One Week Down | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

One Week Down One Week Down

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:35 PM
One Week Down

I had vaginal hyst. on 11/12. My dr. was able to save my ovaries and tubes. Thank God.

I have not had pain meds outside of tylenol since day 3 when I was released from the hospital (allergic reaction to pain killers so I am acutely aware of every sensation from surgery).

I have had a constant "drainage" in my vaginal area. It was bloody at first but now it is yellow like urine and has a very strong oder. I'm having to wear a pad at all times and constantly feel it draining. Is this normal??

I'm also experiencing the bloating feeling in my belly. I feel like I'm ALWAYS rubbing it.

Any advice?????

Thank you, in advance, for sharing your experience and/or recommendations.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
Hi

I am one day later than you..my surgery was 11-13. I have not had much drainage, but I do understand the bloating. I am not eating much, but I am so bloated that I am uncomfortable! I have read that is normal for several weeks. Yea. Good luck recouperating!
Doyce
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
One Week Down

Thank you! U2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-19-2007, 12:46 PM
One Week Down

Hi Michelle, I too had a TVH on 11/12. I still have my ovaries and tubes as well, so it sounds like we are in the same boat.

I have had bleeding/drainage since the procedure as well and I believe this is normal. I was told this would last a few weeks and sorry to be graphic, but I was told it would turn from 'red' to 'brownish' color as we heal. I have noticed my 'drainage' starting to be more brownish, but, I still have times I wipe red. I haven't noticed a strong odor though? And, it's not a lot, I don't 'feel' it draining. But, it's enough that I have to wear a pad.

I hope this helps! And, I'm so sorry you aren't able to take pain medication. Hang in there!
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:52 PM
One Week Down

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad to hear your ovaries were able to be saved too.

I only bled for a couple of days but the yellow drainage is ALL day. I'm going to give it another day then call my surgeon.

I wish I had the pain meds too . . . if nothing else but to help me sleep through the worst of this.

I hope your recovery goes well. I'm sure I'll be using this forum as days progress.

M
Unread 11-19-2007, 12:59 PM
One Week Down

Sounds like a good plan. I hope it's nothing - best of luck to you.
Unread 11-19-2007, 05:45 PM
One Week Down

Hey Ladies,
I had my hysterectomy on Nov 15th, I was also able to keep my ovaries but I was told that I had endometriosis and a blue black lesion on my left tube which was sent to pathology for diagnosis. Are either of you familiar with this? I was a little concern, as far as my recovery I am stir crazy at home and I have probably overdone it at times. I have had a little clear drainage but not bad. I wish you full and speedy recovery.....
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:06 PM
One Week Down

A constant drainage is common (I still have a heavy yellow watery discharge after 4 weeks). Sometimes the smell may be different from pre-op however it should not have a foul odor which is a sign of infection. If it is very watery and leaks rather than a constant discharge, there could be a problem with the bladder and it may actually be urine as I have heard other ladies on this site mention. It sounds like you should check with the doctor just to be safe.
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:29 PM
One Week Down

Hi Ladies - I am three weeks out today, and I have just a small amount (mostly spotting) of brownish drainage, don't feel it, but wear a lightdays pad all of the time. Yesterday I over did it a little, and had a little light bleeding for a few minutes, but then it stopped again. Today very minimal brownish spotting. My doc did tell me that there can be drainage and it can smell weird, and that's normal. I would probably be careful of yellow drainage that is a lot and smells foul, as it could be infection. Maybe better to check than not? I read a post from one lady who waited a long time to check that out and she ended up with such a bad infection at the site where they cut the uterus out, that she had to have a drain inserted to get the infection out. She posted to advise anyone who was having any signs of infection to go in early.

I hope all goes well for you!

Sandy
Unread 11-19-2007, 06:43 PM
One Week Down

Hi,
I had a TVH November 13 and was discharged a day later. The ovaries are gone as well. I have a slight pink discharge and the same bloated feeling and straining at the stools as all of you. Stool softeners do help, though. Sunday I felt restless and took a drive to the store for some supplies. Do not do that! I now have a twinge in my abdomen and some indication that I may have overdone it. We will see.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register