Frustrated and Disgusted! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - Yes HRT - Surgical Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Frustrated and Disgusted! Frustrated and Disgusted!

Unread 11-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Frustrated and Disgusted!

Well here's my problem: I know I'm not in balance with my hormones because of how I feel but I'm can't seem to find anyone to help me! I went on the website that someone suggested to find a compounding pharmacy and that's great, thank you, but I need a prescription to USE a compounding pharmacy so where do I find a doctor who can give me prescription for that???

I've spend most of my day calling around to gyno offices trying to explain what I need - "Hello, I lost my ovaries 2 years ago and I feel like crap and my husband thinks I've lost my mind and I'm not the person he married anymore and I'm pretty sure my hormones are out of wack so I'm looking for a doctor who can help me get on a personalized hormone therapy regime by getting me on compounded hormones..." yadda yadda yadda... and NO ONE seems to know anything about it!

So I'm beginning to think either my husband is right and I AM crazy or some of you ladies are very lucky to live where there are those kinds of doctors. I thought with Denver being such a big city this wouldn't be a problem.

I got ahold of my diabetes center where there is an endocrinologist and talked with someone there and she didn't want to make an appt for me to see him because she said she's not sure he could help me.

I told her that I got blood test results from my primary care physician that show I'm in menopause and she said "well you DID lose your ovaries, you're SUPPOSED to be in menopause. GRRRRRRRR!!!!! I KNOW I'm in freakin menopause but I don't WANT to be in menopause! I want someone to help me so I don't FEEL like I'm in menopause!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 03:57 PM

I am sorry you're having such a difficult time right now. Did you ask any of the compounding pharmacies for names of physicians who use their pharmacy? Many times the pharmacist can make recommendations. You may still need to interview those doctors to find the right fit for you, but it is a start.

You could also try asking your primary if he/she knows of any doctors. My primary has been a big help in the past when I have needed specialized help.

Perhaps you should just go ahead and make an appt with the endocrinologist. Just because the person answering the telephone wasn't aware, doesn't mean that the doctor can't help you.

I hope you can find some help.
Unread 11-12-2007, 04:31 PM

I found my gynecologist by calling a compounding pharmacy in my area and asking the pharmacist for the names of doctors who use his compounding services for hormone replacement.
I know how you feel about living in a big city and being frustrated about the lack of help and expertise in the area of bioidentical hormone replacement. I live in Baltimore and have encountered the same thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-12-2007, 05:05 PM

The endocrinologist might be a good bet for you. You also have diabetes to deal with and that may play a part in getting balance on your hormones.

I know all to well the way your are feeling. I hope you find someone very soon who helps. I am not balanced yet but feel better all the time!
Unread 11-12-2007, 05:17 PM

I am not taking any hormones now, but a couple of years ago when I was having some perimenopausal symptoms I went to an osteopath and he wrote me a prescription for compounded progesterone at a local pharmacy. Maybe an osteopath could help. He was also good about knowing what nutrition could help me find balance. Unfortunately in the end the endo won but I do think he helped me!
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM

You could also check the website for the North American Menopause association . . . menopause.org. They have a list of physicians who have registered with them and specialize in menopausal issues. Possibly there might be someone on that list close to you. Hope you find someone soon.
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:25 PM

Uh...ask one or all the compounding pharmacists in your area WHO prescribes hormones compounded by the compounding pharmacist. They usually have a list of doctors, medical professionals including nurse practitioners.
Unread 11-13-2007, 05:55 AM

Hi, Have you tried a reproductive endocrinologist? I have had some luck and they since they have cross training, its like having 2 docs in 1. I have found that many of them are much more open to alternative methods. Good Luck & hope this helps. Hugs!
Unread 11-13-2007, 07:23 PM

I had a hard time finding a doc. to do the bio-identicals for me too, but once I found a pharmacy that did the compounding, I spoke with the pharmicist and he rattled off about 5-6 docs. that they worked with. I hope you are able to find some help soon!
Unread 11-17-2007, 05:47 PM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I haven't found anyone yet but hope to soon...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register