Ouch! Silver Nitrate Hurts :( | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ouch!  Silver Nitrate Hurts  :( Ouch! Silver Nitrate Hurts :(

Unread 11-19-2007, 11:14 PM
Ouch! Silver Nitrate Hurts :(

Well, I went to my 6-week follow-up today armed with about 38 questions and he also told me that the "innards" he took out of me were fine...but he did say I had adenomyosis. He explained what it was and that it was the culprit behild me having all those extremely heavy periods and the only real way to "cure" it was hysterectomy. I came home and did some checking about it online and from what I've gathered that is indeed the deal or waiting and hoping menopause will stop it. I personally had no choice at the time because I was bleeding out so badly, something had to make it stop, but it's nice to see it written in the medical sites.

Then it was time to peek inside of me and he said everything was healing up beautifully except one stitch which he had to apply silver nitrate on.

I got up to get further bloodwork on my leg cramps and then the burning set in. I went over to the nurse and asked if it was supposed to be burning like that and she replied, "yes, and if that's the only side effect you're having, you're lucky". Now usually I would have asked her what the heck she meant, but for some reason I pooh-poohed it (maybe the burning overrode it) and walked off to get my bloodwork.

I came home and had a little bit of brown spotting on my underwear a couple hours after - called them up and they said that was usual for a couple days after, just if it turned bright red to call them right away.

Well, I just went to the bathroom and now I have little silver flecks coming out. I sure hope that's okay and that they aren't burning anything else on their way "out".

Anyone else have little silver flecks afterward?

Anyone else have "other" side effects??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 06:55 AM

Yikes, is this something I may be looking forward to?

NP, did you have an abdominal or a vaginal? How can they tell what's going on inside with the stitches?
Unread 11-20-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEllen49
Yikes, is this something I may be looking forward to?

NP, did you have an abdominal or a vaginal? How can they tell what's going on inside with the stitches?
JoEllen - I believe it was a stitch on my little vaginal cuff where they removed my cervix from my vagina...they just see that the regular way like when they do a pap smear..."insert duckbill...shine light inside" kinda dealie.

I would figure not everyone gets silver nitrate'd (yes, I love to make up words - it's a fun hobby of mine) - and from what I've read not everyone even gets pain when it's done. Maybe it's because mine hasn't been touched in sooooooooo long! Hey, I didn't say that. :X

Ooops, forgot to say I had an abdominal one as my uterus was way too big to slide out the other way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:34 AM

So I might have stitches up at the top of my vagina? You'd think I would know that. Probably, since my cervix was removed also.

Gosh, maybe I should start asking some questions.

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:35 AM

ha ha ha, well if that's the reason you're having pain, I'm sure if I'm silver nitrated, I'll be right there with you.

Unread 11-20-2007, 09:09 AM

Hi. I had to have the silver nitrate treatment three or four times. I had some brown discharge with brown "flecks" at times, burning and cramping afterward each time.

I think the worse that can happen is an allergic reaction. I might be wrong but I don't recall reading about anything worse than that!
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM

From what I've read here, brown discharge is normal, silver flecks of silver nitrate is common and normal, and cramping & burning is normal. How fun is this? I see my doc in an hour and may refuse the nitrate if he offers it. I have enough to deal with. I'll bet some Tylenol or Motrin will help w/the burning and cramping. I hope your new panties didn't get ruined. Hydrogen peroxide works well at removing blood from clothing.
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:32 AM

i think the further you are post op,the less you should feel it. i had a treament done at four months and i dont recall feeling too uncomfortable. i think just a little when he did it ,then it went away. a bit of dark discharge for a day,,that was it.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register