Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007 - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007 Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007

Unread 11-28-2007, 04:47 PM
Hysterectomy dates Nov 19-Nov 26,2007

It's day 9 for me, I had a SAH on 11/20, went home on Thanksgiving day...bm's were normal first two days at home, and then I got hit with...what I will refer to as....the whopper. This was four days ago....I'd been constipated all day, did a very tiny bm...more gas and gas pains...and then around midnight...realized I had to do a bm, and I felt like I got turned inside out--it must have been backed up for days, but I literally saw stars afterward. After that I started taking correctol to keep things moving.
I'm still doing Motrin during the day and a percocet at night to sleep, but today was the first day that I wasn't reminded every single minute by my own body that I'd had surgery.
Energy level is pretty normal, pain is only if I try to do too much, stairs are not a problem, staples were removed and steri strips added, some light spotting, and that's it!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-28-2007, 05:37 PM

Hi Sisters,
I'm now Day 8 after my TVH, and having a quiet day today, as I overdid the walking yesterday (around the block too many times), and just CRASHED about 7pm and was exhausted and lay on the couch for a while. I think my recovery had been going so well I stepped up my expectations too much! Well, I'm listening to my body and going cautiously today.

As for looking after a 3 year old... we have a 2 yo and a 5yo. The 5yo is at school which is a great help, and the 2yo is hard work to entertain while trying not to lift train boxes or pick him up! We've been doing stories, puzzles, playdoh, and taking up all offers of family help to take him out for a morning etc. I feel very lucky to have had some offers of help. We have also booked extra childcare where available (1.5-2 days a week) so I can really relax those days.

Good luck to all the rest of you ladies...
Unread 11-28-2007, 09:03 PM

Hi all! Today is 1 wk post surgery for me. I got my staples out on Monday and yes I too had a few gaps in my incision, but they are quickly growing together...even with only 4 small steri strips holding it put!! I also dealt with the bladder spasms, where I'd go a bit then sit on the pot for 5 minutes trying to relax enough to empty out more. This I was told by my doctor is normal for the first few weeks. If it continues I am to call her...especially if there is burning when I go. I wondered about the discharge, but can see from many of your posts that its normal as long as its not bright red or like a period. As far as pain meds go...I'm taking 800 mg motrin every 6 hours (or when I remember to) and demerol when I need it. I took one early this morning and then not again until 9pm tonight. I even did a load of laundry today, but I can tell that nearly put me over the edge because I've got pain tonight! Its only been a week since my surgery and I'm starting to go stir crazy. Thank God for Netflix and multiple phone calls from friends and family to keep me busy! Oh, I agree sitting in a chair really hurts my bottom too...but they did do a lot of work down there as well because of the endo!! Anyone else literally almost go through the roof when you feel a bm moving down the pipes?! Doc said that too would take a while to heal. I almost forgot, the nausea does pass if you make sure you eat small meals while you take your pain meds. I also found that eating things with spice or mucho flavor will help.

Sending gentle hugs to all of you ladies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-29-2007, 06:10 AM
Question about meds

I know this is technically a doctor question but just curious, how many milligrams of ibuprofen are some of you taking during the day? I know that taking 4 at 200 mg each is like taking 1 motrin(prescription strength). Do I need to alternate with Tylenol? I am taking hydromorphone at night(dilaudid 2mg)

ps--oh my did percocet make me feel funky in the castle!! I was having weird things happen--looked under the side effects and you can have hallucinations at the onset of sleep--talk about a wild ride!!
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:32 AM

Good Morning -Day 4 of my recovery
This morning I was able to shower without assistance , my BM caused me to see stars. Just taking it day by day . I hopped on the schedule this morning I lost 9 pounds, I was suprised had to look one more time. Did anyone experience weight loss?
As for the meds question I take Vicodin but I only take it at night, Percocet made me loopy in the hospital. I was given 2 percocet in the hospitaI was sleeping so I was cut down to one.
I didnt expereince neussea bexuase I asked for anti nusea med before my TAH. It was in my IV by my anthesiologist. Using my 6 week leave as a time to really relax and pamper myself. Started a new skin care regime yesterday. Please excuse my typos Iam pretty pooped.
Little tasks seem to poop me out.
Unread 11-29-2007, 06:38 AM

I take 2 ibuprofen at night. I haven't taken bladder spasm meds for over 36 hours. Not much pain right now. I did have some bright red spotting this morning. Should I worry???

Hope all you sisters have a great day!
Unread 11-29-2007, 11:16 AM

Tink,

I had the same thing happen two days ago. I had two places coming apart when the staples were removed. I went home and barely moved off the couch all day, only getting up to use the bathroom or get a snack. I went back to my doctor yesterday and the areas are coming together. She was very surprised at the quick healing but said I'm not out of the woods yet. The whole thing could split open if I'm not extra cautious.
Unread 11-29-2007, 01:35 PM

Hi sisternumber three,

I've been taking 2x 200mg ibuprofen once or twice a day, depending on how I'm going, and pain/discomfort wise that seems to cover me (I'm day8 now post TVH). Though I had a panadeine forte (not sure if this is just an Australian name) last night as I had a slight fever.

good luck with your pain relief concoctions!
Unread 11-29-2007, 02:40 PM

I had emergency surgery on Sunday 11/25. Ovaries, uterus, everything ... gone. Apparently, a softball sized dermoid caused my right ovary to twist and die and burst and otherwise wreak havoc on my insides. That explained the intense pain. The other ovary had a baseball sized dermoid that had not caused a twist yet, but probably would at some point. At that point, it just seemed like the right thing to do to lose the uterus too.

It still has not sunk in. I'm second-guessing my decision to let everything go. Not that I can rewind and do anything differently. It seemed right at the time and my doctor made a good case.

I've been taking short walks throughout the day. Darvocet and Ibuprofen are the pain meds of choice for me. Feeling ok ... very emotional and very BORED! Staples are coming out tomorrow.

Thanks for letting me vent. Have a good day. sandy
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisternumber3
I know this is technically a doctor question but just curious, how many milligrams of ibuprofen are some of you taking during the day? I know that taking 4 at 200 mg each is like taking 1 motrin(prescription strength). Do I need to alternate with Tylenol? I am taking hydromorphone at night(dilaudid 2mg)

ps--oh my did percocet make me feel funky in the castle!! I was having weird things happen--looked under the side effects and you can have hallucinations at the onset of sleep--talk about a wild ride!!
I am a nurse and by no means am I a doctor but I was allways taught that the max amount of Ibuprofen that could be taken in a 24 hour time frame is 2400mg which would be 800mg every 8hrs.You can alternate with Tylenol as it is not a antiinflamatory but be sure that none of your pain meds have tylenol in them(most of the pain meds that end in CET have tylenol in them allready and you do not want to OD because it can cause nasty liver problems.If you take to much ibuprofen it can cause bleeding also.You can allways call your doctor and talk to one of there nurses or the doc them selves.They would be able to tell you how much of what is safe for you to take.Again I am not a doctor so this is just my very humble opion,Take care and let us know how you are doing.I am also on the dilaudid 4mg about 4 times a day,Becarfull it is very constipaiting or atleast it has been for me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register