Discharge....gross!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Discharge....gross!! Discharge....gross!!

Unread 11-13-2007, 08:10 PM
Discharge....gross!!

I'm about 3 1/2 weeks post op and have started having a discharge with a foul odor. It just started a couple days ago. Anybody else had this problem? I didn't have any bleeding after surgery...minimal spotting only at the castle. Had cervix removed... Don't know whether to try and douche or what. It seems to be getting worse. Is there any wonder drug at Wal-Mart??? Did not really want to have to go back to the DR again this soon. He "cut me loose" last week. It's always something... Still no energy yet either...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM
Discharge....gross!!

you should probably go see your dr and make sure you dont have an infection and need antibiotics. i had a bacterial infection and the smell was horrible.
Unread 11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Discharge....gross!!

I also had somewhat of a "gamey" smell coming from my incision area, but I had no vaginal discharge at all, so I can't help you there.

A foul odor could be a sign of infection, or it could simply be the act of your stitches starting to come loose. But it's not uncommon to have odor. If it continues to be bothersome or gets worse, you should check with the for help.

I do not think it would be advisable to douche without consulting your medical team, however. My instructions said "nothing in the vagina" for six weeks and that would include a douche, IMHO.

to you. Do try to remember, this too will pass...although it won't be much fun while it's going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-13-2007, 08:53 PM
Discharge....gross!!

When my doctor outbriefed me at the hospital, her words were "nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks. No sex, no douche." Call the doctor with your question. He may be able to answer it over the phone, or want you to come in. I think the energy level will be lacking for a little while longer. It's all part of the healing.
Unread 11-13-2007, 11:43 PM
Discharge....gross!!

I agree with Muffy387 - DO NOT DOUCHE. My doctor said the same thing - nothing in there for 6 weeks. You risk hurting yourself more.

Call your doctor. Chances are if you're experiencing it, someone else has along the way. If you're getting infection, better to find out early and not end up with lots of adhesions/scar tissue from it. Really. Please call your doctor.

Take care and let us know what you find out.

Christine
Unread 11-14-2007, 11:57 AM
Discharge....gross!!

I have had all this since day 1. Discharge is stitches disolving and it looks yellowish and smells awful. At my 6 week checkup it was still going on and the dr said I was not healed yet and I have to go back in 2 weeks. He said all looked good - just not healed. I'm willing to bet that is what's going on with you.
Unread 11-14-2007, 10:17 PM
Discharge....gross!!

I am post op 1 1/2 years now...with uterus and cervix taken, ovaries still in.
My embarassing question is that I have been noticing that after we have sex, I try to wipe it all out (I know gross), and by the next morning I have this odor. It has no color, or discharge just a weird smell. I do find when I douche it goes away but I can't douche every time we have sex as I don't think douching 5 to 6 days a week is good. Any other ways I can eliminate this odor? All I can think of also is that there is no where for the sperm to go but out or stay and smell bad..arggg.
thanks
Unread 11-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Discharge....gross!!

That's exactly what mine looks like Phylgrl. I did call the doctor today and his nurse said that it's normal to have a discharge for 4-6 weeks. (I'm 4 weeks today) but that the odor shouldn't be really that bad. I told her mine was, and that I thought I might have a bacterial infection (because of the awful smell) and they called me in a prescription today of Flagyl 500 mg. I think it might be a antibiotic, but I'm not sure. Anybody know? That is the 1st time in my life that the doctor called in a prescription without me coming in to see him. Since my doctor/hospital bill was over $16,000 for just a 1 night stay, I guess he has a little spare change in his pocket not to miss my office visit this time. I would be mortified for him to look down there right now anyway. Thank you all so much for all your advice/feedback...Hopefully, these pills will knock it out. If it's not better by early next week, I have to call and make an appt. Thanks again...hope all are healing o.k and I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!
Unread 11-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Discharge....gross!!

flagyl is an antibiotic ..if I am not mistaken is is one you do NOT want to drink any alcohol with . it can make you ILL . I hope you feel better after taking it !! I used to work for planned parenthood and they used to prescribe it and we would tell the girls NOT to drink it will make you SICK . Well those girls wouldn't listen and go out drinking over the weekend and end up sooo soo sick . but even one drink can make you sick . even certain cough medicines. So just a warning . It has somthing in it they use for alcoholics so they won't drink.
Unread 11-17-2007, 12:59 PM
Discharge....gross!!

Tiffany-mine had an awful odor also. He said that was normal too. It isn't quite as bad now. I am 7 1/2 weeks and still having a small amount of discharge. I go back on Wed-I hope he has good news but this is getting ridiculous!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register