abdominal physical therapy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

abdominal physical therapy abdominal physical therapy

Unread 11-10-2007, 01:36 PM
abdominal physical therapy

As you can see, my surgery was a while ago. However, when I try to exercise or be active, I still have swelling and very mild pain. Several friends in the medica field suggested that I try abdominal physical therapy...made it sound like it is not all that uncommon after major surgery? Has anyone tried this, or know anything about it? I'm not all that excited about staring up frequent doctor's visits again, but am willing if I have some confidence that it will be of help.

Thanks for any advice or information!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 09:02 AM

Hi Snoopy Girl
I had a similar problem after my surgery. I think it was related to the bladder work I had done, but I don't think it's all that uncommon. Once I was cleared by my doctor I tried to get back into my exercise routine and normal active life and found I really hurt when I would do anything at all 'strenuous' and that was much less than I did before my surgery.

I went back to my gyn to see if anything was wrong and nothing was found so he sent me to a physical therapist that had experience helping women recover from surgery. She helped me a lot. She did some massage in my abdomen to help break up and scar tissue and started me out very slowly, first stretching and then worked me into excercising. I was amazed to realize how much I just needed to restretch those muscles in my abdomen and throughout my groin area. It was no wonder I was hurting when I tried to use them.

I have been an avid exerciser for years so it was very discouraging to me to have such a difficult time getting back into the gym. Getting the help from the physical therapist was just what I needed though. In time all the pain cleared up and I was able to do what I wanted and needed to do. It's important to remember that it can take a year to fully heal. You're getting pretty close to that year. I would highly recommend that you give the PT a try. I hope it works out well for you. Please let us know.
's, Rita
Unread 11-12-2007, 05:58 PM

Precious Pearl, you really are precious!!! Thank you so much for the reply. As a result, I am so excited to get to the physical therapist, I can hardly stand it. Life is so good in every area except for this exercise thing. To think that soon it will be behind me as well just makes my day. Then I will be 100% my old self...the only difference being I will feel good EVERY day of the month. I seriously am finally starting to see some real beauty to this surgery...it took me a long time to get here...but I am loving it!!!

Thank you again for your reply. I think I will go give the doc a call...and I will definately let the sisters know how this all turns out!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-26-2007, 10:48 PM

As I promised, I wanted to report on how the physical therapy is going.

In a word, WONDERFUL. It is just what I needed. My second layer of abdominal muscle are just useless. My PT is showing me how to isolate and strengthen those muscles. They are in such sad shape, it is unbelievable. But, I am already feeling progress, and within a week or two of seeing the PT, I have been able to use the eliptical machine for about 30-45 minutes. At last...I can exercise again!!!

I am on the "at least one year plan" for healing from this surgery. My scar is still pink in several areas. So, I know that this information may not be of any help to sister who healed more normally. But, to those of you on the one year plan and who are struggling with getting your core strength back, I would really suggest physical therapy. Without this, my PT said that I probably would never have gotten those muscles working again. And, I only need to go 2 -3 times. (I've only gone once so far.) I love my physical therapist!!!
Unread 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM

I found this post after you replied to mine yesterday. Thank you for the advice and paying it forward. I will ask about PT as well. I really do feel I may need it no matter what my issues are in the end.
I was very active before my surgery and this new issue has stopped me in my tracks. I'm sure being inactive makes things worse. In fact I walked my dog today because I finally had enough and said "I'll walk through the (groin/thigh) pain". It turns out it didn't make anything worse, but I got the benefit of moving and using my muscles. So PT may be what I need. I think scar tissue forming and/or nerves being irritated can happen months after surgery...
Unread 01-07-2008, 06:48 PM

im only 2 weeks out and i wondered about going to pt. did your dr. send you? and so if i ask at 4 week post up and if dr gave order would it be covered by insurance?
i was also very active before and have begun walking but want to jump back into reg. exercise as soon as i get the go ahead.
Unread 01-09-2008, 05:20 PM

Yes, I got a doctor's order for it, and insurance did cover it once my "out of pocket" was met. Keep me posted if you go..I would really love to hear (and learn) about your experience.

My problem began when in unknowingly used other muscles to compensate for the hurting musces. Then, the"hurting muscles" became very weak due to lack of use over a long period of time. Now, months later, whenever I would try to exercise, they get sore and swell...even now they do this! It's so frustrating.

My PT is a sweetheart, and tells me I'm an unusual "case!" I asked her what would have happened if I had not decided to come to PT. She replied that I probably never would have gotten the use of the muscles back. She also said, interestingly, that other people have this happen, and just chalk it up to a consequense of surgery that they will just need to learn to live with. NOT ME!!! I am really going to work hard at getting the use of these muscles back. And, it certainly is slow, patient work at this point in time...whenever I do too much and the aches start, I have to back up and take it easy until my muscles get used to a certain level of use. It's nuts, but I'm trusting it will work. She thinks I may be back to "normal" by April.

Do keep me posted about your progress...I want to learn as much about this as possible.
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:45 PM

Hi sisters, please consider swimming when you are cleared to do so. I was too tender to run and I found that swimming was a gentle and great way to strengthen those abdominals. And the stretching involved is nice. Oh, and no worry about periods ruining the routine in the pool either!
Unread 01-10-2008, 06:54 AM

thats funny about the period and pool thing. i went with a friend to some classes once and low and behold every month it would get messsed up...

i was worried how i was going to jump back into exercise, im now excited to ask my dr. next week about the p.t. thanks for the info and ill let you know what dr. says.
Unread 01-13-2008, 06:14 PM

fit&ready, I'm very anxious to hear what your doctor says. Do keep us posted...I'm so interested in learning all I can about this physical therapy thing. Best wishes to you!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register