feeling guilty about not doing enough? 3 1/2 wks out :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

feeling guilty about not doing enough? 3 1/2 wks out :( feeling guilty about not doing enough? 3 1/2 wks out :(

Unread 11-10-2007, 07:10 PM
feeling guilty about not doing enough? 3 1/2 wks out :(

Anyone else still a couch potato 3-4 weeks out? I read all these posts about people back at work with my operation date or out shopping driving around etc, and I feel guilty!!!

I am exhausted if do anything. I can't imagine driving yet. My mom took me to Kmart with her a couple of days ago to get some things, she wandered off and I ended up sitting on the floor pretending to read a bottom shelf item because I was so pooped and though my intestines may fall out the front and plop onto floor. I tried to do laundry and thought i was going to have to go ER! I am cooking
some and light cleaning, but laying down mostly I can't sit more than a minute or two wthout getting uncomfy. I don't think I willever do a sit up again!

This is the 3rd time I have had my belly cut I never felt this exausted with the prior... 2 prior myomectomy, and now hysterectomy left the ovaries and massive endo like stuff that had to be scraped off my organs. I hurt if I am up after a 15 min or so, an just get so tired. I can't sit more than a minute or two wthout getting uncomfy.

Anyone else not ready for the world yet... I couldn't work part-time right now if they offered me $1,000,000 and hour.

anyone else feel this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Hey, I'm about 9 weeks out and I didn't feel I could bend over to do things related to housework till my 7th week. I am also doing radiation, so I am really still tired. My hubby has been doing most cooking and cleaning the whole time. I vacuumed for the first time today and could barely push the thing at first! They say 6 weeks and it takes 6 weeks!!! Rest yourself. let hubby or someone else continue to take care of you. (I sat in the car when he did grocery shopping for a long time.)
Unread 11-10-2007, 07:23 PM

your ovaries may not have started working again yet. i wouldnt worry about it. everyone heals at different rates. just take it slow and do what you can.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2007, 07:24 PM

Every surgery is different, and everyone's body is different to it. I had a hyst with a fibroid about 2 lbs, and the ovaries were left. I had ONE slight adhesion.

As you said, "massive endo like stuff that had to be scraped off my organs" - HECK, of COURSE you are exhausted.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else - listen to YOUR body. Pain tells you to slow down.

Please read and even print out the Hyst checkpoints here:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/mycheckpoint.php

I was tired for a LONG time after surgery. Be gentle with yourself, and learn to say 'no'. "I'd like to go to WalMart with you, but my doctor says/I need a bit more healing time," etc.
Unread 11-10-2007, 07:42 PM

Yep, after three months I still have someone push me around WalMart in a wheelchair. I can walk slowly and I work part-time but get really tired by 2:30. If you feel ambitious, I invite you to read my lengthly posting about recovery in reply to Maureen "It's been six weeks and I'm still tired." - Dawn
Unread 11-10-2007, 08:11 PM

I had my TAH/BSO 2 days before you and YES fatigue is probably my biggest issue. From most of the people I've talked to and things I've read this is very normal. My doctor told me from the beginning that this would be the thing that I probably noticed the most and she was right! We've had major surgery and our bodies are healing...that takes a lot of energy. Hang in there...you're OK!
Unread 11-10-2007, 08:57 PM

I'm almost 2 weeks post op and I'm totally where you are, Synzi. No energy, no desire. I am a reclining potato, 100%. I have only gotten dressed once since I came home from the hospital and that was only because I needed to go see my doctor.
Unread 11-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Well, I'll take the $1,000,000 per hour, but only if it's AFTER taxes.

Like the other (((sisters))) said, you're not at all out of the norm. The initial recovery period is 6-8 weeks, and that's just an average! I'm trying to remember what I felt like at 3-4 weeks, and I have flashbacks to an ill-fated shopping trip. I was just going to "run" to a nearby city for a few things.... Ha! It was sooooo bad that the Target employees were offering to take me to my car. (Not my purchases, mind you...they wanted to take me to my car. You know it's bad when teenaged boys start sprouting customer-service wings at the Bullseye Boutique!! )

I didn't lift a finger around the house except to read stories to my 3-year old. My dd did all the cooking, dh did the laundry and took care of the 3-year-old, and I had a cleaning woman come in and do everything else.

And for my six-week checkup at the doctor, I was soooo proud that I drove myself the one hour to the clinic! I walked up to the receptionist desk (I was a few minutes early -- again, sooo proud ) and sat down. I felt a little tired, and thought to myself..."I'll just put my head down on this chair next to me for a minute. It'll feel good to close my eyes." 45 minutes later I woke with a start and gave a frantic look to the receptionist. She said, "Don't worry -- he had an emergency. I didn't want to wake you." I had even drooled on the chair. I concluded that I had not quite "healed" from the post-op fatigue.

I took six weeks off work, and I really should have taken eight.

Another really important point is that I often felt like I took one step forward, two back, two forward, one back.... and that continued until about week 5. My doc told me that as long as I could say I "generally" felt better than the week before, I was doing OK -- but that I should just take it easy and give myself a break.

to you. We're all there with ya!
Unread 11-11-2007, 04:45 AM

I feel you, girl. I am now 8 weeks out from TAH and I have days that I am so tired after work. I went back to work in 6 weeks and I don't have a stressful job. It just takes a while to get even close to being normal again. I did nothing until about the 3rd week then it was very light. It was 6 weeks before I did anything major around the house.
Try to be patient and be pamper yourself no matter what friends and family may think-LOL[b]
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:14 AM

Don't feel guilty! My doctor said nothing but rest and walking for six weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register