Is ANYONE having a good hysterectomy recovery?!!! - Page 9 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Is ANYONE having a good hysterectomy recovery?!!! Is ANYONE having a good hysterectomy recovery?!!!

Unread 11-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Is ANYONE having a good hysterectomy recovery?!!!

wow! Still waiting on the path report. I'd be completely nutso, by now. I got my path report results before I left the hospital.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 02:08 PM

I am one of those who had a great recovery. I had my TAH on Dec. 15th -- almost a year ago. I had a near football-sized fibroid, so this required a vertical incision to remove it. The surgery got a little tough on the surgeon -- he had to call in another surgeon to help with the removal of the tumor, and my bladder got punctured, but luckily a urologist was right there with him and repaired it. I wound up being in the hospital for 5 nights, because I was very weak from the surgery. (They had to give me two units of blood during the surgery. The fibroid was growing off of my cervix, so I imagine that's a spot with a lot of blood vessels.)

I was quite weak when I got home, but about day 10, it was as if someone flipped on my light switch. I suddenly went from napping every 2 hours to being awake all day until bedtime. Pain was not an issue, eventhough I was quite worried about the vertical incision. (I had steristrips on the outside -- a 5 inch incision that goes from about mid-pubic area into my belly button.) The incision healed beautifully. (By the way, I think the pain meds are what give you the weird dreams. They would make me suddenly snap awake with a start!)

After I got the "all clear" at my six-week check-up, I returned to working out. I took it easy, as the doctor cautioned. I started with the elliptical trainer. I had been doing 45 minutes at level 6 before surgery, but returned at level 1 and 15 minutes. I tried a few abdominal crunches on the exercise ball and, being very gentle, I found it wasn't bad at all! I quickly progressed, and I think I was back at my former level of fitness in about 4 weeks, bringing back in the weight training as well.

I had to have hip resurfacing (a new alternative to replacement) in June. That was my original "goal" -- the hysterectomy was a "little surprise" as I prepared for the hip surgery. I would say I was back at 100% by March, so I was in great shape for the hip surgery in June. And you know, having had the hysterectomy made my hip surgery recovery a bit easier. With my "new bladder" not being squished all the time by the big fibroid, I didn't have to get up in the middle of the night to pee anymore. (A couple of months after the hysterectomy is when I realized I was able to sleep the night through. I would even intentionally drink a tall glass of water at bedtime just to see -- and I did sleep through the night!) So, the newly improved bladder capacity helped me not have to finagle my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night with my hip "precautions" and all.

I kept one ovary, so I did not have to wrestle with the dilemma of HRT or not. And, I'm happy to report that my lil' ovary has been doing just fine! I can tell I'm still regularly cycling, although my OB/GYN says we really can't know unless we test my blood levels. But, I got the breast tenderness and bloated belly on a regular, monthly cycle with the accompanying munchies!

Yes, hysterectomies can bring much relief and turn out well.
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:08 PM
So far, so good

I mean, I didn't really start feeling *really* like myself again until almost seven weeks out from surgery (a day with no pains, no twinges, no little reminders), but I can't say I've had a bad recovery at all.

Probably because I read every single caution, horror story, etc. on this site and made darn sure I did the "do's" and didn't the "dont's"!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-01-2007, 09:34 PM

From the beginning things went well (vertical TAH) because I had a spinal just before they put me under so there was no pain or nausea when I woke up. I was able to eat the clear diet, pee the next day. As soon as there was discomfort I got pain pills. Didn't even use them all, I'm getting around fine, trouble is trying not to do too much. I'm 60, wasn't expecting to need a hysterectomy at this stage.
Unread 12-01-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekefan
From the beginning things went well (vertical TAH) because I had a spinal just before they put me under so there was no pain or nausea when I woke up. I was able to eat the clear diet, pee the next day. As soon as there was discomfort I got pain pills. Didn't even use them all, I'm getting around fine, trouble is trying not to do too much.
Yep, me too, although with me the kept the epidural in for a couple days afterwards. I forgot the name of the drug they had in the epidural drip for on-demand pain relief after the hyst, but it sure worked

The clear diet was OK, too, for the first lunch and supper, quite respectable chicken broth indeed. However, the chicken broth for breakfast the next day looked and tasted like the chicken only ran past the pot and was never dunked in!
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:57 AM

