Abcess or Hematoma? Need help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Abcess or Hematoma? Need help! Abcess or Hematoma? Need help!

Unread 11-23-2007, 05:41 PM
Abcess or Hematoma? Need help!

Hi Ladies,

In the ongoing saga of me not being able to get well, my Dr has suggested that I may have one of the above. I am having a CT scan this coming week to check. My question is for any of you that had one, did it press on anything like your bladder giving you discomfort?

Here are my symptoms. Went to Dr for 2 week ck on Wed. In pain, bleeding, fever. