Inflamed and itchy "down there' | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Inflamed and itchy "down there' Inflamed and itchy "down there'

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Inflamed and itchy "down there'

I am 4 weeks post-op from a TAH/BSO today. I think that I am healing pretty well and most of the pain is gone but I am very inflamed and itchy all around my vulva...it even looks a little bit swollen. It kind of feels like a yeast infection but I don't think that it is - I'm not seeing anything to indicate that. Sorry that this is so yucky but has anyone else experienced this? It's driving me crazy!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:54 AM

SailOn

I'm glad your recovery is going well! It does sound suspiciously like a yeast infection ~ they're quite common following this surgery. I've had ones in the past where nothing "yukky" has shown up for a while; I found that happened when it was advanced.

The best thing you can do is contact your doctor. If it's not a yeast infection, then at least he'll (hopefully) be able to prescribe something to help. Will you let us know how you get on?

Wishing you all the best and hope you're comfortable, very soon!

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:05 AM

I have a large red patch of itchy skin on either side, where my crotch meets my leg and also a patch up on my hip. I think it is yeast, although I don't have any vaginal discharge and my vagina isn't itchy. I have a call in to my doc, I think there is something oral we can take now instead of just the cream? I wouldn't be surprised if it is yeast, having a powerful antibiotic during surgery, then not having that area really "aired out" for a couple of days would encourage yeast overgrowth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:12 AM

Hi - I had to go on powerful anitbiotics just after my surgery for a bad UTI. My Dr prescribed the Diflucan pills to ward off the yeast. I have taken them in the past and they are great - a one pill treatment. They can be a little hard on your tummy though.

Good Luck,

Starbgirl
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:16 AM

Thanks to both of you for your response. Tracyellen, I also have a red patch of itchy skin on my inner thigh near my crotch. I've never had a yeast infection like this before but I will call my doctor today. I'll will let you know what I find out. Hugs to both of you.
Unread 11-12-2007, 10:51 AM

Well, I just talked to my doctor and she believes that it probably is a yeast infection. I am to start the 7 day treatment of Monistat today (I guess we're breaking the "nothing in your vagina for 6 weeks" rule for this!) Thanks for your replies.
Unread 11-12-2007, 10:57 AM

Thanks for updating us and I hope things improve, very soon!

Unread 11-12-2007, 12:08 PM

Ugggggg I just finished my first one in years a week before surgery hope not to get another.
Unread 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailOn
Well, I just talked to my doctor and she believes that it probably is a yeast infection. I am to start the 7 day treatment of Monistat today (I guess we're breaking the "nothing in your vagina for 6 weeks" rule for this!) Thanks for your replies.
i'm just curious why your dr would want you to use 7 day monostat in your vagina so close to your surgery when taking one diflucan pill by mouth would do the same thing? if you arent feeling relief relatively quick, i'd call him back and ask for the diclucan.
Unread 11-12-2007, 09:38 PM

I thought that it was a little bit odd, too, but decided not to question her about it. She seems to think that enough healing has taken place that this is the most appropriate treatment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register