10 wks post-op bladder pain, anyone? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

10 wks post-op bladder pain, anyone? 10 wks post-op bladder pain, anyone?

Unread 11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
10 wks post-op bladder pain, anyone?

I’m 9 weeks post-op LAVH and have since surgery been having bladder pain when me bladder fills up and is emptied. Not sure if scar tissue can occur this soon after surgery? Or if maybe something else is wrong with my bladder like possible bladder injury during surgery or maybe still healing from surgery? Anyone else experienced or experiencing post-op bladder pain? My doctor has tested me for IC (interstitial cystitis) and urine tests and bacterial cultures – all of which came back negative. I’m wondering if anyone else has had bladder pain (only when bladder fills up and is emptied) after their hysterectomy (LAVH in my case) and can tell me if it takes a long time (more than 2 months?) to heal from bladder pain? Any advice would be appreciated. ConcerndPatient
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 09:25 PM

You might be having bladder spasms. Ive read quite a few where they describe spasms as pain. I on the other hand haven't had pain, just urge to go when full and when empty with leaking. The urlogist said it was spazing along with a small fistula. I have been taking sanctura for spasms and vaginal estrogen to heal fistula seems to be working. Have only had very little leaking when sneezing not with coughing in last 2 wks. I also read that the vaginal estrogen helps pelvic floor to thicken and that helps with the leaking. Maybe you could ask if you could try an anti spasmatic to see if that helps.

HUGS
SARA
Unread 11-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I feel your pain as well

I had a full hysterectomy and a bladder sling done on September 18 2007 and came out of surgery to find out I had a hernia surgery as well. The bladder sling was because I was leaking all the time and couldn't cough or sneeze without filling my panties. I'm a hair stylist always on my feet and it was getting to be a big pain. The problem is I too am having the same feeling that you are and am concerned as well since I had bladder repair. With Thanksgiving coming and all I figured I will wait till afterwards to call and get in, it's such a chunk out of my day to drive all the way there along side of all the other things my day is filled with. I read up on some of these posts and asked allot of friends that had this surgery as well and feel a bit more comfortable with the bladder spasm maybe being the problem. I think we are pretty close with our surgery dates and just need to wait on our healing process, but then again I'm not a nurse and can be wrong. I would call and ask a nurse on call about that, I am gong to do just that in the morning if I can get one to call back. My biggest problem with my doctors office is nobody can answer a direct question on the phone, they always tell you to make an appointment if you’re concerned and have them check you. They get their co-pay, you wait hours to be seen then you sit on a cold table to be checked (which is horrible enough after surgery), just to find out it's part of healing and they make you feel ashamed for asking. IDK, maybe I have a bad Doc now that I read my letter. Good Luck and hopefully your bladder pain will go away after a few more weeks. I can keep you in my prayers and hope we both feel better soon. It just feels like a long way to feeling good again, Holly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Thank you

Hi. I am 3weeks post-op (TAH and left ovary removed) and went to the dr because of bladder pain. When I go to the bathroom as my bladder is emptying it hurts and also when I think Im done I get up and oops not done yet. I also wonder like you if there is a problem with my bladder. My doctor said that after a hysterectomy your bladder is figuring out where to situate and then you also have scar tissue forming, etc., and I figured it was probably still to early since it hasn't been a month yet. But what scares me is I have been not relaxing like I should lately and just hope I didnt do anything to my insides. I do have a bladder infection right now so we will see what happens. Let me know how you are doing now.

Thanks for reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcerndPatient
I’m 9 weeks post-op LAVH and have since surgery been having bladder pain when me bladder fills up and is emptied. Not sure if scar tissue can occur this soon after surgery? Or if maybe something else is wrong with my bladder like possible bladder injury during surgery or maybe still healing from surgery? Anyone else experienced or experiencing post-op bladder pain? My doctor has tested me for IC (interstitial cystitis) and urine tests and bacterial cultures – all of which came back negative. I’m wondering if anyone else has had bladder pain (only when bladder fills up and is emptied) after their hysterectomy (LAVH in my case) and can tell me if it takes a long time (more than 2 months?) to heal from bladder pain? Any advice would be appreciated. ConcerndPatient
Unread 11-19-2007, 05:55 AM

I had my LVAH on Oct 29, and I too feel teh same when my bladder is full and when i empty. I think its normal, i just figured it was... I also have a new pain and thats on my left side, it hurts and I have no clue why....Its only on my left side and i feel it more when i go to the bathroom ....Anyone else have this...
Unread 11-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Bladder Problems

