Not losing weight - water retention? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not losing weight - water retention? Not losing weight - water retention?

Unread 11-11-2007, 01:09 PM
Not losing weight - water retention?

Oh wise sisters who have travelled before me... hear my plight and lend me your knowledge.

I had my TAH on 31st July, so what's that? 31/2 months ago or so. I'm generally feeling fabulous despite some hiccups in my recovery, like a pulmonary embolism and a tennis ball sized cyst (*sigh*) and only the scar reminds me that I had the surgery. I still have my ovaries.

ANYWAY... having put on a few kilos while recovering, I have been full-on trying to lose it again. I'm eating well and exercising, but my weight is not shifting one bit! It's been 3 weeks, so there should be some signs by now. It's very bizarre as I've never had trouble losing weight before, as long as I do the right things.

I suspect I'm retaining water as I seem to swell up (my watch is really tight this morning), but I've never had this before. Are my hormones out of control? Anyone else facing or faced this?
Any tips would be very welcome as it's driving me crazy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 01:56 PM

I don't know about the hormone thing and water retention ...
My belly has the swelly thing going on also, sometimes more than others...No suprise after what all was taken out..

One thing I know is good for the water retention is to drink water with lemon....I drink it hot or cold, tho I prefer to have it hot with a little sweetener in it.... I know it does make a difference, maybe it would help you too...

Good Luck and Take Care !!!!!
Unread 11-11-2007, 02:06 PM

Thank you "11306em" - I know I don't drink as much water as I should so I'll give that a go
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 02:08 PM

Sorry! Just saw in your signature that you're Brenda... thank you Brenda
Unread 11-11-2007, 02:38 PM

If you think you are retaining water then you are not drinking enough. You need the extra water to help flush it out. Drink at least 6-8 8oz glasses of water a day.

Watch the amount of caffeine and sodium you consume as they can impact water retention.
Unread 11-11-2007, 04:29 PM

Hi helga_t, Do not give your body 3 weeks to lose a pound because you will only disappoint yourself if you constantly give your body "deadlines" If you are indeed doing all the right things your body will start to melt away inches then pounds. Must be patient. Did not take 3 weeks to put weight on so it will take more than 3 weeks to take it off. Metabolism may have slowed down for whatever reason....age, not eating correctly, not exercising. Try and switch your aerobics, the body gets use to certain activity and sometimes needs a challenge. I have been on the weight rollercoaster for 10 years now and I finally figured it out!!!! What worked 2 years ago does not work now! Initially power walking (a year after my now 17y/o) was born was all I had to do to lose 30lbs over 3 months. Eight years later, walking on tread at incline was all I needed to shed lbs. Then using the elliptical for 45 minutes was all I needed then my body said "we will see about this" and I plateaued with weight loss. I had to do something different. I did the old fashion stairmaster for 15 minutes, tread for 15", elliptical for 15", and bike for 15" and weights and behold my weight started to peel off. Also, you must eat to lose especially now that we are a little older!!!
Unread 11-11-2007, 07:32 PM

helga_t......your so very welcome, I do drink quite a bit of water and also take a water pill from the DR....I think for some of us our body just plain wants to hold on to all the water it can.....

I've also read on the site somewhere that eating yogurt everyday helps reduce belly fat (from a study done by yoplait) And someone else said it also helps for vaginal dryness....I guess it can't hurt anything....

With all that info it all should be so very easy....RIGHT !!!!

Good Luck and Take Care....
Unread 11-12-2007, 09:22 AM

I had a problem losing weight after my surgery also. Into my 6th month I joined Weight Watchers and Curves for Women. Since Oct 9th (1 month) on WW I have already lost 10 1/2 lbs. I have 15 lbs to go to reach goal.

The exercise program at Curves helped out to get my metabolism going....which was very sluggish from sitting around after surgery.

The group support & encouragement of everyone at WW & Curves for Women really worked for me. I feel so much better and water retention is not a problem since I cut down on the fats and spices. Actually I think weight loss alone may have helped with the problem.

Warning: I received the OK to exercise 6 month Post-Op, prior to that my GYN/ONC said just walking was good exercise. So please check with your dr before joining any exercise program.

Good luck with your nutional program and weight loss.
[i]
Unread 11-12-2007, 10:38 AM

Since surgery if I eat salty foods like chinese food. I retain water for a few days longer then usual. I then drink extra water and it helps to flush it out. It seems to be worse since surgery. I'm starting to have weight gain right in the middle and on my back in the middle. This all seems to be more so since surgery. It all makes me wonder about what changes my body is going through.
Unread 11-12-2007, 01:20 PM
feeling strange 4 months out

Hi--I pray someone out there will relate to this--I had my hysterectomy 4 months ago everything has been taken except the right ovary--I am now having some stange symptoms--very achy joints, bad headaches, horrible moodswings--snappy and weepy!! I also have painful bowel movements--could this be related to the hysterectomy or am I just going crazy-- I thought after 4 months I would feel like a million bucks--I thought because I had an ovary left I would just have the typical ovulation things--but this is crazy--I felt better 2 weeks after my surgery then I do now!!! HELP!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register