The worst BM EVER!!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

The worst BM EVER!!!! The worst BM EVER!!!!

Unread 11-13-2007, 12:54 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

Okay, had TAH with pubo/vaginal sling surgery on Wednesday the 7th, they removed a soccer ball sized uterus and fibroid. They let me out of the hospital on Friday, feeling tired but pretty good. Last few days, I've been feeling great - moving around well, talked to my nurse about getting on the treadmill, not taking as many pain meds,etc. I have been taking stool softeners since last Thursday, 2x a day and have been eating well. Appetite is good, so three meals a day. I was concerned yesterday am, when I still had not had a BM at all and I had four days worth of solid food....asked nurse if I could add some milk of magnesia, she said fine. Last night, I went in to the bathroom since I thought it might be time. OMG!!! I was on the toilet straining for two hours, tried enema, glycerin suppository...I can feel a huge softball sized chunk of crap wedged in my rectum and I can't get it out. Had to try to reach in with my fingers to disimpact....I'm crying, praying, begging. Had to quit and l laid down with an ice pack in between my legs. I know this is the grossest thread ever! I'm super glad we have no guns in the house, since I wished someone would kill me. I had both my boys without epidurals and this was worse. When I looked at my crotch with a mirror, I was horrified. My vulva and vagina and around my rectum are so swollen, they look unrecognizable. I had to self cath, could barely find my urethra. Finally, around 10 pm, I had horrible cramping pain and had diarrhea that dislodged things. Has this happened to anyone else? I was so worried that I had wrecked something that the surgeons had done, called GYN resident on staff and she wasn't terribly helpful. Waiting for a call back from my doc today, the swelling has gone down a bit, but I'm still freaking out. I am afraid to eat, I'm not going to take any more of my narcotic pain meds and that stool softener seems like it created more of a problem than it helped. Any words of wisdom gals? I know, this thread is long and so terribly gross.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 01:01 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

My poor husband had the same problem after his hip surgery. The drugs just slow the system down so much... and he got impacted, too. He had to go to the emergency room. I understand the fear and pain and my heart goes out to you. If you can drink lots of liquids and lay on your back with a pillow under your knees and really rest for a couple days, it will do you a world of good.
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:02 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

Tracyellen, I went for the big guns right away. I took the full dose of stool softener on day 2 and had the cramping and diarrhea on day 3. The cramping was really bad for several hours, even made me nauseous all night. The good news is that it got rid of all the gas from the surgery, got my bowels moving and I didn't have any more constipation at all.

Once difference between us is that I had a laparosopic hysterectomy so I had no internal sutures.

Even though the experience was bad, I'd do it again considering I got rid of all the gas pain too!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 01:12 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

Oh my TracyEllen... I am so sorry!! I didnt have my first BM until 6 days after surgery. I was taking 2 stool softeners a day and forcing myself to eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. All I could produce was gas and pain. I kept sitting in the bathroom with a pillow on my stomach and tried to do more than pass gas. I spent all day Sunday crying from gas pain, nausea, abdominal pain... sitting upright made me so nauseated that I could barely go to the bathroom just to urinate. Then Monday morning I finally had my 1st BM.. It felt like giving birth to a 10 pound baby. It was the size of a softball. I sat on the couch and cried for a few minutes because the pain was so bad. And I can only imagine yours was 10 times worse and I feel for you. I would keep taking stool softeners and try to push water and fruits and veggies! My thoughts are with you sweetie.
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

The best thing I ever read on this group was the ladies who told us to buy MiraLax and use it. I did, from the first day home. It's a miracle. Pass it on. :-) It's a stool softener and laxative but it's of a completely different make-up than regular over the counter laxatives. It used to be prescription-only, but now you can buy it without. MiraLax. One capful mixed in some water once a day. Awesome stuff.
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

Just called my mom to tell her to pick me up some of the MiraLax, hopefully they have it at Walgreens! What a great message board, no topics off limits, huh?
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:41 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

Tracyellen - Thank you SO much for the laugh!! I needed this so badly today!

My poops have been HORRIBLE too. And just because I don't have enough with my complications they brought my two hemmroid friends (from two births) back to visit!! Today when I went to the Dr I asked him about them and getting some relief and he says well what have you tried? And I said nothing and I'm not going too!!! I want you to write me a presrcription for the strongest hemmroid zapper you have! I'm NOT putting up with this too!! He just said ok - nooooo problem!!

Thanks again this is too funny AND when I pick up my zapper I'm going to get some Miralax too!

Starbgirl
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:49 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

I am definitely going to have DH stop on the way home from work and get MiraLax too! And you ladies do make me laugh. And yes.. TracyEllen.. no topic is off limits. That is what we are all here for!! Its time for a nap. My DD just got home from Kindergarten and I am exhausted.
Unread 11-13-2007, 02:00 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

SO sorry this happened to you! I had horrible difficulties with bm's. I am at 6 weeks and still using fiber and stool softeners. Drink alot, keep up with the softeners, take fiber and if you go a day without a bm take the miralax. You will get better and so will the pain. Please rest in between. Laying with your knees up does help relieve the gas. Hang in there sister, and do not be afraid to post anything. We have all been there and we want to help.
Take care~~
Unread 11-13-2007, 02:27 PM
The worst BM EVER!!!!

I feel for you. I have had trouble with bms since day 1. This past weekend after not having a bm for 3 days my dr told me to take miralax. It does work. I hope it gets better for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register