Change in tastes? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Change in tastes? Change in tastes?

Unread 11-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Change in tastes?

Hi morris1968

I too seem to have lost most of my sense of taste at the moment, very annoying. I haven't lost my appetite at all though, unfortunately!! Oh well, will have to stick to the strong cheese on toast and salad cream on everything else!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Change in tastes?

Do you think it is the hormones or a side effect from surgery? I've had surgeries before - c-section and others - and I've never had this afterwards. Very interesting, isn't it?!
Unread 11-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Change in tastes?

Before my surgery my oldest DD got me eating Hummus...I could have it during the day and be satisifed until supper, I liked it and it's good for you....since surgery it really doesn't taste good to me....Haven't had the want to try it again either....

I also drink alot of water with lemon hot and cold...it is very good for water retention....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 02:00 PM
Change in tastes?

Wow. I'm in the same boat. I'd been making a concerted effort to get off my diet Coke habit before surgery and had been unable to stick with it. It is so bad for you...I love it, but the aspartame is basically liquid poison. Anyway, I decided that since I'd have a morphine pump, it could assist in handling my diet Coke withdrawals/DTs after surgery. It has been 2.5 weeks and I had half of one when my sister stopped by with a junkfood treat. It wasn't that good. I'm going to make it a once-in-a-while treat and not keep it in the house.

I've been drinking a ton of water and cranberry juice. Honestly, my moods are much better and my body feels better with that vs. the diet Coke. I'm kind of having that zolt of insight that I'm not a kid anymore. I'll be 42 next week and I don't bounce back as quickly as I did to wrongs against my body. If I over-do it at the gym, I feel it. If I have an extra glass of wine, I feel it. If I overindulge food-wise, I feel like poo. I'm determined to make healthier choices.

That said, dh just asked what I wanted from McD's. lol!
Unread 11-11-2007, 04:44 PM
Change in tastes?

I am relieved to know that others have had the same phenomenon since their hysters! I really thought I'd lost my marbles when I realized that I couldn't really enjoy the foods I used to crave and my appetite is greatly diminished. Additionally, I'm soooooo incredibly thirsty all the time AND my nasal passages have dried up on me! (and everyone worries about vaginal dryness!)

Just waiting for the pounds to drop off......
Unread 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
Change in tastes?

Speaking of the vaginal dryness I read somewhere on this site someone posted that if you eat yogurt everyday that will help...

I also read somewhere here that eating yogurt also helps to reduce belly fat...(a study done by yoplait)

Between drinking lemon water for water retention and eating yogurt for the dryness and belly fat it all should be really easy.... RIGHT ?

Good Luck and Take Care.......
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:58 PM
Change in tastes?

I would think that with eating less and not drinking all the sodium from the Diet Coke that I wouldn't have this swollen belly. No such luck. It hasn't quite been 2 weeks yet. I can tell I'm losing weight in my waist, but this swelly belly thing is the pits. Will it really go away at some point?
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:01 PM
Change in tastes?

I have had the same issue! Everything tastes wierd and I have had no appetite at all! I hope it passes soon as I went into this very thin and I really don't want to lose too much. It's just hard when things you do love taste wierd now and everything else sounds ucky.

It's nice to know I'm not alone in this!

Starbgirl

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register