Bad Nurse Experience - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Nurse Experience Bad Nurse Experience

Unread 11-07-2007, 08:01 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

My hospital stay was over a weekend. I basically had terrible nurses but my night nurse for 3 days was the worst. He adminstered most of my meds (I'm diabetic, HBP, etc). The worst being when my dr. came to visit two days later and said my blood sugars were not under control, I didn't understand why. I was taking my meds and eating properly. I started to check all the meds this nurse was giving me in the morning.
ALL WRONG doses. This was on day three. On day four I realizes he also was handing me a predosed pen (Byetta) for sugars and it was the wrong dosage also. I was appalled. I called the administrative nurse but he just sat there and said I'm sorry. Several other things happened with the meds that the nurses couldn't get straight. One of them said it was the weekend and the pharmacy was the worse on weekends. I just couldn't believe what I was hearing.

BTW, when I took control of my meds got my BS under control within 24 hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

(((Jenny))) I'm so sorry you had such a difficult experience with the nurses during your stay. I know how painful the bladder thing must have been, because when my catheter was removed the morning after surgery, I was unable to urinate on my own. My DR told me to keep trying over a period of time and let her know if I still couldn't go. Well, I guess I waited too long, because the pain became excruciating all of a sudden - I couldn't climb back into bed and just stood bending over it and leaning on the mattress until the nurse came and cathed me, collecting over 1500ml. Not her fault, of course, but I wanted you to know I feel your pain (still remember it very well!).

I've had six surgeries in the last several years, one of which involved a five-day hospital stay (colectomy); the hyst was a two day stay for me. I had unbelievably compassionate nursing care each time, including pre and post the day surgeries. My all-time favorite nurse turned out to be a man who was a student nurse at the time of my hyst. He was so kind and caring, and came around extra times in the evening to take me walking around the halls (my request - my DR had told me it would help). I was so impressed I told the nursing director, who said they were just waiting for him to graduate and planning to make him an offer he couldn't refuse because all the patients loved him! He managed to take a very sensitive situation ("female" surgery, with catheters and pads and bleeding and all that entails) and make me feel at ease, not self-conscious at all, despite a little nervousness when I first heard my nurse would be a man. I was absolutely thrilled when he was one of my nurses for the five-day stay the following year. And he even remembered my name!

I guess I've been lucky in that I haven't had a "bad nurse experience", ever. I've had a bad receptionist experience and two bad DR experiences (those two are no longer my DRs), but I have nothing but respect for the job nurses do. I'm sure there are bad apples in every bunch; I'm just glad that, at least in my experience, they are in the small minority.

Now, let me tell you about my 'bad cashier experience' the other day... (just kidding!)

Best wishes for a smooth recovery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 11-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Thank you all soooo much for caring and hearing me vent!I have had 15 surgeies in my life and all but this time I have had very very good nurses.In fact it was because of them that i became a nurse.and yes this is a very small minority but it really upsets me that there is any at all.but you will have a bad seed everywhere you go.this thread has helped me alot.I hope that it will help everybody else that has had the missforuntune too have this happen to them.I am fighting a uti right now and have been sleeping all day.I am going to go back to bed and see how i feel in the moring.I will let you all know how i am when i wake up.good night,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I thought this was a good thread and although it's still too painful for me to talk about my hospital experience due to the nurses and a Dr., I thought it was therapeutic to share experiences.

No one is saying all nurses are bad but boy oh boy, the bad ones sure stand out when we are at our most vulnerable. Yes, we all have bad Target or Librarian experiences but they aren't the same as the ones where you are writhing in pain and the nurses ask "have you never had major surgery before Dear?"

I've tried to compose a letter since I've come home and I can't put it into words. I know I need to for the sake of future patients but I still can't believe the treatment I got from our local hospital, which I've always defended.

