question about swollen belly and sex | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

question about swollen belly and sex question about swollen belly and sex

Unread 11-20-2007, 12:55 PM
question about swollen belly and sex

i'm 4 weeks-post op, i'm still having some pain in my abdomen comes and goes, but still daily. my question is, my belly feels swollen i cant wear my clothes from before surgery. is this normal i got on the scale and it said i gained 5 or 7 lbs, i'm not eating more. i am just going to be swollen like this or does it go away. also, having sex the first time, is it painful, i'm worried about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 01:01 PM

Don't have sex until six weeks, when the doctor says it's okay. Rushing back into it can tear stitches and cause bleeding or infection. Don't land yourself back in the hospital.
Unread 11-20-2007, 01:06 PM

Hi Aaron
I am 4 wks PO tomorrow and having a LSH my belly was swollen then went back down and I could get into me jeans at 2 1/2 weeks HOWEVER because I tend to overdo My belly has be come a bit swelly again and my pants are uncomfortable so it does go away and it will look normal again just watch what your doing what type Hysterectomy did you have? As far as sex jimmy was with me at my PO appt at one week she said NOTHING till 6 weeks so he stays clear LOL I 'm not anticipating having problems have heard about dryness but there are some remedies for that Maybe some sisters that have been over that hump can help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 01:21 PM

i had a tah .
on I am 4 wks PO tomorrow and having a LSH my belly was swollen then went back down and I could get into me jeans at 2 1/2 weeks HOWEVER because I tend to overdo My belly has be come a bit swelly again and my pants are uncomfortable so it does go away and it will look normal again just watch what your doing what type Hysterectomy did you have? As far as sex jimmy was with me at my PO appt at one week she said NOTHING till 6 weeks so he stays clear LOL I 'm not anticipating having problems have heard about dryness but there are some remedies for that Maybe some sisters that have been over that hump can help[/quote]
Unread 11-20-2007, 02:48 PM

I am four weeks out just like you and my old clothes don't fit yet either. I have gained about 8 pounds since my surgery but I have been enjoying food!!! (I also quit smoking) My belly is very swollen so I purchased a couple pair of elastic waist pants for the time being. I am hoping sometime in my future to get my old clothes back on. Good Luck!!!
Unread 11-20-2007, 02:53 PM

aaron1 the swelly belly will go away eventually. Everyone is different though, so unfortunately there is not definite time frame. I'm 7 weeks post op today and I just got back in my jeans yesterday but they are snug.

As far as sex, please don't try it until you get the o.k. from your doctor. Usually 6-8 weeks. You will find out at your post op. I was cleared at my 6 wk post op. I did have some dryness, but as keptmyovaries said there are simple remedies for that. Most all of the ladies that had surgery the same time as me has said they have had a great experience their first time after they were cleared.

Every week gets better. Hang in there and I hope the rest of your recovery time goes well.
Unread 11-20-2007, 03:13 PM

HI

had my post op today - 7 weeks out this Thursday - and I was cleared for sex- bit anxious though!. My belly is very swollen still and nothing from before fits me - I'm hoping it will eventually go!

Roxy01
Unread 11-21-2007, 10:15 AM

thanks everyone, at least i know i'm not alone with the swollen belly.
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:53 PM

I am eight weeks out and as to the swelly belly, there is one advantage to being overweight. I really do not notice my stomach being any larger than before, that is a small comfort at least.

As to sex my husband and I waited until I was cleared from the doctor. It was a little weird at first. I did not have a problem with dryness, but it was tight and it hurt a little the first couple of times (it was almost like being a virgin again) until my body adjusted. My husband was very happy with the "changes". he said he wanted to shake the doctor's hand. He is such a nut but it did make me feel less insecure about everything.

Good luck.
Unread 11-21-2007, 03:15 PM

Hi, I was cleared for sex at 4 weeks and a half, but we had to find a way to do it without hurting my incision. At the beginning it was a little painful not as much as expected. I began wearing my pre op cloth at 4 weeks but not my jeans, all the skin around the site feels very tender, so I prefer softer clothes. But my belly is still swelly, not as big as before but still there.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register