Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007 - Page 18 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007

Unread 12-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007

Hi, I had a Vaginal Hysterectomy 11/20/07, kept my ovaries, that was my main concern.. Doing well, couldn't eat much for @1 1/2 weeks, felt alot of abdominal discomfort. I was told no driving for a month but did after 2 weeks, really hard with 3 children needing to get places. I feel good but get tired by the end of the day. I'm sure I'm doing to much to soon but that's the type of person I am. I still have cramping mainly at the end of the day, anyone else with these same symptoms?? Didn't take much for pain do to the fact I was having trouble with bowel movements.. Still not wonderful with that yet.. Keep well..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 12:29 PM

cbouch, I am having some of the same symptoms and my TVH was 11/19. It took awhile for me to feel like eating again too, and I cramp and get tired by the end of the day. I know what it is like having to get kids around (I have 5), but I am lucky DH can work from home the next few weeks so he can do most of the driving. I feel tons worse if I try to drop off kids at school, etc. I keep telling myself, rest now and I'll be better off in the long run, so I let DH do the drop offs, etc as much as possible.

You probably need to rest more. We cut as many activities as possible for these 2 months and try to get rides for the kids whenever we can.

I've been eating dried plums (prunes) each day for the BMs. A few throughout the day have kept me moving. That and whenever I walk around, it seems to go better.
Unread 12-09-2007, 02:55 PM

cbouch,

I had LAVH on the 19th. My dr said I could drive after 10 days. I like to use a small pillow between me and the lap belt. Watch ahead and don't make any sudden stops.

I have the crampy feeling and tire when I been up to long.

I took a stool softener for a couple of days and hadn't any more problems with bm.

It's hard not to over do it but you could have real problems down the road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-09-2007, 03:31 PM

I think having no obvious external `wounds' or plaster like when you break a leg, makes people forget we've had surgery (for me it was a TVH). I have to keep reminding myself to do less than I want to. My husband works from home thankfully, so he's doing the school drop offs for my daughter - it would be hard to manage without that. I'm kind of putting off returning to driving, as I think the expectations to do more errands will increase then! I was told 2-3 weeks no driving .

I also feel pretty good, mainly just tire at the end of the day. I went out yesterday for 7 hours to have lunch and a day spa with 3 friends, and it was such a treat! was tired when I got home, but felt ok after a rest on the couch. That was by far my longest outing so far in my 2.5 weeks post-op. Am having a quiet day today.

I don't get pain, just an occasional twinge, sometimes on the right side of my abdomen.

Hope everyone continues to make steady progress...
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:08 PM

Hello my sisters! I'm on day 19 after a total laparoscopic hysterectomy - everything removed (11/20). Doc told me at my one-week check up that I could take a bath, even though he did a couple of small stiches vaginally to be sure to close everything, and that i could drive when I was no longer taking narcotics. He told my family after the surgery that I could go back to work after 10 days - desk work only - but they urged him not to tell me that - they wanted me to take off at least 3 or 4 weeks (they know how I am). After being housebound for 2 1/2 weeks, I ventured out on Saturday, and found that I got tired pretty quickly. I went to church this morning, but had to leave after a short time - more tired than I thought I would be. I plan to go to work tomorrow, at least for a couple of hours, but I've been strongly encouraged to take it easy, take a few more days off - even by my boss. It will pretty much be a "game time decision" - what I feel like when I wake up tomorrow.
Unread 12-09-2007, 05:31 PM

I think we all are experiencing the same symptoms after almost 3 weeks. I too get tired so easily. It is hard not to overdo it sometimes especially with it being so close to Xmas. Saw my abdominal scar for the first time today when I took the sterile strips off.....not too terribly ugly. I am 60, a breast cancer survivor and had to wait til after the surgery to know for sure my 4 inch mass on my ovary was benign so I will happily live with the scar and the slow recovery.

Almost every woman I know who has had a hysterectomy say they were glad it was done.
Unread 12-09-2007, 06:30 PM
10 days out

I had an LAVH 10 days ago and feel like all the information I read before my surgery was very misleading.
My recovery is going very SLOW.
I was not expecting so much pain and fatique.
I went to my DR. for a 1 week post-op on Thursday.
He said all looks good, but to keep taking pain medication.
I cannot take the narcotic perscribed, so I'm just doing Motrin for pain management.
Any thoughts of encouragement???!
Unread 12-09-2007, 07:32 PM

Ellie,

It will get better. I'm at my third week and it's alot better then my 2nd. You will probably still get tired and have some pain but it will get easier. Just take it easy.

But if time passes for you like it does for me, we will all be celebrating Christmas 2008 in a blink of an eye!!

I keep hearing the same thing too. Everyone has been happy that they had their hysterectomy! It will be all of us saying that soon.
Unread 12-10-2007, 06:51 AM

I had an abdominal hysterectomy on Nov. 26th due to enlarged fibroids. Ovaries were left in. I still have pain on and off, mostly gas pain when I need to have a bm. Doc gave me Dulcolax, a stool softner and said I could take Miralax if needed which helps with constipation. I didn't realize that the pain killers would cause constipation but that combination (along with coffee) really helps me.
Does anyone else get a ripping sensation like your skin is being pulled apart?
Unread 12-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Subtotal Hysterectomy

Hi Hystersisters...

I had my womb removed 3 weeks ago (Subtotal Hysterectomy).

As I do not have any helpers to assist me in doing the house chores, I have to do it myself..... except mopping the floor which is done by my husband.

After reading Hystersisters' on the DOs and DONT's for post-op hysterectomy, I am rather worried that my internal stitches will not recovered as fast as it should be.... I am afraid they might be torn.....

I am experiencing some brown staining now as I was told by my gynae that there will be some staining every month.

Am I worrying too much ?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register