4 weeks post op - pain in right groin area | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 weeks post op - pain in right groin area 4 weeks post op - pain in right groin area

Unread 11-11-2007, 05:29 AM
4 weeks post op - pain in right groin area

Hi ladies, I am looking for a bit of advice/support.

I am 4 weeks and 2 days post TAH. For the last few days I have had this pain which seems to be in my groin area on the right hand side (I get it very mildly and only very rarely on the left side). I suppose you could say its just underneath the very end of my incision. I first got it whilst trying to get onto my side in bed, but it has got worse and worse in the last few days and happens when I cough, sneeeze laugh etc. but also as sson as I lay flat in bed and when I walk. The past 2 nights it has woken me several times and actually made me cry out last night. I would describe it as an intense burning pain (which can become a very sharp pain at night) on the inside but it also seems to make it worse by touching it. And when walking it can make me limp as it feels like its pulling sometimes.

Any ideas as to what this may be? I cannot feel any lump and it is not hot to touch. I will try and get an appointment with my GP tomorrow (no surgeons post op for another 2 weeks) as this is not getting better and I am having to take more and more painkillers, only at night as when I am sitting I get no pain from it. I am taking more painkillers now that I did in the 2 weeks after the op. This is worrying me as it is preventing me from getting exercise as when I walk, after a minute or 2 I start getting this pain so cannot go anywhere. And also I have not had a good nights sleep for ages.

I hope all of you sisters are doing well!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 08:34 AM

Hi (((Tori)))
This sounds very painful. I'm sorry I can't tell you what it is. When pain starts new like this after several weeks, it really needs to be checked by a dr. There are things like hematomas that can develop near an incision and cause pain like this.
I didn't have this happen and am really not much help other than to send some s your way. I hope you can get right in tomorrow and get this checked out. Please let us know what you find out. Hopefully there will be some others along who have a similar experience and can shed more light on this for you.
's, Rita
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:43 AM

Thanks for the hugs Rita, they are very much needed. I am very worried so will definately go to Dr tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 11:30 AM

I had a LAVH with bladder sling on 11/5/07 and the surgeon told me to expect the worst pain in the lower right groin area because that is where most of the work was done. Since mine was laproscopic it may not be the same reason. That hurts most when I try to lie down, sit down or get up from bed or a chair - like a pulling pain.
Unread 11-11-2007, 11:45 AM

Thanks for your reply sissel. I hope you are well.

I hope that it is something like that, I will ask the dr if this could be the case. What worries me is that it came on after 3 weeks of surgery and not straight away.

I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.

((((HUGS))))
Unread 11-11-2007, 02:57 PM

You described the location of my pain, as well. It doesn't hurt for long and a change in position usually helps. I've had pain in weird places or so it seems. I had some pain in my waist area.
Unread 11-11-2007, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetowalk
You described the location of my pain, as well. It doesn't hurt for long and a change in position usually helps. I've had pain in weird places or so it seems. I had some pain in my waist area.

Sorry to hear you are getting this too! If you have it also perhaps its perfectly normal. Will let you know what the dr says tomorrow.

Take care.
Unread 11-11-2007, 04:28 PM

I am also having some pain in right groin area - seems worse when underwear are on. I had a TAH w/BSO and had experienced some pain in that area before surgery as well. Dr. said my bladder was stuck to my uterus and colon, so I'm assuming this may be some lingering adhesion pain. But I have my post op on Thursday and will be bringing it to her attention.
Unread 11-12-2007, 02:53 AM

Sorry that you are in so much pain. I also have pain which is worse than it was two weeks ago i will be 5 weeks tomorow and i am on more pain killers but i have dissolveable stitches inside as do most of us but when they start to dissolve the muscles have to work and ours may not be ready yet. i was advised to expect some pain. Hope your doctor is able to clarify things for you.

Susan x
Unread 11-12-2007, 03:01 AM

Hi, all.

Just back from the dr. He said it is muscular/ligament pain and nothing to worry about. Looks like I may have pulled something in the groin area at some point. I did feel a bit silly as I was convinced it was something more sinister. But its a relief to know there is nothing majorly wrong. He also said that it looked like I was healing nicely and the incision looked good!

He has given me ibuprofen as they are anti-inflamatory and said it should get better within the next week or so and if not I am to go back. Also said I should take the painkillers regularly after meals and get back to walking as this will also help.

Thanks so much for your kind words and support ladies!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register