How do you cope without Hormones??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How do you cope without Hormones??? How do you cope without Hormones???

Unread 07-11-2001, 06:00 PM
How do you cope without Hormones???

Hi, ladies!!! I have posted previously under, "Hangin' among the wounded" but wanted to start a new thread to get feedback from those who have had experiences with this. My question is, how do you cope with having cancer treatment and the lack of having hormones? Are you ever allowed to go on hormones again after being cancer free??

A quick recap: my pedunculated fibroid turned out to be a leiomyosarcoma. I am 6 weeks post op today. I was originally put on estrogen right after surgery and looking forward to feeling well again and getting a balance with my hormones. However, I recieved a call on Monday from my GYN who has been consulting with the oncologist (have a follow-up with oncologist in August). She told me that she had more specific news for me and that the tumor had progesterone receptors in it. I do not understand the mechanism of all this but I have a call into my doctor to ask more questions. She said they want to wean me off of estrogen and put me on Megace. I have read everything I can find on this website about Megace and I have camped out in the Hormone Jungle in the Desert Oasis to learn more. Actually I don't know if knowing more is always a good thing but I am still at it. I understand that Megace is a tumor inhibitor as well as a progestin...darn, won't natural progesterone work!!!!!!

Help me ladies understand what you have been through without estrogen and how did you cope? I feel I am still in mourning....having to say good-bye to what was a functioning uterus....ovaries...now HRT. I apolgize if I appear to be a chicken...you all have gone through so much pain...how do you do it??? And here I was so positive when typing on the other thread. My estrogen was reduced on Monday and I didn't have the prescription for the Megace until today. I had a bad headache all day today and think it was due to the lower dose of estrogen. It just seems that once I have a grip on what's going to happen next....I get surprised with something else.....you know what I mean?

Thanks for your replies....I told my daughter I was going where I could get real support from those that have been there and definitely have done that!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2001, 05:33 AM

I can't give you any advice first handed since I personally didn't need treatments, but I can share with you what I do know. When you are told that you have Cancer, you have a lot going through your mind and it is overwhelming! Once things settle and you have let your emotions out, you can think a bit clearer. The pain is one thing and then the family/friends situation is another and then treatment afterwards is a topper to it all. I believe that the ladies do these treatments because they have to do them if they want to someday live a healthy life. THey hold their head up, bite their lip and decide that the sooner they start, the sooner they will be finished. We all try to be as supportive as we can here for everyone...and it doesn't matter whether we have all needed treatment or not. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers!! You CAN do these treatments and you WILL do them too...you have a lot of inner strength, we all do, and sometimes we just need to prove it to ourselves! Take care and I do hope that somehow I may have helped you!!
Unread 07-13-2001, 06:09 AM

{{{{{ hugs }}}}} Margie, you certainly are having alot to cope with all at once.

I am able to take HRT , so I cant help you with that, but there are a few gals here who will be able to.

As for coping... well like Cyd said you just do it. I knew that this is what I had to do and did it. It wasnt easy and at times I thought I would never make it, but somehow you find that inner strength . Plus alot of prayer and lots of help and support from everyone here at cancer concerns.

You dont have to apologize for being a "chicken" , this is scary. But please remember that we are all here, to support you and to hold your hand in whatever way we can. Much love always x x x x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2001, 10:18 AM

Thank you cyd and robynb! I really appreciate your time in responding to me! I was a mess when I posted on Wed.! After posting I headed for the Chat room where I found kaatie (chat hostess). She was extremely helpful!!! I realize now that what I had on Wed. was a hormonal migraine (never had one before) from the reduction in estrogen which I had started Mon. night. The pharmacy hadn't filled my Megace script yet so here I was coming down off the estrogen and feeling so depressed, worried, and the HEADACHE!!!! I started the Megace that night and Thurs. woke with NO headache! I felt like a new woman...that fast! I am glad the are reducing the estrogen slowly and upping the Megace slowly, otherwise.....I don't know !!! I have found some useful info in the Hormone Jungle to help compensate for no HRT. I guess you might say, why the heck is this lady worried about side affects from no hormones when she just had a nasty tumor removed!!! It just seems like everything at once. But I am coping better. I took a walk out in the beautiful sun earlier today. The sky was a gorgeous blue ...had time to reflect on the wonderful blessings I have ......and to pray. Thanks again, fellow warriors!
Unread 07-14-2001, 04:05 PM

Margie, I am so glad to see that you are feeling better emotionally!! It's amazing how hormones will change our whole outlook on life!! Thank goodness that things are looking up for you!! Please remember that we are here for you and you are not alone!!
Unread 07-14-2001, 04:36 PM
Margie...

It does seem scarey at first....almost as scarey as the cancer. I just got through it one day at a time and I have been OK.

Have you visited the Desert Oasis board? I got alot of support and information there. There are many supplements we can take if approved by your Dr. that really help. You might want to take a peek over there and get some ideas to ask your Dr. about.

Please don`t stress over this. I always figured, after cancer, how bad can this be? I actually think I would be more upset if I couldn`t have chocolate. I never tasted estrogen but I know how good chocolate tastes and I don`t want to live without it!

Keep in touch and let me know how you are doing, OK?

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}}}}}}}}}

kaatie
Unread 07-15-2001, 06:53 PM

Hi Margie,

I'm so glad you've been able to find some relief from the headaches, there's not much worse than that I'm thinking.

Please don't ever feel bad about your feelings, everyone going through any type of surgery/treament for cancer has the same feelings at some point. But I agree, we do trade one problem for another but whatever may be going on now is certainly worth getting rid of the cancer!

I'm glad you checked out the Hormone Jungle and Desert and were able to find some information that might be helpfull. I'm firmly planted in the Desert for now, as least for a couple of years from what the Dr tells me. I am taking quite a few supplements in the meantime to help out some.

Among them I'm taking a Multi-Vitamin, Vitamin E, B-complex, Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and Glucosamine. I have noticed an increase with the hot flashes when I haven't taken the Vitamin E than when I do.

I'm so glad you had a such a wonderful day in the sun, sounds wonderful! What a wonderful way to relax and unwind. I hope you'll continue enjoying yourself and life!

{{hugs}}

Vicki

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register