Disappointed with nursing care - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Disappointed with nursing care Disappointed with nursing care

Unread 11-18-2007, 08:56 PM
Disappointed with nursing care

I hope that no one got the wrong idea from my post. I wasn't trying to say that I thought it was a good idea to walk out on your own two feet. Nor, do I think that the original poster should have been subjected to the cruelty of being told she HAD to walk out on her own or have a nurse laugh at her as she did so. I think that is horrible! That sort of cruelty needs to be reported! That nurse sounds particularly evil and mean.

In my case, the hospital had adopted a policy whereby the patient was given a choice. When my husband and I seemed surprise, the way my nurse explained it to us was that basically they had had so many patients heap verbal abuse on them (the nurses) about the amount of time it took for a transporter to arrive, that the hospital just decided to give patients the option if they didn't want to wait an hour or more. I was so desperate to leave that hospital, I probably would have tied sheets together and climbed out the window if they told me it was that or wait for the transporter! In retrospect, it wasn't a smart choice to leave on my own two feet. My husband certainly wasn't for it. To her credit, I don't think my nurse thought it was a good idea either.

Quote:
I keep reading about so many who walked out on their own two feet. First of all, way to go!
Huggiebear, I'm not so sure it was a way to go! moment in my case so much as it was a way to GO (as in leave)!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 09:53 PM

OMG!!! I was so thrilled to see so many people that responded to my letter about the nurse from Hell!
First of all PLEASE note that when I wrote this letter it was in the wee hours of the morning after a hard day and night and on a pain med from severe back pain I still seem to have. I went back to re-read my letter I sent and I could not believe all the mistakes I made with my spelling, WOW I should have hit a spell check or something. I was so embarrassed, but the story is all true and I didn't write as much that really took place. I had so much more to tell but your right, it does haunt me how sick this nurse was. The response letters have helped me to see that. The first few weeks, I should have done something but was so medicated and lethargic all the time that I thought maybe I was just being too sensitive. Then I got to the point where I felt like it was too late to say anything and just dropped it. I got on to the web site to see if anyone was experiencing lower back pain and vaginal discharge after two months and if it was normal. I then saw letters from other's about the nurse's that were mean, so I joined to write my letter to maybe help another before they go in to the hospital so they can be a bit more braver then me. I am usually a very strong woman and a fighter when it comes to righteousness and I always speak my peace. I still can't believe I allowed this nurse to treat me like this; I was in such fear of her doing something even worse so I kept quiet like a jerk. New story but now that I have been pushed into menopause, my feelings are mad one minute and sad the next. I was put on a patch for the first month only to find out at my first post-op it was never working. Every time I had a hot flash (about five times a day) it would slide off and I would re-stick it with band aids and other things. In my post-op appointment my doctor saw the band aids and told me those generic patches stopped working the minute they come off, you can't re-stick them and get medication from them. It was kind of a relief to find out I wasn't being medicated the first month because I thought I was heading towards a bad depression. I now am on pill form medications and the hot flashes are gone, but still dealing with other things not sure of. OK, I'm writing a book once again, I wanted to thank all who wrote to me, and want you all to know I am going to report her and let you know the actions that take place. God bless you all and I can only pray this never happens to another. Happy Holly
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Holy cow!!

I understand they have a job to do,you do need to get up and walk,use the bathroom,etc.But to talk down to you and treat that way!VERY VERY WRONG!!!

I would start with the nurse supervisor of that floor,and I would just keep going up the chain until you reach the hospital director!Your Dr also needs to be informed of this.

I am so sorry you had to deal with this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2007, 08:45 AM

Just a friendly reminder about our website TOS (guidelines). We ask for a tone of kindness. Comments suggesting physical violence are certainly not appropriate. I've edited a few posts for this reason.

Likewise we should remind the readers that most nurses are in their profession because they have hearts of gold and love to take care of others. Where a few members seem to have experienced a negative situation with a nurse while in the hospital, it is certainly not the norm.

For myself, whether a nurse or a customer service representative for the phone company or a waitress serving my food, I've found that speaking kindly to others often adjusts icky situations. Like momma used to say: Its the southern way.
Unread 11-20-2007, 08:11 PM

I personally spoke kindly to my nurse each and everytime I called for assistance and she still never showed up until someone with more authority got involved. Then she was such a nice person that she immediately came down to my room and instead of apologizing she jumped all over me for telling the truth about her lack of care. And when she took my blood pressure and heart rate she said oh my your heart rate is really up and I said I guess so you just came in here in a confrontational way and attacked me. Not once did I say anything mean, or out of order, I just told the truth and stuck to my guns when this awful nurse confronted a patient who should have been relaxing and trying to heal. Every other nurse I encountered was very nice and I got along very well with them, they even came out of their way to tell me bye and apologize for this other awful nurse. So I guess sometimes the southern way just doesn't work. Fortunately, there are more great nurses than bad nurses.
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:11 AM

This thread makes me feel just awful and guilty for having an absolutely wonderful nursing staff. I just dont know what to say except that Kathy the key keeper is right. Evil nurses are not the norm and Im sorry for your experiences. My stay was a wonderful life experince that showed me just how kind people can be because I am an awful picky and very paranoid person and I did this all alone. I hope you all have a much more pleasant experience in your recoveries
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:15 AM

To dog_lover64, I like your spirit! You had me falling off my chair laughing so hard! Nothing against southern people, (been in TX for 21 years and love it, but will always be a Jersey Girl) but the southern hospitality is a little over rated at times. Holly
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register