Bad Nurse Experience - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Nurse Experience Bad Nurse Experience

Unread 11-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Not that I would want anyone to have bad nursing care but I am *so* relieved to hear that I was not the only one! I really felt like the care that I received was pretty poor care.

My roommate's father is a doctor locally, she had tons of visitors that were in the medical field, and I felt as though her needs were seen as much higher than mine (granted, she also had some complications but not until day 4, the day I left). I didn't feel up to visitors, and even if I had my DH was working (he was with me the day of surgery, visited at night, took me home) and my mom was with my kids at home It's ridiculous to think that only those patients who have someone there advocating for them are the ones that are going to receive appropriate care. Meanwhile, the nurses made sure several times to say to my roommate that they were solely assigned to our room - so how busy could they possibly have been??

In my case, I never did learn the name of my first nurse or my second nurse. I only ever saw the CNA's that came in with ice, or meds. Morphine tends to make me feel wired but do nothing for my pain, yet they gave it to me before bedtime the first night. Hours later I asked for something other than the morphine (vicodin, demerol, percoset, Motrin.... anything), and she gave me an Ambien, which only made me feel more wired. I was exhausted by morning. They removed my catheter even though I hadn't been able to stand up yet, and waited several hours before offering a bedpan. By then I was too full - tried to go on the pan for about 2 hours before begging for a catheter. 3 attempts to get it in. Immediately filled almost 2 bags. In a 4 day stay, I was only offered a toothbrush one time. Other times I asked for pain meds, and was told that I couldn't have the vicodin - took Motrin instead, and then later was asked why I hadn't taken vicodin. On the last day, I woke up and immediately asked for Motrin. Over the next 4 hours, every time I would see the nurse or the CNA, I would remind them that I still hadn't had my Motrin. It wasn't until my doctor got there to discharge me that the nurse finally brought it. Of course, by then I was really hoping to take a vicodin to get the pain down enough to get home - but then I couldn't have it because I would have to wait an extra 2 hours to go home, so Motrin it was. My discharge instructions literally say "Prescription meds per doctor, and full pelvic rest. No driving, no lifting". It does not say if it's OK to bathe/shower, watch for fever or anything that is useful information.

I have several nurses (retired) in our family, and I think it's an amazing profession. But, I can't say as though I felt particularly cared for or even much noticed during this stay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2007, 09:28 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I'm sorry that some of you have had bad experiences with nurses, but I have to praise the ones that I have recently come in contact with. I have never been in the hospital or had surgery in my 53 years until this recent hysterectomy. I went to a rather small community hospital, and I must say that everyone I met there was somewhere between pleasant and super sweet, depending on their personality. All the nurses in the OR and on the floor seemed to care and were willing to help me. I did notice that some, esp in the OR, seemed very business-like, focused, and one just looked overworked, poor thing, but if I asked a question, they were very willing to talk to me and answer my questions. In fact, in the OR I found it comforting that they were simply going about their business around me, and not constantly talking to me about this or that, as I was trying to stay in my "zone." And back in my room, when it was time to get out of bed for the 1st time, the nurse just told me it was that time, reassured me that my stitches weren't gonna come splitting open if I moved, & helped me to the BR. And the sweet night nurse who kept checking on me when I couldn't sleep the 2nd night, bringing me graham crackers and hot chocolate when I told her I was hungry. And I think, where the heck would have been without those nurses?

All you nurses on this site, thank you for what you do!!
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelliewg
But, I can't say as though I felt particularly cared for or even much noticed during this stay.
You sure weren't. And I feel for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2007, 11:18 PM
Update

Just like to tell whoever may be interested that I had my first follow up with the surgeon, and I was told that the night RN nurse who neglected me, who withheld pain medication, lied to me about my doctor's orders regarding my pain meds, and was MIA for hours, .... was FIRED. You know what my first reaction was? I got goosebumps and thought, "Thank God Almighty that she won't be doing that to any more people." And the surgeon said, "No. Thank YOU! Without people willing to come forward and tell the truth, we can't do what we need to do to rid the bad apples." She thanked me! Imagine.

Unfortunately, that nurse will probably end up in a nursing home abusing even more helpless people.

The purpose of this discussion is not to slam nurses. It's to bring out into the open a subject that has been hidden and swept under the rug forever... sadistic nurses, nurses under the influence of narcotics, etc.

