Disappointed with nursing care | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Disappointed with nursing care Disappointed with nursing care

Unread 11-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Disappointed with nursing care

I came in for the full hyster, everything taking out with about 10 extra pounds of fibroids. I had a bladder sling put in as well. I woke up to find out I also had a huge hernia fixed as well and now need to bould up scar tissue to support all my new things inside. I had great nurse's up until the early morning shift. She came and and I would ask nicly for pain meds, atleast when can I have more and she said she would go find out. I wouldn't see her for hours.. I would use my call button to the nurse station only to hear the other nurse tell me they will find her. I would be in tears by the time she came and she would walk in with a smile on her face and say "Oh hear I come little baby" I am 45 year old with two teenage kids and the last think I need is sarcasm while being away from the family, thrying to cath a break and rest . When she pulled the gauze from out of my vagina, she saw I was in fear of pain and I asked her to give me something before she did it and she said NO. It took her forever to pull it out and ever bit was more painful then the next, she took for ever and was laughing while i was crying. She would come in and act like she was comeing to see me , but then sit on my bed and watch tv for up to 20 minutes with out answering anything questions I was asking her. The IV was so incredible painful when only she injected them, every other nurse didn't hurt. It toook 2 months before I was able to use my hand. I would ask her to come take alook at my bladder bag it was always hurting from it being so full, I felt horrible, then again I waited on her constantly to follow through for help. I finally got it out and was able to pee on my own. I knew the first could of times I should ask for help to get out of bed and go to the bathroom with a nurse, well, when she finaly would show up, she wouldn't lend a hand, she would watch tv instead. I asked for help cause I might fall, I felt dizzy form my meds and in apin, she never blinked. I felt s weird when she did come in when I didn't want her , she wanted to talk and ask very private questions about me and my family. I think something was wrong with her. I kept telling my kids and husband about her, but they never got to meet her until the last day when it was time to leave. I called her into the room with my faiky there and was kind and introduced my family to her and she said Hi. I then asked if I should wait for a wheel chair of something to take me to my car and she said, yoru maing this out to be bigger then what it is. Just leave on your own feet, I don;t need to hold your hand, do I? I fianlly saw the look in my husbands face and kids and they knew she was the one. So I walked or slowly walked out with my family holding me every step in my truck. She just walked away and stood by the front door of hospital and stood at us until we were gone. She still haunts me with some of the things she did to me. I had other great nurses on other shifts, so I know there are good ones out there, I just happen to ge the one from HELL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 02:54 AM

Wow, what an evil cow!

Complain to the hospital - they must have a means for doing that. You'll probably find you're not the first to complain, but if they don't know, they can't do anything about it.

It seems that nursing mostly attracts compassionate souls, but occasionally, the odd sadistic one too.

Hope the rest of your recovery is kinder!
Unread 11-18-2007, 05:01 AM

Holly -

I am so sorry you had a bad nurse like that. I know the quality of nursing care can make all the difference in your memories of your stay.

I agree with Helga, complain. I would also add that this still haunts you in your complaint. Maybe you need to talk to someone about this and maybe the hospital can provide you that counseling.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that it has stuck with you makes it all the worse. I had a absent minded nurse that I had complaints about but I now just shake my head.

And I want to thank you for posting this. I am hopeful that if pre-op women are reading this and run into the same type of issues, they know they can complain to the administration of the hospital while they are still there and have the right to demand a different nurse. I know this doesn't help you but I am sure you also wouldn't want any one esle to experience this like you did.

Best wishes in your continued recovery.

Julie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 09:07 AM

And make sure your doctor/surgeon knows too! And your hubby is a witness as he heard what she said when you were leaving!

Reporting her might keep another Sister from getting treated the same way.

Unread 11-18-2007, 09:31 AM

Hi Hollyhair,
I'm sorry to hear of the abuse you received from that nurse, this is apalling. I definitely agree that you should make a complaint to the hospital and your doctor as well.

The wonderful care I received, I am sure, was beneficial to my recovery process, So i symphatize with what you went through.
I have immense respect for nurses , not a job I could do myself, so I really don't like hearing about this type of individual conduct.

Hope all is well in your recovery!
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:32 AM

I had a nurse that I did not feel was all that great - not in the hospital, but in the doctor's office at my pre-op appointment. my husband and I were in a consult room and she came in, sat down with her back to us to read the computer screen. She never did turn around and kept asking the same questions over and over - it was like she was not there. She was supposed to call me when I got home to tell me when to come in for some pre-op testing, and first forgot to call until late evening, and then when she did call with no information, I said I really needed some advance notice, as it is a 2 hr + drive and I would have to make arrangements for the dog as it was going to be a two-day procedure. She made some comment like 'never mind the **** dog - we are talking life and death here.

The more I thought about it the madder I got, and finally wrote a letter about her. I never heard anything back, but when I have gone there, or phoned I have not spoken with her or seen her, so I think she may be gone. Definitely write a letter and let somebody know what when on with you.
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:34 AM

I really like that you can remember very specific things about what she did. I want you to sit down soon and list each thing in specific detail.
Then I want you to copy it.
Next I want you to schedule an appt with the clinical supervisor of the unit and if possible the director of the unit. I want you to sit down w/them, give them their own copy of your list, and discuss this.
It will take a load of pain off your shoulders and it will get the nurse some negative attention from her bosses.
Don't wait too long to do this. Your memory will change things w/time. If this nurse is like this all the time (which I'm sure she is) the bosses will be able to recognize the acts before even knowing the name.
Please let us know how this goes, ok? So sorry you had an experience like that. I had some bad apples as well and this was at my hospital that I work at!
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:45 AM

THAT was a tough hospital stay! I'm sorry you had to endure that kind of 'care', if you could call it care. I'm in agreement with the other sisters here; report her, in detail to both the hospital and the surgeon. Make sure you don't just get the complaint department when you ask the hospital how to register your issue. Get the name of the nursing supervisor for the floor you were on or the overall nursing supervisor. Try to talk to her either face to face or on the phone. Write your complaints down and follow a script if you must, but just don't let it slide. She sounds a bit like a stalker and if she was asking personal questions about your family.....

Another thing that crossed my mind about her telling you to walk out of the hospital on your own two feet.....I may be mistaken, but I believe it's a safety and liability issue if a hospital doesn't take you out in a wheel chair or otherwise assisted. I've never been allowed to walk out on my own, even when I've requested it. They can get in BIG trouble if you have a fall or hurt yourself until you are completely out of their care.

I hope for you a peace about this soon. Best wishes!
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:49 AM

you probably should have asked to see the nursing supervisor while you were in the hospital and tell her what was going on. i cant imagine letting a nurse sit on my bed and watch television for 20 minutes. i think when problems like this happen, taking care of the problem while its going on is taken much more seriously than letters afterwards. sorry that happened to you...i hope you feel better soon.
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:49 AM

I agree w/ladybug on the wheel chair issue. It is unbelievable that she had you walk to your car in your condition. Please, please please mention this to the supervisor, ok? I've never had a pt walk out even when she wanted to. You poor little thing. I am so sorry for your awful care. That nurse would be sooooo fired if I were the boss. I'll share your story w/my dh who IS a nursing supervisor for the cardiac floor. He will be floored. Hugs, sister!
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register