3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds 3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:08 PM
3 Weeks Post-Op Tomorrow and Still on Pain Meds

Just wondering how many of you at this stage (3 weeks) are still taking your pain meds? Well meaning people have me so confused. The majority of them tell me to continue to take my pill at the interval (every 8 hours) as prescribed because I "don't want the pain to wake up". Still others tell me to try to wean myself off of them or put longer stretches of time between when I take my pill. The times that I have done this (the most was 11 hours) the pain wasn't bad but I felt "soreness" in my abdomen

I guess I'm so freaked out because I want to "stay ahead" of the pain, which is the reason that I'm still taking meds.

Any advice I would appreciate. My next one is at 1 a.m. this morning and I'm setting my alarm.

By the way, I LOVE the fact that this site exists. We are the ONLY ones who truly understand what we are dealing with!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:18 PM

Hi there.

I stopped taking mine about 3 days after I got home. The Advil was enough to control whatever pain I had.

My personal opinion would be to sleep through the night. If you wake up in need, take a pill. I wouldn't set my alarm. But that's just me. I may be a bit obsessed; right now I want nothing more than to sleep all night long. I'm doing two hour stints.

I don't really have any advice. other than ask your doctor for his/her recommendation.
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:20 PM

I had an LAVH and took the meds as prescribed for the 1st couple of days home. Then I took Motrin to start and only took the Percoset if I didn't feel better after about an hour. I didn't have a lot of pain though--usually my abdomen would feel tight and my back would ache. I would also cut the Percoset in half and see if that helped. You don't have to wait until you are in bad pain to take medicine. Try Motrin/Advil/Aleve/etc first and see if that helps before you take a pain pill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:27 PM

I guess I left out a couple of meaningful points...I cut my Vicodin a day after I came home from the hospital (5 days post-op). I've been on Motrin 800's ever since. I think I will try to give it a shot and not take the next one and see how I do...I can always go back to the Vicodin if it is too terribly bad.

I am concerned because I don't want to continue taking the Motrin because it can cause stomach issues and I have a tendency toward developing ulcers...

Thanks
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:30 PM

Tonikat...

I'm 3 weeks post op today and, like you, didn't under any circumstances want my pain to "get ahead of me". So I took vicodin daily (down to just needing one at bedtime) until yesterday.

Yesterday I found myself down to my last 2 pills and had to decide if I wanted to use them then or save them for possibly a time when I would need them worse. My Dr is one who prefers to get away from the narcotic pain meds as soon as you can manage without them.

Truthfully.... if I had not run low on the vicodin, it would have been a lot longer before I would have given myself a chance to find out whether or not I really still needed them for pain.

Having said all of that.... my Dr prescribed naproxen (2 x day) and Ultram (every 6 hrs. as needed) yesterday. Last night was uncomfortable- but certainly not unbearable... I was experiencing the transition from the super effectiveness of the vicodin to the somewhat less potent new meds.

By late this morning though my pain / discomfort was again managed and I was able to function as well as I could have with the vicodin.

I do have to say that if I hadn't been "encouraged" to take a step down to a somewhat "weaker" medication, I probably would have done way too much and ended up back at square one on the recovery time table. Simply because the vicodin masked any discomfort I had.... therefore I just kept going and going and going... until exhausted. I KNOW that is not the idea - therefore I'm quite thankful for the discomfort that now breaks through so that I realize that my body is telling me to get back to resting & taking care of myself.

This is probably much more info than you wanted in response to your question... Hope I haven't bored you too much with my rambling....

We're all in this together... and I so appreciate the friendships established here.... You're right... no one else could possibly understand all that we're experiencing without having first experienced it as well.

Take care...

Dinkum
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:34 PM

No that wasn't a ramble, but info I needed. I am one of the fortunate ones in that my pain hasn't been that bad to begin with. In the recovery room, on a scale from 1-10, mine was a 6. They gave me the dilaudid and before I got to my room it was a 4. By the next morning it was managed between 2-3 and post hospital it has been pretty much 0-1.

I do think that I will try to make it through tonight without the next pill. I haven't been able to sleep much anyway so we will see just how this whole thing goes!

Thanks for sharing!!!
Unread 11-06-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonikat
Just wondering how many of you at this stage (3 weeks) are still taking your pain meds? Well meaning people have me so confused. The majority of them tell me to continue to take my pill at the interval (every 8 hours) as prescribed because I "don't want the pain to wake up". Still others tell me to try to wean myself off of them or put longer stretches of time between when I take my pill. The times that I have done this (the most was 11 hours) the pain wasn't bad but I felt "soreness" in my abdomen

I guess I'm so freaked out because I want to "stay ahead" of the pain, which is the reason that I'm still taking meds.

Any advice I would appreciate. My next one is at 1 a.m. this morning and I'm setting my alarm.

By the way, I LOVE the fact that this site exists. We are the ONLY ones who truly understand what we are dealing with!
Hi there! We had our surgery on the same day. I had an TAH with an A&P repair and a removal of a large mass in my pelvis. 2 units of blood.

Ibuprofen does nothing for my abdominal pain, and I took 800 mg. All that happened is I started spotting. Anyway, I am down to 2 Percoset a day, one at 4 pm and one around bedtime so I can have a full nights sleep. I'm on a refill of 40 and when they're gone, I'm pretty sure that will be it. Every day is a tiny bit better. So that's my trend.
Unread 11-06-2007, 10:06 PM

Hi,

I had my surgery on the same day and I am still using pain pills, but slowly weaning myself off vicodin and on to Advil. I am not in that much pain, but also have that soreness in my abdomen if I don't take anything. I try the Advil first and if that doesn't work then I use the vicodin. Usually only in the afternoon/evening. I don't wake up anymore to take pain meds, unless I wake up in pain. That is if I fall asleep at all, because insomnia is a big problem for me right now.

Thanks everyone for this great website, because it has helped me tremendously through this whole process.
Unread 11-06-2007, 10:49 PM

I'm staying on my meds until I run out. Can deal with pain, but as I've gotten older, I say we should all live better through science. The help is there and I'm going to use it until I'm really better!

No toughing it out for me anymore. I have nothing to prove. I've done that too many times--especially with natural child birth, which was really stupid and most likely contributed to my prolapse condition in the first place ....second birth was definately an epidural and pain meds all the way...
Unread 11-06-2007, 11:03 PM

I second worrytoomuch. I'm no hero. I HAVE to work (even though it's a work-at-home situation) so I take the pain medication. I have stretched the time out to where I take one to three of my Norco a day. But I'm on my second prescription and I have no problems with refilling it. If I need it. I have no intention of "toughing" anything "out." Bump that!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register