HAVE to bring an advocate for us on all surgeries. My husband was just too passive.
I am so sorry you went thru that. I am a nurse on a med surg floor (we dont have hysterectomy patients though). I can say from experience, I am very overworked. I have had up to 13 surgery patients on top of being CHARGE NURSE for the entire floor. But I do NOT neglect my patients. I may forget a callbell ONCE if I am running between patients. But if they call out again, I STOP in my tracks and apologize to the patient because I did forget. Sometimes the secretary forgets to tell us that someone called out too. If your nurse was like you said, you need to report that. That is just awful. Surgery is painful and stressful enough, we need our nurses to be there for us like they are supposed to be. While Im off work, I plan on looking for another job, once Im able to due to the short-staffing. I was told that we have lost 6 employess since Ive been off work, I dont want to go back. lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register