Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION

Unread 11-16-2007, 12:42 AM
Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION

Hello sisters. By no means is this post meant to frighten anyone. I just want to share my recent post op experience in hope that it may help one of you. I had my TVH on 10/30/07. Everything went well, hospital stay and nurses were fabulous, very little pain, got home and settled in for several weeks of recovery.

By the end of recovery week 2, I was feeling very good, and was desperate to get out of the house for a while. Went for a walk with my mother and made a short trip to the local Starbucks. I had been having some minor discomfort in the abdomen, but just figured it was still from surgery.

That night, I really started feeling bad. Had a low grade temp, stayed in bed all night. I was REALLY cursing myself for getting out of the house and obviously doing way to much at the point in my recovery.

Next morning, I had the worst pain in my abdomen and back. Now remember, I had a TVH. It felt like I had done 10,000 crunches and like someone had hit me across my back with a baseball bat. Still a low grade temp. Now, not only was I cursing myself but DH was really giving me "what for" for overdoing the things the day before......I mean that HAD to what was causing this right?

Later that day, I spiked a 103 temp, excruciating pain and I began vomiting....OK, I 'll call the doc in the morning. Next morning, it was even worse. I called my OB/GYN and she said she thought it was just a UTI or bladder infection, but to go to a prompt care just to be certain.

Long story short, well shorter that it COULD be, my pain had nothing to do with my walk and trip to get a Non-fat, sugar free cinnamon dolce latte........I had a post op infection. A pocket of infection located exactly where my uterus once lived. Prompt care sent me to my local ER, I was admitted, I had to have Interventional Radiology install a drain to drain out the infection because it was not the kind that would just dissipate in its own, and I just got home from a 5 day stay at the castle. Needless to say, it was not good.

Ladies, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE listen to your bodies. If you dont feel well do NOT hesitate to call your doctor. Had I not waited so long, I would probably not be sitting here with this annoying drain still intact that I cannot get rid of for another 4 days. Please.........TAKE CARE OF YOU!!!

Unread 11-16-2007, 12:57 AM

Wow T-
I just posted about my post-op pnemonia experience, I haven't been readmitted to castle yet (they let me go home and report daily) so I do understand your frustration. Just when you feel that you've done everything right, BAM, you're worse off than before. Hopefully your family (especially DH have been supportive). I posted at length regarding some of the issues we are dealing with because of this complication. My DH acts like he only signed up for the hysterectomy part, not the complication, so deal with it. I hope your recovery is smooth from here out, you've been through enough. I've just tried to look on the bright side--I may be miserable, but at least there is no endo pain for the first time in years!!!

Take care of yourself,
Sonja
Unread 11-16-2007, 08:41 AM

Oh my - You poor thing!! Please take care of your self!! I'm glad you found out you did nothing because that's what it sounded like to me! That's a very mild trip out!! Of course being a Starbgirl.....Ok so of course you probably all figured that out already - I was happy with your first choice of where to go!!! LOL!!!!

So I'm wishing you a new speedy recovery and many painless trips to Starbucks in the future!!

Hugs,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 10:40 AM

Many many hugs coming your way!I am so sorry that you are having issues with your recovery.I too have not had a smoth recovery and am hoping that the antibiotic that my doc put me on will kill the kidney infection that i have.So far no noticable improvment but it has only been three days since i have been on it.I am wishing you a very fast and uneventfull recovery from here on out.
Unread 11-16-2007, 02:39 PM

Thanks for posting. I've really learned something from you all. I thought once you got past the first week post-op, the risk of complications was gone. Not so, I see. I guess I need to remain watchful.

I'm so sorry that you got an infection and had to return to the castle. Please take care of yourself. Thanks for sharing with us because I'm sure that more than one sister will benefit from your advice and you just may save someone.
Unread 11-16-2007, 03:15 PM

I wish you the best of luck and a speedy recovery and no other incidents. I have been on the phone numerous times to my gyno clinic asking the nurses/doctors various "questions of the day" - I was back on the phone calling today as well. They are always incredibly nice and always agree when I say "well, I just wanted to make sure nothing was up before it ended up being something I would regret not contacting you earlier about" - and they always agree.

