Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION

Unread 11-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Three words for ya.....POST OP INFECTION

One thing to be careful of Mich is that most pain relievers are also fever reducers. So for example, when I noticed the fever for my UTI it was almost time for another pain pill and it was 102.6. Then I took 2 percocet because I was in so much pain. When I got to the ER it was down to 99.7. They asked me if I took anything and when I told them I took the 2 percoset they told me it is a tylenol product. They were way more concerned about my fever knowing I still had it after reducing meds. Does that make sense?? So if you are staying on meds (which you should if you are in pain!) it may mask your fever. In my opinion you should call the Dr and let him know that in additon to a low grade fever, you are having horrible pain. Just remember there is no such thing as a stupid question. At the very least if it is nothing your Dr or whomever is on call should be able to calm you fears. And sometimes after a big surgery like this a girl just needs that!!

Big Hugs,

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2007, 09:04 PM

Continued gentle s coming your way. , take your meds, drink your water, go on short walks...repeat as necessary. You know the drill.

Your words speak volumes. (((Sisters))), do listen to your body and follow doc's instructions. Even if you haven't reached the "magic number" in temperature (I think mine was 100.4 or something like that), if you find yourself feeling *worse* instead of better, or feel new pain -- don't delay. Call the doc or go to the ER if it's after hourse. As this (((sister))) has shared, the consequences just aren't worth it.
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:24 PM

I got out for the first time today. (post-op 2 weeks) It was so wonderful.
I am on antibiotics for a incision infection. I have to go to the doctor on monday.
The strips that are on my incision are yellow and I am kinda of hurting. I do not have a temp. I think what has happened is that Last sunday I became impacted and had hemorrhoids really bad, so my doctor told me to take small warm baths including other things for healing. Well I thought that I did not any water on the incisions but I think I did. So I guess I will find out how bad the incision is infected on monday.

How long post op did you guys start driving?

Tina 41
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 12:18 AM

I too have a post op infection. It started immediately following surgery. I think it was because I had such a horrible reaction to some medicine I was given for pain, which triggered my wild heart beat. I ended up for 2 days in the Coronary Care Unit because the dr's thought I was going to have a stroke or heart attack.

I was moved around so much that my incision was stretched in every way possible for CAT scans and MRI's. Then I had one dr tell me that because I was obese, he feared flibitious (sp?) in my legs, and insisted that I start walking for hours at a time. Well, walking and being active really irritated my incision.

My incision is weeping, and smells. Now mind you I still have in a drain. I am still draining out some fluid but nothing like I was the first few days following surgery.

My gyn told me that next week I should be able to have my drain removed as long as the vol. is lower than what it has been in the past. She also mentioned using a wet pack to help heal the incision site, but that will be determined after she see's me on Monday. I never have heard of a wet pack before. Has anyone else? Is it painful? I am just so very tired of pain. It is so draining.

Blessings all around,
Roseptl
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:11 AM

In my case, I felt crummy when I left the hospital and checked my temp a few hours later and had a fever... my infection happened right after my surgery so I dont really know what came first... call your doctor and let him know how you are feeling.... good luck!
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:46 AM

HI Roseptl,
I went thru the same exact thing as you did right down to being transfered to the Coronary care unit for observation due to my wild heart beat caused by the IV contrast they used for the CT scan. I had a CT scan to rule out an abscess... I didnt have a drain though because my incision was completly reopened so the infection could drain... It SMELLED horrible!!! I went to the doctor 5 days a week so she could clean and pack the wound infection, it took 6 weeks for the wound to finally heal... ask your doctor about a wound vac. Had I used the wound vac ( you have to go to a wound care center) I would not have wound up with an incisional hernia... I just had that repaired last week! I found this all out after the fact! Please ask your doctor about the wound vac, you dont want to end up with a hernia.
PS.. my doctor told me that the infection was caused most likley from my weight.. im a bit fluffy, NOT! my sister works in the OR and she said that on larger patients the doctors have to put in extra stitches and its NOT because of my weight...(it probably takes longer and they cant be bothered doing it) Hummm I just had hernia surgery and the incision is as large ad my c-section incision and its completly healed with no complications....
Unread 12-01-2007, 05:18 PM

All this talk of post op infection prompted me wanting to share my expirence. I was released from the castle on a sunday feeling okay for being 4 days out, no big deal. tuesday morning my bestfriend took me to er for I had an infection in my mouth! I know it sounds odd and believe me it was It was like I had thrush( what infants sometimes get) I could not swallow meaning no pain pills since sunday night before bed, couldnt drink couldnt eat it was horrible. She took me to er and they said it was from the tube down my throat, gave me antibiotic and sent me home aweek later it was gone but it like "burnt" my tongue and felt extremly weird!
I just wanted to say after a operation I guess you can get infectioin ANYWHERE not just the surgical site. I have to say though THE MOUTH? I would have never guessed it nor ever even heard of such but leave it to me to get it!......

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register