How much red is too much red? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much red is too much red? How much red is too much red?

Unread 11-21-2007, 03:50 PM
How much red is too much red?

I'm 3 weeks post op (TAH). I've been sick for almost 2 weeks now, coughing alot everyday. I'm not sure if that's what's causing me to be so sore or if something else is going on. Honestly, I feel like I'm back in Week 1 again

So I just went potty and noticed a definite red discharge. Not yellow, not faint, not like it has been. This is definitely red, but not alot, it's not like flowing out. But it's definitely red.

Should I be concerned?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Hey JoEllen,

Aren't we at that stage when we're supposed to start losing all those internal stitches? Not that I know what colour they're supposed to be. Maybe your coughing is causing a bit of irritation inside near your stitch line?? I don't think it would hurt to give your doc a call just to be sure. I think I'd be more worried if I hadn't had any discharge at all and it just happened.
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:18 PM

Thank you Woobie!! I was just reading on the net, I think it's normal. I read there can be a "burst" of bleeding at 2-3 weeks due to internal stitches dissolving or blood clots falling apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-21-2007, 04:27 PM

Gotta love the net!! I feel really bad after reading up on how everyone's doing... I'm afraid to say I've been doing so well - like I'm going to Jinx myself.... quick where's some wood...lol...

I haven't had any gas / BM pains and no discharge or bleeding whatsoever. I very grateful on this fact but I just sit here and kind of wait for it! I really thought that I'd start to see something when the stitches started to heal up.

I did however flood the hospital bed on day 2. I thought the catheter broke it was that bad. Flooded the sheets down past my knees. There was blood in it and I told them even though it felt like the catheter had issues I wasn't sure that was where it was coming from. Sure enough after confirming catheter status they said this was common from having a hyster surgery. I just couldn't imagine if I was all stitched up at the top of the vagina where all that fluid had been hiding out???...lol.....

Are you still bleeding?
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:29 PM

I must add in here though... the pain over the last couple of days has been horrific. Even though everything else seems to be going along nicely, I feel like I've gone back a few weeks. Had real bad day yesterday.
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:33 PM

LOL Should read 1st, post 2nd! We learn as we go I suppose

I'm so glad you're having a good time of it. Maybe it's all that warm Australian sunshine? I think I might feel better if I could enjoy the sun's rays Just cold rain here.

I don't know, I'm going to go upstairs and check again in a few minutes. It's a long ways upstairs, just going to sit here for awhile.
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:39 PM

Hi
I had my TAH on 11/01 and this week I went thru something similar,
I felt like I had just started my period when I went to the restroom I saw I stained my precious granny panties with bright red blood, but I also passed a small clot or at least thats what I thought it was. After that it's not happened again. Some one advised that it is the healing part, and if we pass big clots we should call the dr.
Hopefully it will be better.
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:42 PM

Sit... and relax.... and I'd love to send some beautiful Aussie sunshine your way... except we've got the mother of all storms smashing down around us. So my wonderful partner not only put up with everything I dished out yesterday he ran around with towels to put down by all our new windows to stop the flooding!!!

But I promise...as soon as that sun hints of a ray it's yours....
Unread 11-21-2007, 04:52 PM

When I was reading this site before my surgery, I read about Mean Week 5. I don't remember anyone saying anything about Mean Week 3. Is Week 5 going to be worse??

Unread 11-21-2007, 04:54 PM

What???What??? What the heck is Mean Week 5.... this gets WORSE?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register