15 wks post-op, maybe this can help someone | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

15 wks post-op, maybe this can help someone 15 wks post-op, maybe this can help someone

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:48 AM
15 wks post-op, maybe this can help someone

It's been quite a few weeks since I've checked in on everyone (nursing school is kicking my rear). I just wanted to take a few moments and give an update in the hopes that maybe someone who needs reassurance will find it here. We read so many scary stories and I thought maybe a positive one is what the Dr. ordered!

I had an uneventful LAVH on August 9th and I kept both ovaries. Some of you may remember my moods were all over the place. I am happy to report that somewhere around 8 weeks my moods leveled off without the help of medication.

I also started spotting continuosly around the 5 week mark (no previous spotting). I went to see the Dr. at 6 weeks and he told me he didn't want to use silver nitrate, he wanted to let my body do it's thing. Well, I was not happy with that answer! He told me to call him around Christmas if it hadn't cleared up. I guess he's worth every penny I paid him because about two weeks ago, finally, my spotting completely stopped. I was about 13 weeks post-op. So for those of you with issues in that area, it will get better. It just takes some of us alot longer.

I remember being so tired for many, many weeks. I can say that around week 12 this went away. I am back to my normal energy levels and can even keep up with all 6 kids! Again, it takes some of us alot longer, lol.

Let's talk about sex I was so scared that I wouldn't let DH come near me for the first 10 weeks. The Dr. had given the OK, even with the spotting. When I finally gave in, I was surprised that it didn't hurt. We went very slowly of course, I could tell I was not 100%. We have tried a few times since then and every time keeps getting better. Last night was the best so far, I had no pain and no bleeding. I asked DH if he hit the "end" and he said yes. I know some of you are worried about what your partners feel......DH said it is sft and pliable, much better to him than hitting a hard cervix. That was a great relief.

I guess I am about 16 weeks out now and I must admit that I only think about my hyster every few days. That has surprised me the most. There was a time when it was always on my mind. I am still careful about what I lift (just in case) but it's mostly large, heavy items I refuse (like furniture).

If this helps just one woman see a light at the end of their tunnel, it was worth my time. It's such a scary time in our lives and I know I didn't read enough positive posts on here to give me hope during my darkest hours. We all heal at different rates and it can be quite discouraging when you hear others rapidly healing. I thought I was never going to be "normal" again. Well, I guess I'm not. I'm better than my old normal. No more pain and no more bleeding after sex. This was the best thing I have ever done for myself.

You ladies take care of yourselves, keep your chins up and stay positive. I am off to study (and try not to convince myself I have the diseases I am studying)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 07:56 AM

Thank you so much for your post. I am 6 wks tomorrow and I feel like I will never feel normal again. I've been blessed to come this far with no serious complications, but just the normal fatigue, constipation, worrying if I'm doing too much etc. It's a very scary time. Whenever I read a positive post from someone who is much further down the road than me, it gives me hope that I will feel hopefully better than normal one day soon. Thanks for the uplift! I'm happy that you are doing great.
Unread 11-12-2007, 07:58 AM

Thanks, even I needed to hear that and its been 8 weeks since my TAH. Dealing with some low back pain issues. Actually couldn't decide if I should see gyne, neurologist, ortho, or family practice MD. I am a RN (glad that you are on your way too!) and I really want to start by seeing an ortho MD but I will allow family practice MD to see me and figure it all out within 15 minutes Take care and thanks for letting us know the end of rainbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 08:19 AM

Thank you Mrs Brady for your post! I have had some complications and even though I'm not quite one week out yet it has been hard to see people feeling great, eating, taking little pain meds. I wanted to be one of those and I was convinced since I am athletic and in great shape that I would be. I didn't even consider the alternative. The only thing I worried about was the sex thing! LOL.....In any case I love hearing that even though you had your down moments they passed and life is good once again. I'm going to remind myself that as I head out the door this morning to hopefully leave this catheter at the Dr's office and be on to some speedy healing!!

Thanks,

Starbgirl
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:19 AM

Thanks for the much needed relief. I am ending my 6th week (TAH,left both ovaries) I too was granted with no serious compliations except for a Urinary Tract infection a couple days after surgery. its nice to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel.(no pun intended, lol) I am still concerned about the lifting when I go back to work on 12-4-07. that will be my 8 week mark. i usually have to lift somwhere around 40 lbs. Wondering if I need a note from the dr. about this before I go back. I will not see him again , unless there is a problem.
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:40 AM

Mrs. Brady thank you sooo sooo much. I have regularly been thinking I am never be myself again. You are so right about us all being different. I don't know when it will happen for me, but a post like yours gives me hope that it will happen one day.
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:41 AM

As you get further along in your recovery you will begin to feel much better. I am about 17 weeks post op now and I am feeling normal again. I have had some strange pains here and there but nothing too serious. I still watch what I lift and what I do. I am still trying to get a handle on these hot flashes. I wear the vivelle dot patch and it helps me, I am down to about 1 hotflash in the morning and 1 at night. I am glad about that. It just takes time. I thought after 6 weeks I would feel normal but my stomach is still numb in some areas and I still have some soreness. I read on this sight that some of the internal healing takes 6 months to a year, so be careful in moving and doing too much and exercising. I have been walking for the past 4 weeks and I am feeling so good. Hope you other sisters are taking your time and just healing.
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:58 AM

Thank you sisters who are further along than us. I am 3 1/2 weeks post op. Thank G-d I haven't had any complications but the emotional toil it took on me for the first 2 weeks was pure torture. Right now the biggest obstacle I need to overcome is the severe fatigue. I feel fine for 12 hours and then BOOM like I hit a brick wall I get exhausted and have to fight to stay up the next couple of hours. Going food shopping for one hour is a tiresome chore. Pre op I was a late night person could stay up until 1 am and wake up at 8 am. It is good to know that this all gets better. I can't wait until I feel a sense of normalcy.
Would love to take a Christmas vacatiob but just don't know if I will be up for it then.
Unread 11-12-2007, 01:41 PM

Thanks for the good news, I had my surgery on 10-1-07 and have not gone back to work yet.I have good days and then it feels like I have hit a brick wall.My Doc,
says six weeks before we should start work boy is that right, I know if i had to be
back right now it would be rough. So I guess we should be gentle with ourselves,
and go slowly. It is so good to have this site to help us get on with our lives
Sincerely, Fela
Unread 11-12-2007, 02:34 PM

i'm so happy to see that youre feeling so good...happy holidays

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register