Ongoing Complications - I could cry!! (update) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ongoing Complications - I could cry!! (update) Ongoing Complications - I could cry!! (update)

Unread 11-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Ongoing Complications - I could cry!!

So as I sit here today waiting for a ride to the Dr I have a fever over 102 despite having taken 3 ibuprofens 1 1/2 hours ago!! My sister left last night as I was supposed to be ok by now. I am newly divorced and live alone so now I have to start calling out favors to get help. Ugh!

I've had my ongoing pee problem since my surgery which still isn't better. I'm hoping the fever is related to that and nothing else.

I'm so sad!! Why won't my body behave and just heal correctly! I'm mad at the nurses at the hospital. I feel I got horrible nursing care and that is what led to this! I feel like Yul Brinner!! Here I am healthy, eat right, runner, 112 lbs, all the things you are supposed to do and here I am 1 week post op sick, not healing and this morning down to 104.5 lbs!!! I didn't want to lose weight! I have been in the car almost everyday to either the Dr or back to the castle. I don't want to go in the car AGAIN! I want to rest and sleep and heal!!

Ok thanks for listening to my rant. I needed to get that off my chest.

Definitely still a sad Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 10:53 AM
Ongoing Complications - I could cry!! (update)

Starbgirl, I am so sorry to hear about your complications. I'm glad you are getting to the doctor to get looked at. It is frustrating when things don't go how you think they should. You are in my prayers that you recovery will smooth out and you will start feeling better. I hope after this appointment, you will get to just rest, sleep, and heal.
Unread 11-13-2007, 10:54 AM

Hey, you do need to get that fever checked out to find the problem. I hope it is just a bladder infection. Maybe this time they will get things moving in the healing direction. Good Luck, call in the favors. Most people are happy to help they just need to be asked. Then later you can help them -especially since you'll know how much it is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 12:40 PM

Oh, starbgirl, you are having quite a time aren't you? I'm so sorry! I really hope that the doctor is able to help you. I know it must be so hard for you. Please don't be afraid to ask others for help. I'm sure most of them would be more than happy to help if they knew they were needed.

I am beginning to think my pre-op nurse was a big liar. She told me the thinner you are, the easier you recover from this surgery. She told me she had a friend who also had a TVH with my doctor, and she was up and walking upright and just as wonderful as could be by the night of surgery -- all she claimed because she was so thin. Clearly, you and I are proof that being thin going into surgery guarantees absolutely squat.

Please take care of yourself and let us all know how you are doing. I'm really worried about you, and I hope this turns around for you soon. I'm sending you a and please know that you will be in my thoughts.
Unread 11-13-2007, 12:52 PM

Hugs and more hugs comming your way!You may be right about the post op nursing care.I have been fighting with bladder issues since I came home and now i have a UTI and even my doc said it was more than likely due to the fact that I was not cathed promtly and my bladder had 1000cc of urine in it for all most an hour and that let bacteria get a good hold on my bladder.I have been thin most of my life untill right before surgery since I gained allmost 25 pounds from april untill oct.but i am still not over weight and i was told the same thing that i would heal quicker what a big lie!!!I hope you turn the corner soon,
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:10 PM

Thanks so much ladies. I just got back from the Dr and he's going to send my urine to the lab to see what antibiotic might be more effective than the Levaquin I've had by IV / mouth for my UTI. Also I peed 100cc's but sadly by cath I was still withholding 375cc's so he wants me to keep drinking and peeing today and come back at 4pm. He said then I would go again and he would look via the ultrasound to see if I was still withholding. If so I have to go back on the home cath. I just got it out yesterday!! Wah! I didn't even ask at that point what would happen next if that were the case. My poor urethra is SO sore from having the cath already. Plus the first three tries today nothing came out. It worked on the 4th try. I'd like to blame him and his nurse but a while back I went to a urologist for something totally unrelated and he took more than one try too! Wierd. I must have a funky one.

I thought about asking for the straight cath to do myself at home but like I said I am SO sore there and I think I'm too chicken!!

I'll update agin after 4pm.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts - they mean alot.

Starbgirl
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:11 PM

Jenny,
You are only two weeks out from your surgery. Thin or fat it is going to be a good 6 weeks or longer! I'm over weight and I was at 7 weeks before I really felt like I could bend over without consciously thinking about what would hurt in my stomach. I though I'd should be feeling great by 3 weeks, but I wasn't. It really does take a lot of healing time. Don't push yourself and get lots of rest.
Karen Hope 707 Aug. 29
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Jenny - I KNOW that's what started this whole thing!! The first night in the hospital my cath wasn't working and it backed up. They didn't even notice!! I kept feeling bad even through the morphine and the stuff they gave me for nausea which made me SO wasted. I kept complaining so finally I begged her to stand up and when I did more than 800 cc's came out right away. So she says "oh it must have had a kink". So I lay back down and an hour later I'm feeling horrible again so I ring for her again and stand up and it comes pouring out AGAIN!! So then they took it out. BUT shouldn't THEY notice that the bag isn't filling up?? Don't they check that?? Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think the drugged up patient who just had surgery that day should be alerting them over and over until they figure out that my stinkin cath wasn't working!!! And then by Thursday of course I was witholding 1200cc's and the rest is history!!

And Hope I completely agree with you. It's obvious that weight has nothing to do with anything. It's frustrating though when a person does try so hard to take good care and things just keep breaking. One of my BF's is very overweight and her health is MUCH better than mine. The last 2 yrs have been tough for me that's why I feel like Yul Brinner.

Starbgirl
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:54 PM

I agree that you are right that having that much urine in your bladder was just asking for an infection,I thought that the nurses should have noticed that i had not urinated for 12 hours but they didnt and i had to beg just to get cathed!i have never had that sort of pain in my life!so much for bed side manner!i took my doc writing an order to cath me every 3 hours or they would do it when they had time when every it may be.now i am waiting on a urine culture to come back to see what antibiotic i need to be on and praying that it is not like the last one i had where i had to have iv gentamycin for 6 weeks it was not a fun time!good luck,
Unread 11-13-2007, 02:06 PM

starbgirl I am sorry for your difficulties. I hope the docotor can help you and things will get better. You are probably right about what happened but it may be more helpful to try and focus on what you can do now, since you can not change the past. Please try and relax so you can rest and heal. Good luck at 4pm.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register