Amnesia meds. before surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Amnesia meds. before surgery Amnesia meds. before surgery

Unread 11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Amnesia meds. before surgery

Hi
Did any of you ladies get the medication that gives you amnesia before your surgery?
I did. I think it was because they saw I was getting nervous and I told the anesthesiologist, my life was in her hands, and I was not as worried about the pain as I was about not waking up.
Well what ever the reason I liked it. I don't remember a thing. Not even giving my husband the last kiss with uterus in place.LOL.
Well I hope we all feel great in the days to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi Princess,

Glad you enjoyed your period of amnesia! It is nice not to know everything, isn't it?

Have you ever had surgery before? I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that all general anesthesia has a property in it that allows the aura of amnesia. They call it a memory blocker or something like that. I only know because I woke up in the operating room one time after surgery to remove a piece of bone from my foot. I started asking all kinds of questions as they were casting the foot. I was upset that they wouldn't answer me and the doctor said, "Yes, the bone was mushy and we took it out and cleaned it up. I'll talk to you later. You won't remember anything I say right now." When I inquired at my post-op appt about why he wouldn't answer me, he told me that I shouldn't have remembered anything about that time in the OR because they have something in the anesthesia to block it.

Well, he was VERY wrong.....I remembered the whole thing and still do! That was about 14+ years ago!

Be grateful for the memory blockers!!!

Happy Healing!
Unread 11-09-2007, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug78
Hi Princess,

Glad you enjoyed your period of amnesia! It is nice not to know everything, isn't it?

Have you ever had surgery before? I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that all general anesthesia has a property in it that allows the aura of amnesia. They call it a memory blocker or something like that. I only know because I woke up in the operating room one time after surgery to remove a piece of bone from my foot. I started asking all kinds of questions as they were casting the foot. I was upset that they wouldn't answer me and the doctor said, "Yes, the bone was mushy and we took it out and cleaned it up. I'll talk to you later. You won't remember anything I say right now." When I inquired at my post-op appt about why he wouldn't answer me, he told me that I shouldn't have remembered anything about that time in the OR because they have something in the anesthesia to block it.

Well, he was VERY wrong.....I remembered the whole thing and still do! That was about 14+ years ago!

Be grateful for the memory blockers!!!

Happy Healing!
Hi, actually they gave me the meds. before they gave me the anesthesia, and I was in my room before they even wheeled me anywhere. I do remember her telling me it was something to help me calm down. So I thought it was to relax me. Sorry, you had a bad experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-09-2007, 03:18 PM

most people are given that drug in the holding area...especially if they are very nervous and dont want to be fully awake going into the o.r. you also get more in the o.r. before you receive anesthesia.
i always ask for it as soon as i speak to the anesthesiologist. its so relaxing and takes away the nerves. i really like it too
Unread 11-09-2007, 04:14 PM

It was probably Versed. They call it the forgetting drug or the confession drug. They use this for I.V. sedation also for things such as colonoscopy and other scopes and minor surgeries. And also to help keep patients calm before going in to surgery. Glad to hear that it help to make your pre-op experience more comfortable. Happy healing.

Although it is a little scary when you have an extremely good looking surgeon and hope that you dont reveal that while under the influence of this medicine!LOL

When I was young and single I fractured my cheek and nose and had to have a few surgeries well my plastic surgeon was very good looking and had such a wonderful bedside manner. During my second surgey they only IV sedated me and I had this medicine and I know I talked his ear off during surgery and I remember some of it but not all of it. To this day I still wonder all that I said. I am sure they have heard it all.
Unread 11-09-2007, 04:41 PM

Oh no! You mean I wasn't really asleep for awhile before surgery? I just don't remember???

That's scary
Unread 11-09-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dressedupinblue
most people are given that drug in the holding area...especially if they are very nervous and dont want to be fully awake going into the o.r. you also get more in the o.r. before you receive anesthesia.
i always ask for it as soon as i speak to the anesthesiologist. its so relaxing and takes away the nerves. i really like it too
\

I sure was not given anything.... before I went into the OR I had and elevated Blood pressure of 178/80. I was 126/60- just 2 days before. Very anxious and they did not give me anything. Hope I never have to ask for it but will wemenber if I ever do... thanks
Unread 11-09-2007, 05:50 PM

I wasn't given anything until right before they started. I remember seeing the doctor, chatting with the anesthesiologist, etc. This was the first time I don't remember being told I was getting ready to go out though - usually they always had me start counting backwards from 10.

I had what I think was the Versed during an upper endoscopy years ago and while I felt like I was dreaming, I still remember everything. It was great because I came right out of it instead of being in the fog for a few hours.
Unread 11-09-2007, 06:06 PM

I was given a nice dose of Morphine iin the rump while in holding and some versad as well. I told my husband I was no longer responsible for anything I said after the drugs kicked in. The wheeled me to the second holding are, hubby was not allowed to go. The surgery got delayed and my meds wore off so I got another "happy coctail" and Last thing I remember is them wheeling me to the OR and one of the nurses saying how luck I was because I got the biggest OR room, the best one in the hospital, after that....I was a goner. Don't mind not remembering. I had a repeat c section with my daughter and I rembmer looking around the OR and thinking...Man, this is nothing like Grey's Anatomy!!
Unread 11-09-2007, 06:48 PM

When I had my colonoscopy last week. When they wheeled me into the OR the anesthesiologist gave me what he called a "special juice" and instantly I started cracking jokes and laughing it was all uncontrolable. I had everyone in the OR laughing along w/ me. I went from very nervous to really having fun!! Then all I know is I was waking up in recovery and I was laughing again...... Yes, I can't believe it either. I my hubby came in and couldn't believe I was laughing the nurses where shocked and laughing. Then it wore off and now I think about how silly I was I'm laughing again. I knew what I was saying I just couldn't stop saying it and laughing!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register