Surgery Monday | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Special Needs > Cancer Concerns - GYN

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Monday Surgery Monday

Unread 11-21-2007, 05:29 AM
Surgery Monday

I'm having my DaVinci surgery on Monday and I'm really starting to freak out...I was wondering if anyone had any tricks to getting through the bowel prep? My stomach is shot and I wondered how you all got through it.
Also, if anyone's had the DaVinci surgery (thanks Melissande for all your great info) could you tell me what I need to bring to the hospital. I understand the stay isn't that long, but do you get to shower before you leave? Do I need my own nightgowns or toiletries or am I not going to be there long enough to need any of that?
As you can see, I concentrate on details when my mind can't cope with the issue at hand!
Also, anything I should have in the house for after I get home?
Thanks for putting up with me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Surgery Monday

dear beachlover...i'm glad you're getting your surgery soon...you'll be able to enjoy thanksgiving (if you can forget about your surgery...lol) and you'll be recovered before christmas. enjoy the pampering while it lasts!

what kind of bowel prep. do you have? mine was some powder in the bottom of a huge container, which i filled with water, shook it up and drank the day before my surgery. my surgery was the open type and they already knew from a previous surgery that i would need a bowel re-section as well as de-bulking, so obviously i needed a full "cleanse". i don't really have any tips...my stomach was also sensitive as i had just had open abdominal surgery 4 weeks before and was still recovering. i just drank it slowly over the course of the day and hoped for the best. luckily i didn't throw up and after a few hours it started working. (i didn't have any bowel prep. prior to my first surgery which was supposed to be a t.a.h.).

good luck and someone will be along to advise you on those other details. happy thanksgiving!
Unread 11-21-2007, 06:53 AM
Surgery Monday

Dear Beachlover,

Concerning bowel prep -- there's no getting around it, this is quite unpleasant. There are ways, however, to make it a bit less-so.

I wish I could tell you who said it, but I just read that one woman did her prep two days before surgery (instead of the day before) and then consumed only clear liquids the next day. You would have to ask your dr is this is allowable, but I REALLY like the idea. With bowel prep the day before and then no food or liquids that night, it's standard that patients show up at the hospital dehydrated, which doesn't seem like the best way to head into surgery.

Also, in order to make the bowel cleansing the least traumatic, it's a good idea to eat lightly before you do it. The problem here, of course, is that Thanksgiving is not known as a good day for eating soup, but do your best to eat lightly for a couple of days.

One final word -- baby wipes. Toilet paper gets to be really awful, so it's good to clean with wet wipes. I like natural baby wipes (7th generation) since they are unscented and don't have any ingredients that will sting irritated skin.

It's good to focus on these little things to help you through the pre-op jitters.

I'm so very happy for you that your surgery will be minimally invasive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2007, 11:16 AM
Surgery Monday

Hi Beachie,

Try not to worry. You are in good handS!
Have you discovered out pre-op forum yet?https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_pre.htm
Check it out for all sorts of helpful hints to help make your trip to the castle as trouble-free as possible. When you get home, you can check out the post op forums, as well!

Here's a link from one of our advertisers, about their Da Vinci system. It tells about hospital stays, incisions, etc etc.
http://www.familyjoy.net/pages/davincisurgicalsystem

Good luck ..will be keeping you in thought and prayer!

xoxo
k9
Unread 11-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Surgery Monday

Hi Beachlover...I had the DaVinci surgery in August, 2007...amazingly I awoke with no real pain....the bowel prep was the night before..I had to drink fleet phososoda...I made sure it was very cold and drank it fast...it worked within the hour and I had to repeat it 3 hours later...not to bad...I also had to do a small fleet enema the morning of.....also, for me not a problem....I was only in hospital 23 hours so I did not even use my nightgown that I bought...however, because of the swelling in the abdominal area I could not fit in the pants that I bought to wear home and instead wore a pair of my pajama pants home that I also had packed....my body was pretty swollen the first week or so and I found I could not even fit in my largest pairs of pj pants...so I basically lived in my oversized nightgowns and nightshirt for the week.....I was so glad to have the opportunity to have this surgery.....like I said I awoke with no pain....the only time I experienced discomfort was the first few days until I figured out the best way to get up and down and in and out of bed...I only stayed on pain med for 3 days and than prescription strength motrin for another week or so...good luck...can't wait to hear from you on the other side in post op!
Unread 11-23-2007, 11:45 AM
Surgery Monday

Quote:
Originally Posted by geniemiami
Dear Beachlover,

Concerning bowel prep -- there's no getting around it, this is quite unpleasant. There are ways, however, to make it a bit less-so.

I wish I could tell you who said it, but I just read that one woman did her prep two days before surgery (instead of the day before) and then consumed only clear liquids the next day. You would have to ask your dr is this is allowable, but I REALLY like the idea. With bowel prep the day before and then no food or liquids that night, it's standard that patients show up at the hospital dehydrated, which doesn't seem like the best way to head into surgery.

Also, in order to make the bowel cleansing the least traumatic, it's a good idea to eat lightly before you do it. The problem here, of course, is that Thanksgiving is not known as a good day for eating soup, but do your best to eat lightly for a couple of days.

One final word -- baby wipes. Toilet paper gets to be really awful, so it's good to clean with wet wipes. I like natural baby wipes (7th generation) since they are unscented and don't have any ingredients that will sting irritated skin.

It's good to focus on these little things to help you through the pre-op jitters.

I'm so very happy for you that your surgery will be minimally invasive.
That was probably me that you remember posting about doing the bowel prep two days before surgery. I did it that way on my Docs suggestion because of my travel situation (surgeon 4 hours drive from my home.. did bowel prep in hotel room).

The worst part was having a Luby's Cafeteria outside my hotel room!! I kept the curtains CLOSED. oh.. and man.. they had homemade cookies in the hotel lobby the day before my surgery. torture.

We did splurge for a hotel room with a full kitchen, so that was helpful for making jello, etc.

And the poster who mentioned about having a swollen tummy.. I forgot that that happened to me too. I just wore nightgowns and loose fitting dresses for a while.. but I didn't need loose fitting underwear like so many mention.. mine didn't bother me.

Hang in there Beachlover, you'll be on the other side very soon now.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register