Abdominal Hysterectomy: TAH - My Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Abdominal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abdominal Hysterectomy: TAH - My Story Abdominal Hysterectomy: TAH - My Story

Unread 11-10-2007, 01:21 PM
Abdominal Hysterectomy: TAH - My Story

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy on Monday, November 5, 2007. Planned on going epidural. Didn't happen. Anasthesiologist (probably spelled wrong) said with the size fibroids I had (2 6 month fetus sized), epidural would not bar the pain and he could not give me the cocktail and then put me under if it didn't work.

Next thing I knew I woke up with some cramping, o.k., lots of cramping pain where they cut me. I did have a morphine drip. Hit it 8 times (bad mistake). While the morphine did relieve the pain, every morning or every time I woke up, I was nauseated to the point of vomiting. They had to give me anti-nausea through my i.v. It worked pretty well, but what I was experiencing was the morphine leaving my body. When I went off the morphine (and asked to very early I think the next day), they gave me anti nausea and oxicotin mixed with ibuprofin. This worked very well to make me sleep. Then, to my horror, blisters from surgical tape. This was worse then the operation. Once blisters popped, I took a shower and cleaned them very well. The nurses gave me a lotion to put on the sores. Hurt and burned and didn't work. I got home this past Thursday and Friday morning about 2:30 the sores started itching, burning and draining (could not sleep). I got up and put hydrogin peroxide on the wounds. Then, I used Desitin ointment, which, to my surprise, relieved the itching and burning immediately and I was back to sleep in no time. If you experience any of the above, I suggest having Desitin ointment on hand - the best miracle ever.

I am doing extremely well now. Didn't even pick up Demoral perscription. Using Ibuprofin only and am really having no to minimal pain.

Signed,

Tickled Pink with my outcome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register