We are the only ones who can effect change and help the next sister who comes along and hopefully won't have to suffer at the hands of these ghouls.
Unread 11-18-2007, 04:08 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

Thanks for posting the update. I hope it will help some who figure 'why bother complaining' as they think it won't do any good.

I think the other thing you concern yourself with a little is is someone just having a really awful night. Not to excuse neglectful behavior in a field that requires excellence, just saying I know I would worry it was just one night.

I think your nurse being fired is indicative of prior issues as well. Because I don't think most people get fired over one bad report. My guess is there probably has to be a pattern of behaviours or a couple major incidences.

Good for you for standing up for yourself, and that nurses potential future patients.

Julie
Unread 11-18-2007, 06:25 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

I believe all nurses would appreciate ones like the one bobbygigi dealt with being weeded out!
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:07 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

I had super kind nurses (male and female alike). I have to say though, I was a bit surprised to see an all male ob/gyn staff. It really took me back. That would be the one area where I thought it would be all female.

I had one nurse that was rude and quite ignorant. Everyone on the floor knew her, and avoided her. I was one of the ones who ignored her until her shift ended, and she left. She was that much of a sore thumb. It was obviously to everyone that she didn't enjoy her job, disliked her co-workers, and used every excuse under the sun for why she was late for work for the last week and a half. It's surprising what you hear while laying in bed resting.

For those who are in nursing, my hat is off to you. You have a tough job.

Blessings all around,
Roseptl
Unread 11-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

I was told at my 2 week post op that all of my nurses that i made a complaint about are under investigation!I to had the thought that thank God they can't hurt anybody else.It feels like the weight of the world is slowly being lifted from my back.It had been hard to let go of what happend to me in the hospital.and with a kidney infection to remind me of the pain I went through it is really hard.
Unread 11-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

Wow, what a thread! I, too, feel compelled to thank all the nurses that worked with me. They were all fine and some were great. I had NO problems post-op with tah-bso and was able to leave after about 36 hours. It's been the easiet of my three abdominal surgeries. Other than waking me up to "check" me, which I know they have to do, my nurses were always polite and always seemed to listen to me.

The only small difficulty I had was in getting them to remove my IV (doctor's orders) which was bugging me (hurt in my wrist). They said that the dr. said (on my 2nd day) that if she removed my IV, my insurance co. might question why I needed a second night in the hospital. I said, "fine, I'm ready to go anyway." They were surprised but called the dr. and she released me. I've been fine ever since (had lots of help from mom and hubby).

At any rate, my nursing care was very good and I made sure to tell the hospital care person this when she called and asked a week after my surgery. I also filled out the survey and gave big thumbs up to everyone. I hope this helps the hospital reward those who cared for me.

Took
Unread 11-19-2007, 10:20 AM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughnowcrylatr
Bobby -

I think the other thing you concern yourself with a little is is someone just having a really awful night. Not to excuse neglectful behavior in a field that requires excellence, just saying I know I would worry it was just one night.
Julie
It was both nights, and the reason they were "bad nights" is because she was the one there. That's called cause and effect. I was supposed to be in the hospital for 3-4 nights. Thank God I got out of there, though the Nurse Director pulled her off my care.

Of course it was a pattern. In this day and age with nurse's unions and HR documentation, etc., it's obvious that she was a huge problem to the hospital and they were waiting to get rid of her. My guess is they pulled a random drug test on her and she tested positive, as she was very obviously under the influence of narcotics both nights she stumbled around my bed. The few times she bothered to show up, that is.

A bad night? No pain medicine, the IV morphine drip machine not set because she was so messed up she couldn't run the switches, unable to take my oxygen readings because she couldn't remember the numbers for more than 2 seconds, telling me that she was the one to decide what kind of pain meds I was to receive, refusing to wash her hands or use Purell, being AWOL from 2 am to 6 am when I had pain meds scheduled at 2 and 4 am.

Yeah. I'd say it was a bad night. The night before that one, I was just very simply out of my mind in agony. My surgery turned from a simple vaginal hysterectomy into a full-blown abdominal exploratory because of a tumor that had grown around my aorta, and the doctor made sure that I was to have compensatory pain management. I am one tough broad. I lived with the pain of that tumor, not knowing what it was, for years because I just thought the pain was from "ovary cramping". My surgeon told my husband that I had the pain threshold of a boulder if I lived with that for all those years. It was sitting on a big nerve that goes down the leg as well, so I walked with a limp and needed help getting up. I just called it bursitis. HA HA HA!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register