So, ladies...please don't hesitate to call up your doctors - they ARE there for you at all hours - it's always best to err on the side of caution. Face it, we all have no idea how a hysterectomy feels and if what we are feeling is normal - and they are only a phone call away.

And also wishing a speedy and uneventful recovery to all the other ladies out there!
Unread 11-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks

....for all of the very sweet notes!! I'm getting lots of rest and my family has been a God-send.

Best wishes to you all~

~T
Unread 11-16-2007, 06:29 PM

I too had developed a post op infection.... the day i came home from the hospital I didnt quite feel right.. I blamed myself for walking too much in the Hospital that day... my DD and I took a long walk before I went home and when I got back to my room waiting for the dr to discharge me I started to feel crummy... I didnt dare say anything to the doctor about it because I though Id get in trouble... HUMMM I should have opened my mouth then because when I went home I had a 102 fever... my DH called the dr and she told me to take 2 tylenol... the next day I was still running a low grade fever and i went into see her and she said that I had a bladder infection. she put me on antibiotics and off I went... 2 days later I was still running a fever (mind you I had 48 hrs of antibiotics in me) and she wanted me to come in... well she took one look at me and said Im going to readmit you for IV antibiotics ( I looked liked hell and was shivering real bad) she looked at my incision and she realized that I had a wound infection! so off I went back to the castle for 4 days of hell , I finally healed and went on with my life UNTIL I felt a lump about the size of an orange to the left of my incision 5 months later.... I developed an incisional hernia from the wound infection. I just had surgey last week to repair the hernia and now on my way to a full recovery... so ladies LISTEN to your body... Mine was screaming at me and I didnt pay attention... funny thing though.. while in the hospital for my hyst my daughter pointed out to the doctor that there was a red circle area under my incision and the very end of my incision wasnt closed and the dr said that it was nothing.... I pointed it out to her again 2 days later and she still didnt seemed concerned..... HUMMM..... all of this mess could have be avoided If my doctor acted on it sooner...
Unread 11-16-2007, 08:00 PM

I just posted about this too! I just had my drain removed yesterday... and my experience was so similar to yours it's almost uncanny -- right down to the DH who thought I over did it! Did you have to have a PICC line put in for IV antibiotics? I was very fortunate to get to leave the hospital without mine, but it was awful while it was in place.

I so hope your at-home recovery goes well. I did 5 days in ICU as well... I HIGHLY recommend walking - very slowly at first and then increasing daily -- it really helped me get the drainage flowing. I was released from the castle on Monday and today was able to walk three miles - didn't think I'd be seeing that anytime soon. Of course I wasn't breaking any land-speed records or anything....

I will pray for you, if you'll return the favor! I couldn't agree with you more on listening to your body... All my best to you,
Dina
Unread 11-17-2007, 08:05 PM

Is there always a fever with a post-op infection? I'm probably just getting worked up over nothing, but I guess I'm trying to decide when to be concerned. Last night, I had probably the worst amount of pain that I've had since right after surgery. One pain killer did absolutely nothing, and I sat in my bed until 3 a.m. just totally unable to get to sleep because it hurt so much. At 3 a.m. I decided that I would take another pain pill even though the 4 hours wasn't up, and that is the first time I have had to take more than one pain pill at a time and the first time I have had to take one in the middle of the night. Today, the pain continues. I also find myself really nauseous. For most of the day, I felt cold and unable to get warm. Now, I feel too warm. I've been taking my temperature, but so far it has only been in the 99 range, which isn't very significant. So I guess I'm wondering, did the pain come first and then the fever or did the fever come first and then the pain? As long as I don't develop a fever higher than 101, is it safe to assume this might just be a minor setback? Thanks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register