I Cant "go" N Afraid It Will All Fall Out | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Cant "go" N Afraid It Will All Fall Out I Cant "go" N Afraid It Will All Fall Out

Unread 11-18-2007, 07:32 PM
I Cant "go" N Afraid It Will All Fall Out

I have to go #2 so bad and my air [bloating] is terrible. I have been put on a stool softener but its just not working. Does anyone have any home remedies I can try besides alot of walking. Im definitely getting alot of walking in since both bathrooms are up stairs and the kids are gone so Im even doing LIGHT house work, so Im moving but its not helping.Dont worry, im not overdoing it with the house work. I learned my lesson the hard way yesterday. But my bowels are still not moving and to be honest Im afraid if I push then all my guts will fall out like some bad horror movie.Any sugestions will help so pile them on PLEASE!!!!!! Help me,PLEASE!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 07:51 PM

TamaraJo..so sorry you are uncomfortable...you are only a few days out from surgery and it is quite normal for the bowels to take a few days to get moving...maybe you need something a little stronger than stool softener at first....I found that Milk of Magnesia worked very well, it usually works within a few hours however it may take a day or two...It is my preference over others as there is no cramping for me with it......I also ate a big bowl of applesauce everyday the first few weeks to keep me regular....and most important lots of water!!...good luck, keep us updated
Unread 11-18-2007, 07:57 PM

I had TAH on 11/12 (Monday). First BM was on Wednesday still in hospital but I personally think it was because my dr didn't ask for any kind of bowel prep first. I've been taking stool softeners since Day Two, and added GasX on Day Five, but was only able to go today (Day Seven).

Maybe try to add some GasX-type meds, and then some extra fiber??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 07:59 PM

i didn't have a BM until 6 days post-op. drinking water definitely helps a lot. i have a friend who said warm prune juice worked like a charm for her. i have also heard miralax is good, although i waited it out and never used anything.
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:36 PM

I know its soon after surgery but its right there and its painful. Thanks for the advice and keep it comming. Milk of magnesia is next on my list. Its funny how much we worry B4 the surgery and then after all I canthink about is my 1st bowel and if everything will fall out if I "push it",lol. I am doing surprisingly well for all the panic and stress I put into the surgery.YEP,waiting is the hardest part and now waiting for #2 is the hadest part, pardon the pun,LOL .... Going to explode here... Is it okay to push alittle?
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:45 PM

TamaraJo...it could also be the swelling that is making you feel like it is right there...that happened to me my first surgery and I strained and strained and probably reinjured my repair......it is hard when you don't know if it is swelling pressure or pressure from having to go...they kind of feel the same...
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:50 PM

I think it is okay to push a little, let your pain be your guide and don't martyre yourself!

Sometimes a suppository works better than a stool softener. Have you tried that?

I'm so sorry you're going through this. I know how unpleasant it is. I had a multitude of things I tried those first few days. Stool softeners, suppositories, prune juice, dried apricots, just sitting on the toilet and praying LOL, walking, waiting. It's sure not fun.

Here I'm almost 3 weeks out now and my bowel movements are still not normal. I skipped one day on the stool softeners to see what would happen and I won't be doing that again soon.

You know what I miss? I miss how I used to be able to go the bathroom first thing in the morning, totally non-eventful, no discomfort, get it over with and get on with the day. Now, if I don't take the stool softeners I'm in pain until something happens. If I do take the stool softeners, I'm visiting the bathroom for a good couple of hours. It used to be such a non-event, I miss that !! LOL

Good luck, let us know what finally does the trick for you.
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:53 PM

OK, So dont push it then,right?Lust let things happen? I know Ican call me doc but I wont til his office opens. Just looking for some relief til then and of course some support. This is all normal, right?
Unread 11-18-2007, 08:54 PM

i had to take 3 stools softeners are a time in order to "go". Other wise? the pain was Soooooo bad! I couldn't deal with it! I couldn't stand. I couldn't sit. I'd sweat, I'd shake. I'd have goosebumps. I'd almost do lamaze breathing.

It was by FAR the worst thing associated with this whole surgery for me.
Unread 11-18-2007, 09:04 PM

Yes, I would just let it happen.

Have you drank prune juice?

I think Ribyra has a good point ... are you sure that's what the pressure is? I really couldn't tell the difference in the early days. I could just tell afterwards that I felt better. But the pain from the surgery is very similar to the feeling of being in pain from constipation.

Another thing, you may not be relaxing enough due to your apprehension of how much it's going to hurt. Try to relax more?

One thing's for certain ... it WILL happen.

And yes, this is totally normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register