Gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:45 AM
Gas

Hi ladies, I'm two days post-op, and this gas, oh my!!! It is rumbling and bubbling. It comes up, to the point that I feel like I'm going to go to the bathroom, and then, I can't even pass the gas, let alone go to the bathroom. Why won't it pass?? It rumbles right back up the front every time. I have had zofran today, pepcid, chamomile tea, and I had gas x last night. Anymore sugggestions, ladies?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2007, 09:52 AM
Gas

i also had terrible gas pains for the first 3-4 days. even though you don't feel like it the very best thing i did was move around. every hour or so i would do a lap on the hospital ward-slow, painful but i really believe that it was the only thing that worked. the good news is that the incisions don't hurt as much after the gas is passed!
Unread 11-22-2007, 09:56 AM
Gas

I have been up and walking, and I don't think that the incisions hurt as bad as the gas. If it would just pass, lol, I'd love at this point for it to pass LOUDLY, haha!! I just want it out. Thanks for answering!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-22-2007, 05:35 PM
Gas

Hey MollyMolly,
I am @ 4 weeks now post-op...and the first 3-4 days after surgery I had the same...TERRIBLE gas! Not being able to pass much of anything. Suggestions that helped me were as follows.... walking,,,even if it hurts, it gets things moving. ALOT of water!!!! none stop in fact, that will help the plumbing get going again. gas-ex helped me as well as pepperment tea. just grin and bear it Hon,,,it does get better. just eat small mild meals and lots of water and wait for nature to take it's course. things will get better!!!
Best of luck!
Kate
Unread 11-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Gas

Yes, the gas is bad! I found laying on my left side helps. At one point in the hospital I had my chest to the bed and my rear up in the air. I was glad the nurses didn't come it to see that, especially in those lovely open back gowns and lovely mesh panties. LOL It helped move it around though.

If you try that position, just make sure your bedroom door is closed...
Unread 11-22-2007, 06:00 PM
Gas

The reason it won't pass too, is that it's in your interstitial tissues, not in the traditional "passing lane," as it were. It kind of needs to seep into your intestines and then, and only then, you can pass it... hopefully LOUDLY as you're hoping for! I know the gas is still occasionally awful for me at this point (but not to worry - mine is now related to meds I'm on for complications), and I too hope for LOUD gas as it makes me feel more accomplished!!

Good luck!
Dina
Unread 11-22-2007, 06:01 PM
Gas

You might try a suppository, like the Dulcolax kind. It helps move everything out, even the gas, and does help to relax all the muscles in that area so once the gas gets down there, it doesn't turn around and go back UP!

It's the worst, I know. I feel for you dear.

Unread 11-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Gas

Have you passed gas at all since your surgery? If you haven't passed ANY, please call your doctor. That's not good! If you've passed some but not as much as you like, the advice above is terrific.
Unread 11-22-2007, 07:50 PM
Gas

You girls are awesome!! Yes, today, finallllly, I passed two small amounts while going to the bathroom. I have been moving around a lot. Bad thing is, at the hospital nobody would get me out of bed...I laid in bed for 20 hours before I finally got a nurse to get me out of it. She wasn't even going to, until I got really irate, and told her nobody would get me out, and that I had read it was the best thing to do. Then SHE was angry, that I had been in bed that long, and said I was getting out NOW. Bless her. When I feel better, I'll post about my wonderful hosp. stay in another thread. THanks again ladies, happy tooting!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register