Help still having bowel issues - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help still having bowel issues Help still having bowel issues

Unread 11-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Help still having bowel issues

Ladies,
I too have had bowel problems (constipation) most of my life, knowing that I alerted the doc before surgery, he said he would start me on Amitiza the day of surgery, twice daily with food. He hasn't told me how long I will stay on it but I know it's for chronic constipation. I had my TAH/BSO on 11/5 and have had a relatively pain free because of the on "q" pump which was taken out today. It is a marvelous tool for any procedure. Love and prayers to all you wonderful ladies. I too worried myself to death before the procedure. I think it's normal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-08-2007, 10:41 PM

Hi,

I asked my doc at my 2 week check up how long I could stay on the Colace tabs (takeing 1 in the AM, 1 in the PM per hospital discharge instructions). I was concerned about becoming dependant on them. He said I could take Colace forever, there was nothing in them that would harm me, and the impression I got was that it was beneficial (for the long term). I am still taking them twice a day, I'm 3 1/2 weeks out now, and also a serving of prunes every day. I am doing fairly well with this, only having problems occassionally, and will probably continue to do so till at least my 6 week check. The LAST thing I want right now is to do battle with constipation!
Hope that is helpful...
Unread 11-09-2007, 12:03 AM

[quote=mrswillie]Hello Idahonurse!

I am amzed that you are going out with all that has been going on. Good for you!!
I did NOT feel up to the basketball game or the Vets Day program but I felt like as a mom, I HAD TO DO IT. My hystersister, Wheaton, told me not to do it and she's a nurse too. I felt I owed it to my son and to my dh whom I won't see until Sat. night. My friends at the program saw me and said I didn't look well. I even had make up on!
Thanks for your info. I have a couple of questions. Where do you purchase Kirklands fiber caps.
These are found at Costco, but if you don't have a membership, they are the same as the Fibercon tabs sold at all pharmacies.

Are you supposed to take the colace always or just when constipated?
There is no harm in taking Colace. If you start having stools that are TOO loose, back off. If you stop needing them, WONDERFUL!

I did not have issues with this before the hyst, but ever since I can not go daily and I can not go at all without some type of assistance from Colace., and prune juice. It is really driving me crazy. I have been taking fiber but not the Kirklands. Thank you for your help. I hope you get some time to rest and continue to heal.
Are you still taking any pain meds, even occasionally? Maybe your bowels are a little sleepy still. Walking really helps to get them awake again and this is pounded into our heads all thru school. Start out w/short walks and slowly build up the time spent and the distance traveled. I hope you find relief soon, sis! I love ya and appreciate the prayers. I don't know how much more God thinks I can handle. Goodnight, Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2007, 05:20 AM

Thanks for all the advice on the problems with constipation. What is it about this kind of surgery that makes us all have these bowel issues?? I never had this problem until after surgery. i am still dealing with some things. I take stool softeners twice a day, eat prunes daily and use Miralax that the doctor prescribed. I am back to going in the morning-still doesn't feel like i am going enough. Oh well! It has been eight weeks since my surgery. I am trying to drink alot of water and stay active. It is hard. Over all I think I am doing well.
Unread 11-09-2007, 09:22 AM

[quote=idahonurse]
  Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswillie
Hello Idahonurse!

I am amzed that you are going out with all that has been going on. Good for you!!
I did NOT feel up to the basketball game or the Vets Day program but I felt like as a mom, I HAD TO DO IT. My hystersister, Wheaton, told me not to do it and she's a nurse too. I felt I owed it to my son and to my dh whom I won't see until Sat. night. My friends at the program saw me and said I didn't look well. I even had make up on!
Thanks for your info. I have a couple of questions. Where do you purchase Kirklands fiber caps.
These are found at Costco, but if you don't have a membership, they are the same as the Fibercon tabs sold at all pharmacies.

Are you supposed to take the colace always or just when constipated?
There is no harm in taking Colace. If you start having stools that are TOO loose, back off. If you stop needing them, WONDERFUL!

