Don't let yourself get dehydrated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Don't let yourself get dehydrated Don't let yourself get dehydrated

Unread 11-14-2007, 11:36 AM
Don't let yourself get dehydrated

Ladies,
I'm posting this to you all to save you from what I'm going thru. It's hard to type, I'm clammy and cold at the same time. But you gotta get this info.
Keep yourselves well hydrated. Drink lots of whatever you like, but drink.
Eat a little of something every day. Even cold cereal and milk.
I had a hyster, then a hemorroidectomy 3 weeks later and I lost the will to eat or drink. I lost weight, lost energy, lost my appetite. Coffee wasn't good any more. I didn't want sweet, or smelly, or anything really in my mouth.
By the time i had my doc give me a prescription for something to make me hungry, I was too weak to drive and couldn't get it filled.
Dehydration affects the heart, which affects breathing. Then there's the whole thermostat that the body has to keep us comfy. mine is way off. I'm too hot, then freezing back and fourth. I can barely walk right now and am home alone.
I scared my kids, my dh, all for nothing. Don't let yourselves get to this. It can happen very quickly. My dh is a critical care nurse and he said my heart can't do this again.
Again, take the best care of your bodies. This is a terrible to way to lose wt. I'm 84 pounds and don't know how in the world I'm going to put the wt on right now.
Tracyellen, I've got stories for you, my dear but I'm getting dizzy and gotta go for now.
Hugs to all of my lovely sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2007, 11:49 AM

Idahonurse -hugs to you!! You must have scared yourself too! I'm so glad your Dr gave you something to help. I hope you turn the corner now!!

I too have been suffering with lack of appetite etc. I'm about to dip under 100lbs myself. So today I put myself on a FORCED eat every two hours schedule. Just small but healthy mini-meals. After reading you post I'm glad I did and I want you to know you gave me the resolve to keep it up!!

Please take care of yourself. Rest and get better and my prayers are with you.

Starbgirl
Unread 11-14-2007, 01:03 PM

84 pounds!!! Oh my, get some of that food into you! I'm really sick of soup right now, although it tasted wonderful at first. I drove today for the first time (one week post op) and went to the library and picked up some organic salad at the grocery store....I want some greens. Hopefully, something will sound tasty to you soon, or even if you can drink some Ensure or a meal replacement drink if you can't tolerate solids. Good luck!! I'm waiting to hear your stories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-14-2007, 04:22 PM

My goodness, idahonurse, 84 pounds! And, starbgirl, you're almost below 100! I hope that you both can get your appetites back soon!

Thanks for the precautions, idahonurse. Do take care of yourself! Is there anything that sounds good to you? Maybe you could start with a tiny bit of whatever sounds good to you.

I've been like you, starbgirl, just trying to make myself eat even if I don't want to. I've put aside trying to follow a regular meal plan or adhering to any healthy diet and just go with whatever I think I can eat. Like you, sometimes its just cold cereal with milk. Yesterday, I had a taste for watermelon, so I went with that. I'm only down a pound from my presurgery weight, however, so it's not so much a concern for me as yet as it is for you and idahonurse.

Please take care of yourselves! Big to both of you!

Mich
Unread 11-14-2007, 06:36 PM

Please take care of yourself before things get any worse for you!!
While food might be the last thing on your mind after surgery, you DO need to eat in order to heal!

I hope you get the help you need!
Unread 11-14-2007, 08:02 PM

Update:
Tuesday, had the whole ems team in my bedroom b/c I was a wet noodle whose heart was beating so fast, my breathing couldn't keep up. I was DEHYDRATED. I refused transport and thought I could lick the problem with Gatorade. Less than 24 hours later, my neighbor had to rush me to the ER.
My dh who was supposed to work a 12 hour shift met me there. I was there all day with tons of fluid going thru me. 3,000 cc to be exact and I'm still not making urine. I feel antsy, my temp is still vacillating, it's awful. I ate something once we got home and it's hard to make it stay down. Luckily my doc gave me anti nausea meds. This will be a long, hard road to feel good again. Thanks for the great posts. Mostly I want to prevent even 1 other sister from going thru this. The expense alone should be a great deterrent. Love ya ladies, M
Unread 11-14-2007, 09:51 PM

Awww, HON -

I am a person who loves to eat, but even the 1st 2 wks after surgery, I often left out a meal because my appetite was shot. It was different than being actually hungry - no food I could think of even appealed to me - even chocolate!

I know you can't look an Ensure in the face for reasons you mentioned before.

Ice cream cups? Little ones? With a flat wooden spoon like you loved when you were 5? Or REAL but small milkshakes?

Hopefully you can find some foods that connect with good memories for you, and they can appeal a bit for that reason.

HUGS and please get well!
Unread 11-15-2007, 01:59 PM

Update Wednesday:
An angel showed up at my house today at 08:45 with tons of gluten free food. I have celiac disease so I can't eat wheat, rye, oats, barley or anything made in a factory that produces those. It makes it tough to find stuff to eat. Well she baked last night when she heard what I was going thru. She made me home made soup which I've been eating all day. It was such an answer to prayer. She helped me fold a load of laundry even! Who does that?! This lady is so knowledgeable about celiac, that we took a field trip together to the health food store and she showed me ways that I've been getting gluten. I still don't want to eat, but I am eating. I am drinking. I still get breathless when I move about, but it's getting better.
I got terrible news last night that a cousin was killed in a car accident, as was his girlfriend. Only 18. It gives me goosebumps every time I think about it. So depressing. I'm trying to stay positive, though. I guess I did prevent a sister from going to the castle. starbgirl got a p.mess. from me thanking her for listening. I feel horrid and don't want anyone else feeling like this. I'd be back to work tomorrow if not for this.
Good luck sisters, I love you all, I really do.
Unread 11-15-2007, 02:06 PM

You're in my prayers as you recover from this!!
Unread 11-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Thankyou Dani. I truly need prayer from my sisters. my pastor had a nervous breakdown and can't be supportive for at least 3 months. I've never been much of a food lover, so without an appetite it's that much harder. I believe strongly in prayer and it is sooooo easy to do! We can even do it for each other while sitting in front of the computer. I encourage every sister to pray for others.
Again, Dani, you've touched my heart and THANK YOU.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register