household activities post op advice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

household activities post op advice household activities post op advice

Unread 11-20-2007, 10:21 AM
household activities post op advice

hi everyone i am new here... I have just now reached the beginning of week 4 after my total abdominal hysterectomy (cervix and uterus removed...ovaries stayed). I am frustrated at how i feel pretty good one day and then very tired and in pain the next.... Exactly what household activities should i be doing at this point? As i am very stubborn and hurt my stomach yesterday changing the cat box.... any advice is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 10:24 AM

There is a link in the post op section that says which chores are off limits. I know it is hard to sit around, but it is much better to take it easy for a few more weeks than to get hurt. Please just try to relax.
Janelle
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:28 PM

Jazper - I'm 7 weeks out this thursday - my advice is to do nothing! The very most I have done so far is wash up a few dishes - cups and glasses - no pots/pans and wipe down the counter tops and bathroom sink! I am lucky that I don't have to do all the other stuff - don't get me wrong the house is an absolute disgrace but DH trying his best and I'm letting him! The last 2 and a half weeks I've really come on and I swear its coz I did nothing!!!

Roxy01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 03:45 PM

I am 2 weeks out wednesday and I did a load of dishes my first day home. I also walked out and fed the goats LOL it is just a coffee can full of food so no big deal and it was nice to get the fresh air.

I have a hard time doing nothing and if I want to I do it if I am tired I don't.

Take what your body tells you is enough and stop. Don't feel guilty if you can't finish.
I can't see how sitting on couch doing nothing is good either though personally I think it will make going back to work or life that much harder.
I am on my feet for 7 1/2 hours at work so I want to keep up some stamina
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:52 PM

it is ok to load the dish washer -- one dish at a time -- carry smaller loads to the washer -- light dusting but no stretching to get that last cobweb.

still no vaccuuming -- sweeping you may find hard -- changing sheets may be a task-- if your matress is heavy.

start by going slow and small and build up to carrying the whole load of laundry and a stack of plates.

do not feel guilty if it takes all day to do something -- you are still healing inside --even if the outside looks good.

Good luck on your recovery.
Unread 11-20-2007, 04:10 PM

jazper, I know what you mean! I am 4 weeks out today and I have been feeling better too. I still haven't touched the vaccuum or the broom. I have began cooking dinner, but I let my boys move the water filled pots and do the dishes. I have SLOWLY done a few loads of laundry...one piece of clothing at a time into washer, same with transfering them into dryer and taking them out of dryer to put them away.
I guess my motivation for limiting myself is that the Dr told my family that there is a big possibility that the bladder sling will not keep because it was a mess in there (I am waiting for my release to work appointment to ask him details on this), so I am scared that the smallest thing will undo something. I barely started driving this last week.
Only a couple more weeks until we resume to normal, hang in there!
Unread 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM

I'm with Roxy. Don't do anything if you can help it.

My doc said no lifting, no vacuuming, no sweeping, no exercising other than walking. I was able to pretty much stay with that for the full 6 weeks and I had no problems with my recovery at all.

I did find that if I over did it my body would rebel. So I knew when to rest. It might take the next two days to recover but as we've all been told, we only have one chance to make a good recovery.

I'd do as little as possible for as long as possible and give your body the time it needs to heal.

Good luck.
Unread 11-20-2007, 04:41 PM

It is hard to stay put but necessary.

I find that doing two things in one day is a no-no. DS and I stopped at the grocery store for a very few items, then to the library. Now? I'm on the couch with dh fixing dinner, utterly exhausted.

I'm not going anywhere tomorrow.
Unread 11-21-2007, 02:17 AM
thanks!

thanks all for the advice... i really appreciate it... I guess i keep overdoing things because i feel i am not doing my part in the house... my husband already works 12 hour shifts.... But i am going to take it easy until i see my doctor again the best i can lol.
Unread 11-21-2007, 02:24 AM

onelilredrose:
wow .. its really nice to meet someone that is so close to surgery days as mine was oct. 22nd. Why is it they say not to sweep? I have been sweeping my floor as the broom is light... i havnt mopped or vacumned. ive been doing the dishes and cooking nearly everyday now... im staying away from the laundry as i am too afraid of hurting myself by carrying it.... I went into work at week 2 for 4 hours twice that week.... at week three I fealt terrible and had to miss work... I made it in today and after the 4 hours my stomach was very swollen... sure is frustrating when its been so long after surgery and there is still so much more healing left to do I really hope you heal up well and quickly

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register