Not a very good nurse (update) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Not a very good nurse (update) Not a very good nurse (update)

Unread 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Not a very good nurse (update)

I had nurse problems on the day shift today. I saw my nurse twice this morning. Once when the shift changed and then once after I called her for pain meds, but she didn't show up for 30 minutes and then the pain meds burned my hand so badly that she flushed with saline and she said, ok I am going to push really hard on the plunger and she did and my vein popped and burned like crazy and the swelling started, so an hour later after I had called twice to remind her she finally got someone else to come here and take the iv out and put in another one. I called her two more times after that about pain meds and about my potty hat being so full and yucky that I couldn't use it and she never showed up. So I called the charge nurse and told her what was going on and my doctor showed up so I told him and he said he would get things straightened out. Then she came down here confronting me and defensive and talking about how she is a travel nurse from Africa and how nobody has ever complained about her. She said she was busy with other patients and I told her that I had needed her too and she hadn't come back here in hours no matter that I called her directly. So anyway we resolved our problem I hope with her apologizing and saying she would do better. She hasn't even kept up with whether I have had a bowel movement and I had to talk to someone else about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 02:26 PM

I'm sorry she ignored you and treated you so badly. I had 3 excellent nurses during the 2 days I was in the hospital which I am grateful for, but I also had one set of night shift nurses that completely ignored me their entire shift. My IV alarms would be going off because the bags were empty and they would ignore them. One time it was running on empty 40 minutes before the nurse finally took notice and panicked. They never emptied my potty hat as you said all night. The morning nurse thought I had a seriously huge bladder until I told her I didn't think the darn thing had been emptied in 12 hours. They gave me no pain meds the entire time, even though I repeatedly requested some. Finally, at the 7 a.m. shift change, they brought my pain meds, but I think that was only because the morning nurse probably asked them why I hadn't been given anything the entire time they were on duty.

I am trying to forgive them for ignoring me because I think they were overwhelmed by my roomate's needs. I blame the hospital because the woman they put in my room the second day had multiple critical medical problems including previous kidney and liver transplants, ureter replacements, and blindness in one eye (yes, I eavesdropped ). Yes, she was also recovering from a hysterectomy and oophorectomy at this time, but she needed a higher level of care than most and really needed her own room and her own nurse. I think her doctor should have made special arrangements for her because I don't think it was fair to the nurses or for them to put my care at risk to accomodate her special needs. It's not the poor woman's fault, and I harbor no ill will towards her. If anything, I feel sorry for her because I'm sure she probably didn't like sharing a room with me in her state (plus she got the crummy bed by the door with no privacy -- I at least had my privacy at the back half of the room and a window).
Unread 11-16-2007, 05:35 PM

Hugs and more bigger hugs to you.I also had very bad nurses when I had my TLH I started a thread about it and found out that I was unforunatly not the only one who had this problem.My heart goes out to you and I will be praying for you.I know that the hospital that I had my surgery done sends out surveys for patients to fill out and I fill mine out with six addtional sheets of paper.Do you know if your hospital dose anything like that?I wish you a speedy recovery,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-16-2007, 09:22 PM

Sorry you had a bad experience. I've had times when the administration of pain meds (Toradol, specifically) burned in the IV... sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
Unread 11-16-2007, 10:08 PM

I feel so bad for you. I actually worried about having a hard time with the nurses. I was so scared, because with my other stays at the hospital I had some bad experiences. I did have one nurse this time who was really rough with me, and everytime I asked her for anything she acted like I was imposing on her. She would throw my blankets around and threw my heating pad across the room because it got in her way.
When I was taking my walks I would find her on personal calls just chatting away to her girlfriends, I guess thats why she was so irritated about having to help me when I buzzed........Sorry you had to go through such a bad experience, I am so shocked she confronted you about it. Who wants a confrontation in the hospital??
Unread 11-18-2007, 02:12 PM
Melt down at 9 pm in hospital

I haven't posted since Friday while I was in the hospital. I had a total melt down about 9 pm that night. I had an awful day nurse that day that I had to complain about to my Charge Nurse, Doctor and the Ambassador of the hospital. She did was not timely on pain meds, she left me with a soiled hat that I couldn't even sit on and so my mom finally moved it and she poped my iv vein by pushing saline in way too fast then she left me that way for an hour and when I called she acted like who are you? Oh someone hasn't fixed that yet? Then she got mad and confronted me when I complained about her. So, a new iv was put in the crook of my left arm (same arm where my hand was swollen to twice its normal size due to the iv before), I was no longer on IV meds just that iv left there. It was used once for Tordol by that awful nurse who after she confronted me and we pretty much got into a fight and she ended up apologizing, she came in more prompt and friendly than ever.

