Please help - SOOOO constipated | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help - SOOOO constipated Please help - SOOOO constipated

Unread 11-17-2007, 09:27 AM
Please help - SOOOO constipated

Hi everyone! Had my vaginal hysterectomy with lap assist 9 days ago. Things are going pretty well except for this painful constipation! I've been on stool softeners since surgery and am drinking prune juice by the gallon.

Anyone have any tips that helped them? It's to the point that it even is painful to sit. HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2007, 09:44 AM

Hi Sunny,

I suffered greatly too!! I had my surgery 2 days before you. There was a post last Tuesday called Painful BM or something close to that. In it a woman mentioned that she had used Miralax since her surgery and had no problems. I had someone bring me some that day and it solved my constipation completely!!! Yea!! I am going very comfortably now.

It is a combo stool softener / laxative. I guess it used to be prescription but is recently been made available over the counter. I just mix it in 4oz of that Plum Smart juice - also designed to aid digestion and it has worked like MAGIC - from the first day!! And it gets better every day since now all the hard stool is gone.

Good Luck!! I know this part is awful and I feel for you!!

Starbgirl
Unread 11-17-2007, 09:47 AM

MIRALAX ROCKS!!!!

It was recommended to me right here on HysterSisters and I am forever grateful. Best stuff ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2007, 09:54 AM

I have a couple three suggestions:
Drink PLENTY of water -- I mean in the 80 ounces a day range;
WALK - as much as you can tolerate -- gravity helps in ways you cannot imagine; and if all else fails,
Milk of Magnesia... I've heard it's the sure-fire answer.

If you don't get satisfaction in a day or so, I'd personally call and let the doc know. You don't want to let something like that go. Take care,
Dina
Unread 11-17-2007, 10:29 AM

Have you tried Kashi cereal? It helped Me.
Unread 11-17-2007, 11:43 AM

My doctor said to use a laxative directly in the rump. You should be going smoothly shortly after.
Unread 11-17-2007, 12:04 PM

go out and get some milk of magnesia...you will definitely go the bathroom by tomorrow and feel so much better. pain meds can also make you very constipated so if youre still taking them, you might want to switch to motrin or advil.
Unread 11-17-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm almost 3 months post op and having more problems with being "stopped up" and gassy than ever. I've added Benefiber and Gax-X to my daily routine. Anything to avoid that awful pain.
Unread 11-17-2007, 01:13 PM

I began even before surgery a stool softener and since I have taking 2 in the am and pm and eating prunes (they work better than prune juice). I am not contipated anymore but I still get pretty sever gas pains that gas-x helps

Good Luck
Unread 11-17-2007, 01:55 PM

Prunes worked best for me, too. Also, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, a high-fiber cereal. Ate it dry since milk products can constipate. Drank LOTS of water.
The biggest change in my bowels came about when I got off the prescription pain pills, however. Alot of my pain turned out to have been caused by my bulging bowels!!

Hope this helps!

TAH 10-09-07

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register