How realistic do you imagine this is? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How realistic do you imagine this is? How realistic do you imagine this is?

Unread 11-12-2007, 10:00 AM
How realistic do you imagine this is?

My supervisor, who had a TAH done 35 years ago, keeps telling me that by 2 weeks post-op I'm going to be ready to be up and out of the house.

First of all, my supervisor and her husband are (now tentatively, so there's hope!) leaving on Dec. 18th to go to CA for the holidays. That's exactly 2 weeks post-op for me and she would need me to come in a couple of hours a day just to make sure things are running smoothly. I wouldn't have to stay even half a day, and all I would be doing is sitting at my desk, reviewing the staff's work. I wouldn't have to drive, my DH would be able to get me there and back.

Also, right around that same timeframe, we'll be having our company Christmas luncheon. Even if I'm not back in the office yet for a couple of hours a day, my supervisor thinks I'll be more than ready to go out for lunch. She says that there's no reason that I'd have to miss - that half the recovery is in my head, and if I tell myself I can do it, I can.

What do you think? Will I be ready for a couple of hours out of the house each day at 2 weeks post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 10:08 AM

That will be entirely up to you! After my emergency surgery in Oct (removal of a monster cyst and my right over trans abdominally) I was up and around 2 wks after my surgery. After 1 wk I was at the doctor's office getting my staples removed and going for 15-20 minute walks outside. I did still take naps during the day as I would get tired easily. But I did get stronger every day. I am hoping the same thing occurs when I have my hyst next Monday! I don't want to be too down and out for Thanksgiving nor do I want to spend it in the hospital!
Unread 11-12-2007, 10:19 AM

I think she is being unreasonable. You might feel great after two weeks and I hope you do, but you don't know right now how you will feel. Plus if you have endo and they remove some of it you might be a little more sore from that. Everyone is so different. I didn't have an abdominal hyst but after 2 weeks I did not feel like getting dressed up and going in and sitting even for a couple of hours - and I feel like I am having a great recovery so far.

It should be YOUR choice. At this point, I would prepare her for you NOT feeling like it so if you don't there is not an issue. Plus, if you don't want to argue with her, let the doctor take the heat - if your doctor says you absolutely cannot work for a certain period of time, you have to follow that. Don't get pressured into doing too much too soon - you are the one who will suffer for it! I hope everything goes great and good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 10:21 AM

I was out and about at 2 weeks with a TVH, but no where near ready for even a couple of hours at work. Even now, at almost 4 weeks post op, I'm not sure what each day is going to hold for me. Some days I feel great, and somedays I feel horrible. My doc told me not to go anywhere near work, as they would want me to come back, and he doesn't want me going back until at least 6 weeks at the soonest. It does really depend on you though.

Tara
Unread 11-12-2007, 10:51 AM

I can't help but cringe reading what your boss had to say. While her healing process many years ago went well, keep in mind that this is MAJOR surgery. And even though you may feel pretty good one day you may feel like crap for the next 2! I am having a TVH with bladder repair ect, trust me, my doctor said that all I would be doing the first couple of weeks would be walking!!!! Granted, different people heal at different rates that's just a given. But there is a reason why your doctor gives you orders on what you are and are not allowed to do. If you don't believe me read some of the sisters on the post-op page that did not follow what the doctor said. Your body is going to be healing from the inside out, and that takes time. I agree with the previous post that your health and taking care of yourself are the primary matters. But then again it will depend on what type of hyster you have and if there will be further repairs, lifting of your goodies ect. This is just my opinion.

Bobbie in Idaho
TVH, anterior repair w/TOT bladder sling
Unread 11-12-2007, 11:13 AM

Thanks everyone!

I have been reading all of the other posts & stories, and have been trying to be very conservative in my expectations. But then, everyone I speak to outside of HysterSisters tells me that I'm being way overly cautious and even PESSIMISTIC! about my recovery. (I got read the riot act by a group of friends the other day for not wanting to commit to a weekend outing for a concert at 9.5 weeks post-op).

Unfortunately, the problem I run into with work is that ours is a very small office with only 3 administrative staff members. We don't have any such thing as medical leave, I don't have disability coverage, and my supervisor didn't announce to me that she was going to CA until after I told her about my surgery. And, well, my supervisor isn't going to put off going home to be with her family for the holidays just because I'm having surgery. She owns the company. It's not likely since I'm well-liked and well-respected, but theoretically, my inability to perform could cost me my job and I'm our family's primary wage earner. Nothing like a little pressure.

I'll forego the Christmas luncheon if I have to (it's only food, after all) - it's not worth risking my health and healing.
Unread 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM

I'm sure you will find the right balance. I know it's a complicated situation but try to take care of yourself the best you can!
Unread 11-12-2007, 03:16 PM

This is major surgery, and you might want to tell your supervisor that you'll need to get clearance from your surgeon before returning to work. This approach removes you from the decision process, and conveys the message that it is a medical, not personal decision as to when you will return to work.
Unread 11-12-2007, 03:19 PM

Remember that you have a legal right to take time off for medical reasons and can't be fired for it. Stand up for your rights and take the time you need to get healthy.
Unread 11-12-2007, 03:49 PM

Actually, my state is an "At Will" state, which means my employer can terminate my employment at any time for whatever reason they choose (except for the typical EEOC designated discriminatory reasons, and a couple of state labor law designations).

My employer is also not required to grant me medical leave (paid or unpaid), due to our company size (6 full-time employees)... we are not protected under the FMLA.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register