I did not have issues with this before the hyst, but ever since I can not go daily and I can not go at all without some type of assistance from Colace., and prune juice. It is really driving me crazy. I have been taking fiber but not the Kirklands. Thank you for your help. I hope you get some time to rest and continue to heal.
Are you still taking any pain meds, even occasionally? Maybe your bowels are a little sleepy still. Walking really helps to get them awake again and this is pounded into our heads all thru school. Start out w/short walks and slowly build up the time spent and the distance traveled. I hope you find relief soon, sis! I love ya and appreciate the prayers. I don't know how much more God thinks I can handle. Goodnight, Michelle
I have seen the Fibercon caps I can get those. I have not taken anything but Ibuprofen since second day post op, because the rest made me so sick. I don't even take that anymore. I am drinking plenty so it must be walking. I will try to do more.
Thanks for the information. You are one strong lady that I greatly admire. Please rest, medicate, and take care of yourself!! I am still thinking of you often and you know I will keep the prayers a coming!!
Jan
Unread 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswillie
Hello Idahonurse!

Thanks for your info. I have a couple of questions. Where do you purchase Kirklands fiber caps. I have not seen them locally maybe I can get them online. Are you supposed to take the colace always or just when constipated? I did not have issues with this before the hyst, but ever since I can not go daily and I can not go at all without some type of assistance from Colace., and prune juice. It is really driving me crazy. I have been taking fiber but not the Kirklands. Thank you for your help. I hope you get some time to rest and continue to heal.
Jan
Jan,
I am amazed that I went out too. I felt like I had to as a mom. My kids friend's moms told me I looked terrible. My hair was pulled up, I had lipstick on, and I even wore red, white, and blue! They said I look pale and too thin, and dark circles under my eyes. Well, can't do much about those things right away. Anyway, I paid the ultimate price Thursday morning when I had to go to surgeon's office immediately. I know you've read about that in the other thread. Anyway, the Kirkland tabs are at Costco. If you don't have a Costco or you don't have a membership, you can find the tabs at any store under the name FIBERCON. They are calcium based fiber caps. Take these every day for the rest of your life. As for the colace, you can find these in generic form as well. Take one when you're taking any pain medicine or when you're constipated. One per day wouldn't hurt you at all, but if you want to stop taking them, you can. Walking helps, and drinking lots of non-caffeinated fluids helps. Dairy, sweets and caffeine do not help, they hurt. I am not completely off them, but I've cut way back. I hope I hear from you soon touting the wonderful improvement in how you feel! Yeeaaaahhhhhh!
Unread 11-09-2007, 02:03 PM

Me too thanks again! Remeber take care of yourself!! When we are healthy we are better Moms. Healing thoughts and peace to you!!
Unread 11-09-2007, 08:50 PM

I absolutely want to be the best mom I can be. I think I took care of myself today. I did go to the grocery store, but I had another mom pick up and drop my son off at home for his basketball practice. I've gotten a lot of rest today. I'm hoping to feel much better tomorrow.
Unread 11-10-2007, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahonurse
I absolutely want to be the best mom I can be. I think I took care of myself today. I did go to the grocery store, but I had another mom pick up and drop my son off at home for his basketball practice. I've gotten a lot of rest today. I'm hoping to feel much better tomorrow.
That is the way to do it! I hope you are feeling much better today also!!
Unread 11-10-2007, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by java jane
Hi,

I asked my doc at my 2 week check up how long I could stay on the Colace tabs (takeing 1 in the AM, 1 in the PM per hospital discharge instructions). I was concerned about becoming dependant on them. He said I could take Colace forever, there was nothing in them that would harm me, and the impression I got was that it was beneficial (for the long term). I am still taking them twice a day, I'm 3 1/2 weeks out now, and also a serving of prunes every day. I am doing fairly well with this, only having problems occassionally, and will probably continue to do so till at least my 6 week check. The LAST thing I want right now is to do battle with constipation!
Hope that is helpful...
I don't understand that your dr. said you could take colace forever. I looked it up on google and they said take no longer than one week unless ordered by your dr. My dr. never told me I could take this. Told me to take fiber but that did not help and now I have a problem. I will find out what damage I did when I go back for my 6 wk. post op this tuesday...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register