Hormone Patch Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hormone Patch Question Hormone Patch Question

Unread 11-14-2007, 09:02 PM
Hormone Patch Question

I had my hysterectomy on the 10th of October - they took my ovaries out as well...had a hormone patch (Estradiol 0.05 mg/day) on when I came out of surgery but after consulting with one of the doctors at my gyn's...decided I was "old enough" (almost 47) to just forgo the patch and probably be fine without it.

Well, it seemed I was doing fine and then about a week or so ago I started getting the hot/cold/hot/cold every three minutes around the clock deal...talked to another gyn on-call doctor and she suggested I put the patch back on. So I slapped it back on yesterday and it seemed fine by morning. Now it has been starting up with the hot/cold/hot/cold thing again the past few hours and I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.

One of the main reasons I didn't want to do the patch was because there is a history of blood clots on my mother's side of the family - altho the doctor I spoke with last nite felt pretty confident it's really not an issue. I did a bit of researching online today, looked at my PDR's and asked my regular doctor for a lower dosage patch (they all recommend trying the lowest dosage first) - but after what I'm feeling now, I am thinking of just peeling the darned thing off and not risk the side effects.

Any similar events happen with anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2007, 05:52 AM
Hormone Patch Question

I am on the same patch. I think the directions say if it falls off to replace it with a fresh one. How old was yours that you put back on? I would put a fresh one on and see what happens.

I was having frequent hot flashes (I'm 52) prior to surgery and have only had a couple of mild ones since being put on the patch Sunday nights because the effectiveness of the patch is running out. I change the patch Monday mornings. Once I put the new patch on I am ok.
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:16 AM
Hormone Patch Question

There are things that may help you..

Make sure your skin is dry

Use alcohol on the area before applying the patch

Using a blow dryer over the patch

Applying baby power over the patch

Also if your patch is a generic you may want to ask your doctor about trying a name brand since they seem to stick better as well. The prescription has to be as prescribed to get the name brand.

Best of luck to you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2007, 06:21 AM
Hormone Patch Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by capegurl55
I am on the same patch. I think the directions say if it falls off to replace it with a fresh one. How old was yours that you put back on? I would put a fresh one on and see what happens.

I was having frequent hot flashes (I'm 52) prior to surgery and have only had a couple of mild ones since being put on the patch Sunday nights because the effectiveness of the patch is running out. I change the patch Monday mornings. Once I put the new patch on I am ok.
Sorry about the confusion...you misinterpreted what I said...so I undoubtedly worded it ambiguously...I meant "start doing the patch again" when I said "put the patch back on" - I'd never have saved the old one and kept it to put back on at a later date. This is a brand spanking new one...and I'm still having the hot/cold thing going on.
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:49 AM
Hormone Patch Question

I pulled mine off because it made my head hurt all the time. After about 2 weeks I started getting the hot/cold thing but that has been getting better slowly. And my head is much much better. I'm going to tell my doc at my next appointment but unless he can give me a really good reason to put it back on I will try and ride it out! I am also taking calcium.
Unread 11-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Hormone Patch Question

(((NPWriter)))
I use the patch too and I'm 54. My situation is different in that I kept my ovaries. At the time of my surgery I knew I was dealing with perimenopause but decided to try not using anything to see how my body would do. I started in with the hot/cold/hot/cold thing but also suffered with severe brain fog. I had difficulty remembering, making decisions and concentrating.

I don't understand why a dr would say anyone is 'old enough' not to need their main supply of hormones replaced if it has suddenly been removed. I just don't think that's a judgment they can make, standing there looking at you. We see women who were well into menopause who have their ovaries removed and begin to suffer terrible menopausal symptoms. The ovaries supply small amounts of hormones to our bodies, even in menopause.

First, I think you need to find out how large your risk of blood clots is if you use the patch. This is a very important question to have settled as you try to make a decision. If it's true that it's not a big risk for you, then you have to look at your quality of life and how you feel without the hrt. There are a lot of women who also use some form of progesterone to help balance out their symptoms. This is another one of those issues that doctors feel differently about- some are in favor of using it and others are not.