About 7 I was so exhausted from being awake since 6, no sleep due to the drama all day of that awful nurse, I tried to sleep, but that iv was killing me and I developed tension in my jaws and a migraine. I finally called a nurse about 8:30 hoping that the awful nurse was gone and a new nurse did show up. I kept telling myself not to cry but when she came in I just totally lost it. I started bawling and begging her to take the iv out. She said that doctor's orders had said when I came off the fluids that iv was to removed and that was at 10:30 that morning when that awful nurse had blown out my vein. So there was another thing that awful nurse had done wrong. I had a migrain but was only given more pain meds and sleeping pills so I slept that night, at least after my nose unstopped from the crying jag.

I woke up Saturday morning and developed another terrible migrain and vomiting. I was given Imitrex and a nausea med so after it finally started working my mom and I got the hell out of there. I made it fine all the way home (200 miles) but woke up this morning with another killer migraine. Took an Imitrex and am better now.

All of my numbing meds from the hospital are wearing off and I am starting to hurt more. But the migraines are killing me.

So I am going to research migraines and Vivelle Dot which is what I went on immediately Friday morning. I was taking Loratab before my hospital stay and doctor thinks getting so sick may be withdrawal from that, but I only took one or two a day. And of course I had no caffeine in the hospital and out I drink a lot of DP. So, hope to find what is causing them before my next one.

I am home.
Unread 11-18-2007, 02:40 PM

Well, I said in my earlier post we resolved our issues but we really didn't. Even though she did show up so quickly the next time I called her, she said she said she would check on me in 15 minutes and I never saw her again and her shift lasted another 4 hours. The ambassador of the hospital must have been told I was having a hard time and so he came and specifically asked me about how the nurses were treating me so I told him exactly what was going on. He said he was very glad I had told him and all the other staff were very nice a apologizing for this one nurses' poor performance. I literally got really sick and had a total meltdown that night from all the stress and from the very painful iv that had been left in my arm. The nurse that took it out said it should have been removed when I was taken off of iv fluids, so another think that awful nurse messed up on.
Unread 11-18-2007, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2491
Sorry you had a bad experience. I've had times when the administration of pain meds (Toradol, specifically) burned in the IV... sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

Hope you're feeling better soon.
When my first nurse, Laura gave me toradol it felt like my arm was gonna catch fire so yes it does burn. Second nurse Anne gave it to me mixed with a lot of saline and all went very well each time she gave it. When Linda gave it and I told her it was burning she got a large syringe filled with saline and she said she would flush it, so she started pushing the saline in and she said she would do it slowly and then she said ok I am going to push it in really fast the second she did that my vein popped and I screamed from pain and then she pushed rest of the saline in and my whole hand started swelling up, so she turned off the iv and said she would be right back to change the iv from my hand into another location because there was obviously a problem. I waited 30 minutes and called her on her direct line and she acted like she totally forgot about me, so I said remember the lady who's hand is in terrible pain after you forced saline in too fast and she said oh, nobody has come to change that and I said no you said you would be back and so 30 more minutes later a man entered and apologized that he had just been told and said the iv had infiltrated and he moved it. This was just a bad nurse. And that was only one of the things she did or didn't do to me that day.
Unread 11-18-2007, 07:18 PM

Im soo sorry you went so much! But Im glad your home where you can rest and start to recover!
I hope your headaches goway soon!
I'll be thinking and praying for you! please take care and let us know how your doing!
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:09 PM

Trevina, You have been through a lot. Oh my goodness. Did you have to drive to Houston or Dallas or some other major city in TX. 200 miles is a long way to drive to a hosp. I'm in Katy TX not far from Houston. That sounded like a terrible experiences. I hope since you are home you can start recovering and feel better. I never sleep good in hosp. When you do fall a sleep someone else wakes you. I hope your migranes go away. I got a migrane at day 3 after surgery. I think the hormones caused mine. I still get them occ. but not as often. I hope and pray you feel better soon. You are in my thoughts and prayers.
Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register