Lexapro Scare help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lexapro Scare help Lexapro Scare help

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:12 PM
Lexapro Scare help

Long story short ladies, I've been having a lot of trouble sleeping so the dr finally found something to help me sleep basically I've been sleeping about 1-2 hrs a night for about a full 8weeks or more. Due to this I have become some what edgy and probably alittle crazy so she prescribed for me Lexapro.

Does anyone out there have any advice on this med. I mean does I cause a lot of weight gain and sexual problems. I'm already having a little problem having the big O as it is. Trust me it's not my husband he's putting down and something serious (TMI sorry) but I'm enjoying my self even though I can't sleep much I just don't want more problems. Some one please tell me what you can about Lexapro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 08:58 PM
Lexapro Scare help

I am on celexa which is supposed to be close in the same make up as lexapro.I had a weight gain but I am not sure how much was from the drug and how much was from uterus,endo and everything else I had wrong.I have not had any sex drive to speak of but I think that could also be from having endo and having pain when have sex.Sorry I could not be of any more help.
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Lexapro Scare help

I'm on Lexapro (have been for over a year) It's wonderful for depression. I have gained weight, but that's from eating too much It's a godsend for me (not necessarily having to do with hormones, etc.)
Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-20-2007, 09:12 PM
Lexapro Scare help

Mt BF is on Lexapro ans has not gained any weight at all.

Cheers,

Starbgirl
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Lexapro Scare help

I've tried Lexapro and it killed my libido and caused dizzy spells. Inability to climax is another side effect of it. Search the net because there's alot of good sites that talk about its side effects.
That's how I found out the reason for my dizzy spells. The gyn was unfamiliar with side effects. Went back to prozac which is wonderful but also reduces libido(that's why I tried the Lexapro!!!)

Best wishes
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:25 PM
Lexapro Scare help

Funny... I've been on Lexapro for about 6 weeks now for anxiety attacks and have just realized in the past 4 weeks that my sex drive has all but disappeared. I can't live with the anxiety attacks, but can't stand not having a sex drive either. Also, it causes me to NOT sleep! I think it's time to talk with my doc about finding something more libido friendly!! No weight gain from it though, so that's a good thing.

I've kind of been waiting to see if it comes back since the hyster. 3 weeks ago. Giving it another 2 weeks to see what happens with it.

My BF won't let me go off of it altogether because my anxiety always seems to be aimed at him for absolutely no reason.

I just want to feel normal!!! AND SLEEP with out any issues!!!!
Unread 11-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Lexapro Scare help

Does Welbutrin offer the same benefits? The reaon I ask Is that my ex SIL went through several meds and ditched them all for the libido thing. Once she got on Welbutrin it increased her libido and some peole experience weight loss with it.

Starbgirl
Unread 11-20-2007, 10:41 PM
Lexapro Scare help

I know how you feel, Starbgirl. I did the same thing to my dh our first year of marriage and it was breaking us up. It IS because of prozac that we have survived 13 years very happily. But the lowering of libido has been there...(it is not TOTAL like with the lexapro and no big O probs)
I have read about it alot and it seems all of these anti-anxiety drugs have a libido side-effect. I personally try to view it like this: if we are having conflict we wouldn't be having sex AT ALL and damage would happen when our kids hear the fighting, too. At least we can have a somewhat hindered sex life but still have a happy, peaceful and conflict-free home. We start with my dh massaging my back, buttocks, and I am able to relax and become aroused from that. You just have to try a drug that doesn't shut you down completely and tweak your foreplay to find what will bring on the desire. also a drug caled buspar can help your desire if you take it in the evening by relaxing you and making you drowsy.So you can sleep after you do it,too.

Hope this helps. I feel for you, my dear sister!

TAH kept ovaries
Unread 11-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Lexapro Scare help

i've been on paxil and was switched to lexapro. i'm not sure if those effected my libido and weight gain or if it was a problem anyway. i don't have trouble sleeping, or climaxing. i'm on a very low dose for anxiety and depression. i've tried to go off completely but that didn't work out for me. so i'd rather be on something and live a happier productive life even if my sex drive is less and i'm a little chubby. my hubby still thinks i'm hot so that's a huge relief!

i'd suggest finding a psychiatrist to manage your meds if you can. they know a lot more about all the different kinds of drugs out there and can find you the right one at the correct dosage.

i just re-read your post: why not just take a little ambien or tylenol pm if it's just trouble sleeping. if you're not depressed or anxious then you don't really need lexapro, i think.

good luck sister. there's nothing like a good nights sleep.
~goosey
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:42 AM
Lexapro Scare help

I've been on Lexapro on and off for the last 2 year. Since surgery I've increase it because of anxiety. It really helps that, and depression. It does help with sleep. My anxiety and sleep problems have been worse this time so it's taking extra work to get it right. I've been on celexa and gained 10 pds. I haven't gained any with lexapro. I know some do. I've been on other antidepressants as well but lexapro seems to have the least side effect for me. It does lessen my libido but all of them have done that to me. As soon as my anxiety is undercontrol I will cut down to a lower dose. I hope you find the right one that helps you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register