Some weeks I forget I have it on and will also forget to change it. When I do that I sometimes have some hotflashes until my body balances out again. Your body might be needing a little time to find a balance. I use the .05 strength too. I feel good about using the patch because it's bioidentical. There are also things to consider like the health of your bones if you choose not to do hormone replacement. Forty-seven isn't that old. There is a lot of good information in the Hormone Article List if you would like to do some more reading about all this. I know it's a difficult decision with a lot to consider. I wish you well as you make your decision.
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Hormone Patch Question

NPwriter, sorry about misinterpreting your original post. If you are still having hot flashes then I would go back to the doctor and get your blood levels checked. You may need a stronger dose to keep your hormones in balance. Having hot flashes while using the patch sort of defeats the whole purpose so something is not quite right.

I would also discuss with your doctor the options/risks associated with HRT so that you can make an informed decision.
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:51 AM
Hormone Patch Question

I'm on the same patch as well. It's been 3 weeks today since my surgery and I have not noticed any changes in the way I feel other than the surgery aches and pains(TAH/BSO) My pharmacy mistakenly gave me the generic brand of the one my doctor prescribed and I found that it burned and made me ache in that general area. Once I discovered that my pharmacy had made the mistake I got the brand name and have had absolutely no problems at all. I am 51 and you would think I would have been close to menopause naturally but I wasn't and decided I didn't want to wait however many more years for natural menopause to hopefully shrink my softball sized fibroids. My recovery has gone much better than I had imagined and I am very happy that the patch has kept me from having hormonal side effects. As long as I continue to feel good I'll keep the patch on until my doctor and I decide otherwise. Good luck!
Unread 11-15-2007, 09:53 AM
Hormone Patch Question

Sorry you are having these difficulties. I am on the patch also, but 0.10mg.(I am 31 so the shock was terrible). Anyways my thought on this is to wait a while longer for your body to adjust to the patch. You are probably still using up a little of the estrogen you had stored from prior to surgery. It takes some time for the patch to work at the beginning. I personally think that our bodies replenish the stored estrogen before it uses it for what it is supposed to. I am now finally feeling somewhat back to normal. I am also on progesterone to help with the menopause symptoms. I am not a doctor so you would have to ask your doctor if you are a candidate. I know there is a lot of confusion about the use of this with women w/out uterus. I am also taking a herbal supplement to help with the hot flashes. I can't stand being freezing one minute, and then the next I am sweating. Good luck, and if you don't feel better in a couple weeks ask your doctor to do some blood work. If they don't seem to want to help then ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. Since sometimes the thyroid can start acting up after a hysterectomy.

Janelle
Unread 11-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Hormone Patch Question

Well, I want to thank everyone for their replies - it's no fun having to deal with all this and not have anyone to ask about any of it. I stopped a group of women a couple months ago in the grocery store where I shop because they looked "of that menopausal age" and asked if they minded me asking them a few questions about perimenopausal things. Boy...this town isn't exactly friendly - I don't care what they say about the South being friendly...they were way more accommodating in Jersey where I am from originally. They looked at me like I asked them to divulge their innermost sexual secrets...altho, honestly I still have this running bet saying I can talk to any woman, solo, and in 10 minutes she'll be talking to me about some aspect of her sex life. It's true...but I digress...

I went to get an ultrasound today as I was having upper abdominal pain (reminiscent of what I had prior only occurring more frequently after the hysterectomy) and good thing I know the radiologist who owns the clinic as after about 30 minutes of getting the ultrasound I had the results. Is making you wait days and days and days part of the fun for these people normally? I always hated that part of getting any tests run - especially the stoic look of the ultrasound tech...like "Uh...I can't tell you anything but see the look on my face? That's the look I make when I see something REALLY bad...or maybe really good...too bad I won't tell you which." Anyway...it's not a gallbladder or liver or anything like that - so that's good news...so maybe it is adhesions from my previous lung surgery that have moved a little from the space left behind when everything shifted two centimeters when all my "female innards" were removed. Who knows.

I will be getting my 6-week checkup next Wednesday so I will pose a bunch of questions to my doctor...yes, I come prepared...I write them all down...and boy am I talkative! Bwaaahaaahaaa! No one talks more than me - I have quite a few people who can attest to that fact...and would probably be willing to sign an affidavit stating it. I've even had my gastroenterologist ask me if I actually breathe when I talk as he saw no signs of it happening...and this guy was from Philadelphia...where as in Jersey, they are also well versed in the art of talking non-stop.

But I just wanted to say I appreciate all the comments - and feel free to keep them coming!

Mariann

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register