I had my hysterectomy and Burch Procedure on 10/31/07. One week after the surgery superpubic drain was removed. I was told it would feel different (like peeing around a corner) untill my brain respondes to the new location of my bladder. I am feeling the urge to go constantly and I don't think I am empyting all the way. This is interupting rest can't nap - up every 1/2 hour to pee. Night time is better only getting up 4 times but I am taking tylenal PM and an Ambien. I just put a call into the doctor to see if this all is normal and to ask how long it takes for urination to feel normal. I could have handled hysterecotmy this bladder surgery has been the worst. I will post what the doc says when he calls

Unread 11-19-2007, 01:48 PM

Hi, thanks for responding. I was tested with yet another culture that came back positive for bacterial vaginosis (BV). I'm almost 11 wks post-op and have already had a bladder infection and a BV infection (those two infections were in the first month after surgery. I'm not sure why kind of surgery you had but I had a LAVH and still have my ovaries. Based on my experience, I would recommend you cont. take it easy and if you feel abnormal pelvic or bladder or even bowel pain, get tested for bladder and/or BV infections -- they seem to have gotten the best of me post-surgery. I wish you well in your cont. healing stage and hope this email helps. Sure is tough being a woman! ConcerndPatient
Unread 11-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Hi all,
I am also searching for answers about this as I am 8 months post op and have been experiencing bladder pain all the way through this recovery. It seemed to level off at one point but now it is constant. Checked with the doctor at my 6 month follow up and had a CAT scan done to check for more endo or anything abnormal but nothing showed. I have just started being sexually active and it seems that that activity has made it worse. I am also active in sports though and wondered if it isn't just muscle tissue that I keep retearing. Lately though it is much more of a crampy pain right in the middle of my abdomen where my bladder is. I question an infection all the time but so far results have been negative. I don't seem to have frequent urination but I do feel like my bladder is never empty and the abdominal swelling is still unbelievable. By the evening it is so swollen and usually goes down by morning but it is very uncomfortable and the bloating and pain keeps me up nights. Looking for anyone that had a TAH around March 2007 that is experienceing anything similar. At this point, been taking Motrin every night and sometimes during the day but I try not to take too many. I have even had to take Vicoden recently so I can sleep. I don't feel that this is normal so I would appreciate any feedback!!!
Unread 11-19-2007, 09:22 PM

hey girlz.........i'm 9 weeks out, and my bladder still has an uncomfortable feeling when i'm almost done..........the gyno told me at 6 weeks it was normal for it to be that way, considering the trauma undergone etc........and last week at the gp's, i mentioned it to her, and she said the same thing, and that the bigger the uterus before surgery, the more trouble the bladder has of settling into its "new" position - hence the spasms etc. makes sense, i guess, so i'm not too worried. although she said if it was still the same after another month, to go and she will order tests to see if all is well. i've not had any uti symptoms, no temperatures, no dark, cloudy or frothy urnine, no burning on passing etc, and don't have any vaginitis symptoms at all. but, what i have noticed, is that i went away for the weekend, and as usual when i'm away, i didn't have a bowel movement, and the bladder spasms settled down a lot. now that i'm home, and took something to "go", the bladder is annoyed again??? hmmm........ all very curious indeed??? hopefully we are all just fine, and just need to pamper the princess some more............gee.

ps hey hockeynut.....would a cat scan show up endo?? i know nothing about endo??? because from reading other girlz posts about endo, it does sound like what you might have??? what about an mri ???
Unread 11-19-2007, 09:41 PM
Bladder issues

I had my TVH, bladder hernia repair, rectal hernia repair and bladder sling on Oct 29th - my bladder does not like to be really full- it gets really uncomfortable, almost hurts, but not quite, then will feel uncomfortable when emptying it. I just assumed it was because it was messed with so much with the hernia repair and sling too, and the uterus being gone now. At first I had to go all of the time - too often, but now that has tapered off, and is uncomfortable when it gets full and I have to remind myself to try really hard to hold it until I get to the bathroom, which I am almost successful at. It seems to me that getting bowel and bladder function back to normal is going to take quite some time, and I find it very frustrating, because I didn't think of those things before surgery.

Tonight I sneezed and it really hurt my rectal repair, and it hurt for about a half hour after that. I had to go lay down. I didn't want to take Percocet, because it constipates me something terrible and I have to work really, really hard to be regular with that stuff. It stopped hurting after about a half hour, but I have sneezed before this and it didn't hurt my rectal repair.

I'm so glad we can talk about all of this stuff, because there are so many weird things that go on after this surgery, that there is no way the docs can prepare us for all of it.

Thanks so much ladies for all of your posts - they are so helpful! I hope everyone's bladder issues get better and better as each day goes by!

Sandy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register