Migraine immediately following TAH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Migraine immediately following TAH? Migraine immediately following TAH?

Unread 11-18-2007, 02:23 PM
Migraine immediately following TAH?

I had my first migraine Friday night after surgery Thursday morning. I started Friday morning on Vivelle Dot. I hadn't had any caffeine since Wednesday and I drink a lot of DP. I have been on Loratab for awhile due to cysts and did not have it in the hospital, although I only take one to two a day so not sure I could have been withdrawing. Anyone have experience with migraines right after surgery, daily?

I do have a history of migraines, but not this bad and not daily. In fact I haven't had one in awhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 02:54 PM

I had a TAH on Oct 15,2007 (Mon). I had a bad migraine that woke me up on Tuesday morning at 4:00am. The nurse was going to have to call the doctor for medicine but I had Migraine medicine at home (Maxalt). So she allowed me to call my husband and he brought up to the hospital and within 20 minutes after taking it I had relief.
Unread 11-18-2007, 03:03 PM

I had a TAH on November 13. Had a killer headache that started on Tuesday evening that lasted well into Wednesday afternoon. Nurse blamed it on lack of sleep, lack of caffeine and the anesthetic. Some heavy duty Tylenol, a cup of real coffee and a couple hours of uninterrupted sleep helped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2007, 10:17 PM

Had another awful migraine Sunday which Imitrex helped. Had a minor one this morning. Caffeine and loratab are apparently not the culprit so I am thinking my hrt might be the problem. I am suppose to change the dot tonight but I am going to hold off and see if I have a migraine tomorrow.
Unread 11-20-2007, 08:01 PM

Very minor headache this morning, but I did take the Vivelle Dot off last night and I replaced it today so we'll see if I have another migraine tomorrow.
Unread 11-20-2007, 08:12 PM

I had migraines after surgery only to find out that it was the pain killers causing them. As soon as I went off of the pain pills, the migraines went away.
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:31 PM

I've always had migraines during my period and had them immediately following my surgery too. My understanding is the drop in hormones causes them if you are someone who is susceptible to migraines.

I went to my GP and she prescribed naproxen (prescription dose of Alleve) which I take twice a day. She told me my headaches should diminish over time but this may take a few weeks to months even. So far, this solution is working pretty well for me - felt headachy today, but it's quite bearable. I can also take Imitrex but am holding off because I don't want to take it every day.

I'm not taking HRT - trying to avoid it if I can, but I've read that the patch is better than oral HRT if you do have migraines so the Vivelle dot is a good way to go since it is less likely to cause headaches.

I hope your headaches get better!
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:55 AM

I've had more headaches since surgery then ever before. I've had one for the last 4 days. I've started progestrone and maybe too high of a dose. I do think hormones play a big rule. I would get headaches a day before my period and and just for a day or two after it started. I trying to drink more water and take better care of myself now. I do think if you make any changes it can cause them. There was about a 2 week time frame that I didn't get any. I didn't make any major changes at the time. That was a nice break. I notice when I cut my dose of estrogen I get headaches then too. I do think over time and when we are more stable they will be much less. I wish you well. Kathy
Unread 11-21-2007, 11:09 AM

The pain meds can cause rebound headaches that are as painful or more so than the migraines a lot of people suffer. It can take a few weeks to get past rebound headaches.

I have not had a BSO, yet. I think that is coming now that they found the LG ESS. But, the surgery had no effect on my migraines. They are still here more often than not.

It was an eye opener for my sister, though. Four days after my surgery the migraine got really bad. That put me to bed. I had been up and walking every hour or two since about 18 hours post op but the migraine had me laying in bed moaning in pain and vomiting.

Migraine is such a complicated disease that any number of things or combination could be causing your head pain. I hope for your sake they are soon aleviated.

CS
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:49 PM

I've had menstrual migraines since puberty. I kept my ovaries but have NOT (knock wood) had a migraine since surgery 3 weeks ago. I had one the day after surgery but 1. I was still bleeding 2. it could have been all the meds I was taking. I've had headaches since, but as you know, there's a HUGE difference between a headache and a migraine!

When my mother went through natural menopause, her migraines went away. It very well could be the hormones are causing them and a lighter or no dose could help.

Best of luck - I know there were times when I just wanted to run a screwdriver through my skull to stop the pain. I am also a (hopefully now former) Imitrex gal - best stuff ever invented for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register