pain management | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

pain management pain management

Unread 11-06-2007, 03:00 PM
pain management

My surgery is Thursday! I am trying to get ready but feel so lazy. Like I feel like I can sleep all day but cant sleep at night. anyway my big concern is when I wake up. How is the pain? Is it managed well? I want to clean but cant find the energy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 03:06 PM
pain management

Just make sure to tell your doctor that you want good pain control. Bring up the subject. You'll be able to discuss it during pre-op time.
Unread 11-06-2007, 03:13 PM
pain management

Hi, there
I think morphine is commonly given immediately after the surgery and for the day after. But, lots of people don't like it, so if you find it makes you feel funny (it did me, I felt like it contributed to the nausea), ask for something else, which they can give you in your IV. I liked the Toradol. The 1st day is the worst for pain/discomfort but you sleep a lot of it off and it gets better quickly after that. Good Luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 03:20 PM
pain management

There are different ways to manage the pain. It's good to talk to the anesthesiologist about this beforehand. My anesthesiologist set me up with a PCA machine (a patient controlled thing) with morphine. Then, after surgery, when it started to hurt or I even thought it might start to hurt, I just pressed the button on the PCA machine.
Unread 11-06-2007, 03:38 PM
pain management

post op pain management is very good. if you wake up in pain in the recovery room, just let them know. they'll give you everything you need.
ask your dr at your pre-op what he uses for the pain after recovery. i had morphine and it worked great.
Unread 11-06-2007, 04:29 PM
pain management

I was in less pain in the hospital right after surgery than I am now 6 days out .... and constipated, AGAIN!

I wouldn't worry too much about how you'll feel in the hospital, they'll take good care of you pain wise. If the morphine makes you nauseous, ask for something to relieve the nausea. They can put it right into your IV. They did that for me every 4 hours. I kept track myself too .... 4 hours was it for me, I could wait no more and INSISTED.

I do remember, I loved the feel of the cool nausea medicine going into my IV. Not sure if it was the coldness itself or if it just meant to me that soon I wouldn't be nauseous anymore.

Morphine and no nausea ... all was good

Unread 11-06-2007, 05:15 PM
pain management

Thank you. I will ask for nausea meds because I get nauseous real easy. Hopefully this will be the end of pain after recovery anyway.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:16 PM
pain management

omg! my surgery is the 12th and i am experiencing the same things. Totally wiped out but really not able to sleep...thus this post at after 11:00 PM. I tried to sleep some this weekend, dh very concerned, but even in the day I could not relax to really drift off. I need to clean etc. but am just to tired. I havenot even done grocery shopping etc. I am also anxious about post op waking up. I can not take morphine, or do not want to. I had one experience with it and it made me extremely emotional...like crying and upset. it was not until later that I realized that it must have been from the medicine. I realized I was way too emotional and reacting in an irrational state but could do nothing to control it. No more morphine for me.
Unread 11-06-2007, 10:08 PM
pain management

Finally! Some women who aren't running around cleaning! I thought I was the only one. For some reason, I couldn't bring myself to do anything beforehand. I was literally paralyzed about the whole procedure. Not to mention, the constant bleeding and cramping make me feel like crap!

I was soooo crazy beforehand--now I'm so calm. It's a very strange experience, but everyone seems to go through this.

In the end, it worked out fine, because the way my house looked was the last thing I worried about when I came home, and my family didn't care either!

The meds don't bother me at all--in fact I was pushing my moraphine button as fast as possible. I don't like feeling pain and sleeping was great for the first day. I had mostly "pee pain" when I woke up. I suppose common from the cathedar--it soon went away, but that was the first thing I remember feeling in recovery. Not the pain I had anticipated at all.

Really, the IV and the cathedar were the most pain for me....in fact, my IV still hurts! Everything else is healing up just great! The other side is very bright!

Best wishes!
Unread 11-07-2007, 09:01 AM
pain management

I did read that someone had a reaction on morphine and they ask for toradol and it worked. I tried toradol one time for pain and it didnt do anything for me. I am sure everyone is right, after surgery you just go into recovery mode and you stop worrying and start recovering! Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register