Bowel movements after hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bowel movements after hyst? Bowel movements after hyst?

Unread 11-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Bowel movements after hyst?

When is the 'normal' time to have a bowel motion after the operation? ..... lol sounds yuk but I have a whole heap of 'gas' but nothing more to pass .... my op was on the 15th so a week tomorrow,
Im not feeling bloated ... well just bloated around my wound where the briusing is but other than that its not a toilet bloat I have **sighs**
Can anyone please enlighten me on when to expect to start going again?

Please and Thank-you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2007, 01:30 AM

It took me about 5-6 days before I went, and I felt no discomfort. But, started getting nervous once I realized it had been almost a week.
Unread 11-21-2007, 01:35 AM

So I should hopefully be expecting it to happen anytime from now? .... thats whats getting me nervous is the fact I havent been for 7days now!! arrgghhhh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2007, 01:39 AM

I would check with doc just to be sure. And, really what helped me is I started really downing some water. I also faithfully took my softners twice a day.
Unread 11-21-2007, 02:02 AM

It was 8 days for me. Before that, lots of rumbling and gas, No stool softeners, just prunes.
Many false alarms,
Lots of water is a good idea.

TAH 10-9-07
Unread 11-21-2007, 02:21 AM

I think the time is nearing? ... Iv got alot more rumbling going on in my tummy and also 'feel' like I may need to go

Prunes is a good idea!! if nothing happens by tomorrow I'll have to buy some!
Unread 11-21-2007, 02:29 AM

was 8 days for me... also took 3 weeks to have what i would call back to a "normal" feeling.

I understand the worry your going through as i went through it too... call your doctor if you dont have anything happen soon
Unread 11-21-2007, 11:45 AM

I started to get Colace as soon as I was out of surgery. Dr. ordered at least 2x's a day. I have continued to take it 2x's a day since coming home but have also took the advice of some of the other sisters here and have incorporated prune juice into my diet at least twice a day. I have had small bm's since coming home but yesterday had what I would consider a normal bm, wow! did not know how good it would feel to get back to "normal"! Continue what your doctor has ordered for your home care and you should be fine. I thought that I would never pee normal again but hey, It all works out! Best luck and recovery to you!

Bobbie In Idaho
TVH, anterior repairs w/TOT bladder sling
Unread 11-21-2007, 12:50 PM

I was released from the hospital after 5 nights in and I hadn't gone naturally, if you know what I mean, so they cleared my bowel for me before I left!

I had a lot of pain (called out to God on numerous occasions!) with gas and got peppermint oil to put in boiling water to drink and also a natural husk remedy to put in juice to help a movement - Lepicol it's called here - so after a couple of days at home I was going every day but with the help of the Lepicol - have stopped that now for about 2 weeks - so at week 5 - but am not passing every day - about every second day.

Try drink loads of water as well!
Unread 11-21-2007, 09:36 PM

It took me 6 days and that was with stool softeners and lots of water. I was rumbing with gas so much before that I never knew if it was going to be "scoring a goal" or just "creating a breeze". I was terrified about the pain of my first movement, but it wasn't that bad (I had coughed and sneezed previously and the pain sent me through the roof).

Good Luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register