I hit a wall on Friday. WOW I was doing great and then Bam... Had my TAH/BSO three weeks ago tomorrow. Actually I feel like I have a bladder infection. Alot of pain and spasms in that area. Very tired and moving VERY slow. Major swelly belly yesterday too!!! Owie and very tender to touch. I did not over do it on Friday either. Just went and got a manicure and pedicure and came home and went to bed and stayed there until Saturday am! I did do a lot on Thursday I mean I was "up"alot perhaps that was it? Should I call my dr today and ask about a bladder infection? I hate to bother him on a Sunday.I have Urelle for bladder spasms and could take some for the pain. He will want to see me so not much he can do till Monday anyway.
Unread 12-02-2007, 08:16 AM

Actually, to tell you the truth, I had my tubes tied (laparoscopically) six years ago, and for my first few days home I felt less beat-up from the hysterectomy.

Probably because I wasn't nursing an amazing technicolor bruised belly. The only thing that showed "outside" from the hyst was the incision. But when I got my tubes tied, my stomach looked and felt like it'd been beaten with a baseball bat!

The funniest part of the tube-tying vs. hysterectomy follies was -- I'd gotten all my food shopping done before I went into the hospital, and I'd based my choices for my first few days post-hospital by what I could handle when I had the tubes tied (which wasn't much, emphasis on chicken soup in its various forms). Surprise -- I could actually handle Real Food much, much sooner this time around Go figure.

Of course, I went to my sister's for Thanksgiving, and now seem to have caught her cold just in time to go back to work :::sigh!:::
Unread 12-02-2007, 03:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I too, thought that posting my good recovery wasn't a good idea, and I didn't want others to feel bad if they didn't have as good a time, but then I started thinking that maybe other ladies who are anticipating their own surgeries might want to hear about good recoveries too. They are possible!

My surgery was on July 31, 2007, so it has been a little over four months since my surgery. I stayed in the hospital for four days, partly because I was able to take part in a pain study, where my morphine was on demand, after the the first day, and I had regular 'Tylenol' type pain killer (unless I received a placebo, which I won't know for two or three years or until the study results come back). I didn't ask for any more morphine (i miligram) until day three, after having a visitor filled day. I just felt tired and sore, and didn't want to deal with any pain. Overall, I didn't need much morphine, and was able to feel like myself pretty quickly. I wish more people could have an option of a non narcotic drug. I think it helped me.

I either was given the 'Tylenol' drug or have an amazingly high pain threshhold. The doctor wanted to prescribe to me a pain medicine for when I left the hospital, but I told him it wasn't necessary, since I had no pain medicine the last day in the hospital anyway. He asked me three different times, and it seemed like it would have made him feel better if I had said yes. Still, I said no, and was just fine.

My recovery, so far, has been steady, and I only 'overdid it' one day, in the beginning weeks, and paid the price for three days. I went back to work after six weeks, and have stayed back to work. I have slight discomfort or just tenderness every once in awhile, but nothing to complain about. I just know that I am still healing (yay), and feeling free and happy that my body could respond so well to the surgery. I feel bad for anyone who still has cramps and bleeding. They could feel so much better. I am glad I had it done, and my life is more carefree now. I was fortunate that I could have my children (two dear daughters) and be free from 'the curse' (I say 'the curse' in gest, as I didn't have too many problems until the last year of my period, it was just more annoying than anything else).

My husband took the week of my surgery off from work, and stayed with me the second week at home. He walked most mornings with me at the nearby shopping mall. We had a cup of coffee, and a great morning walk almost every day. He works nights, so it was a way for him to unwind with me until I went back to work. That was time that I will always cherish. I have been blessed!

Anyway, a good result is definitely possible. I feel that my doctorI didn't know the human body could heal so well. I wish everyone well!

Love,
CMC48
Unread 12-02-2007, 06:27 PM

Hi there. I'm 5 days post-op now and am just dealing with soreness from the incision. Long to have the stitches remove soon. Am anxious for the full recovery as I need to get back to my regular routine. Guess, this whole experience is teachnig me patience among other things. Here's wishing all of you the very best with your individual circumstances/situation.
Unread 12-02-2007, 07:07 PM

Hi,
I just had mine Friday, it is now Sunday and no pain or compliants from me. Mine was done with the DiVinci robot so I think that made a huge difference.

Cindy Lou Hoo.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register