Vent away ladies - we learn to advocate better if there's ever a next time.
Unread 11-07-2007, 11:45 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughnowcrylatr
It is because of that second experience that when a fairly close co-worker said she's having surgery in early December (and really it was a week I was off anyways), I offered to drive her. Her mom is her only family in the area and her dad needs pretty much FT care. But I have mentally commited to whatever she needs that day and the next. I now know too well the difference a good nurse and a spaz nurse can make and from the the importance of having an advocate.

Julie
You are GREAT!!! And that's exactly what I have vowed to do as well. From this day forward, if I can be of service to anyone who is going into surgery, I will give of myself to be there for them. I've gotten so full of respect for all you Sisters who have written of your experiences. I believe it's a subject that has been pushed under the carpet for decades because maybe we are just a little too submissive for our own good. Being in pain, helpless, weak, and disoriented is a very vulnerable place to be and I'm never going to forget it.
Unread 11-08-2007, 12:56 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

My nurses after my hysterectomy surgery on the floor were great. Only had problems with one nurse. That was in the recovery room after the surgery. I woke up having the worst hot-flash of my life. Felt like I was being boiled alive. The nurse kept trying to cover me up with blankets and I was fighting to get all of my covers off. She kept telling me to settle down. Then she put the oxygen mask on my face. (I had informed the anaesthesia nurse before my surgery that I am super claustrophobic and not to put the oxygen mask on my face but that it was okay to hold it above my face about a couple of inches.) When the nurse put the mask on my face I was already freaked out about the hot-flash and I threw the mask across the room. About the time I was throwing the mask ,I heard the anaesthesia nurse tell her not to put the mask on my face because I was claustrophobic. The nurse replyed "We'll just see about that!" The anaesthesia nurse laughed and said "Well I guess you saw, didn't you?" I guess she left in a huff, because the next thing I know there is a different nurse next to me and she is helping me remove the covers and is placing cold clothes on my face and chest and tells me I feel start to feel better in a little while because she has just given me a hormone shot.
The nurses at this hospital were a lot better that the nurse I had at the other hospital when I had my D&C. The nurse there almost killed me. They did not pay attention to the pain medicine schedule and overdosed me on Demerol. My blood pressure dropped below 80 and my heart stopped for a while then would beat once then stop for a while again. My doctor was not happy with what happened. I think the nurse who overdosed me was fired and my doctor left that hospital and moved to another town.
Unread 11-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

i left at noon the day after surgery, would have gone earlier,but had to wait for formal discharge , it was a nitemare
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:22 PM
kudos to my nurses

I feel for all of you who had bad experiences. but i would like to take this time to give kudos to all of the nurses @ the hospital where I stayed for three days... they made me feel like a princess, regulated my meds to be sure they overlapped without ever being in pain, catered to my every need ( even had a student nurse from the local community college spend the morning with me and take all my vitals, view the incision and gave me a wonderful foot rub and replace new warm socks!!!! I wish for every woman going through such a traumatic surgury to have such wonderful nurses as i had. for some reason like the news, only the discouraging stories are told and i'm sure for every unfortunate nurse story there is one great one to recover it.
good luck and good wishes to all.
cybyl
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I think it's probably more like for every bad nurse story there are thousands of great ones.
((())) ((()))
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:36 PM
terrible care

Well, I guess I'm not alone! I too had terrible care after my surgery on the 29th - so much so that I asked the doc to get me out of there the next day, which turned out to probably be a day too soon. However, they didn't want to get me my pain meds, and by the next morning, I was having to do everything for myself. Fortunately, my hubby stayed the night with me on the 29th, and he did the majority of my care, aside from giving me medication. I went home early for two reasons - one to be in control of when I take my pain medication, and two, so I wouldn't be paying ridiculous prices for another night in the hospital when I was taking care of myself anyway! I have worked in the hospital for 14 yrs - I know what kind of care to expect, and am very well aware that there are many, many people who should not be in the profession. Believe me, I had several of those last week! There are bad apples in every profession, however, with nursing it just seems so much more important that they be weeded out, because people are in helpless situations and dependent on the nurses and CNAs to take care of them for a short time. I think that is what makes it so much worse than a rude clerk at a store.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register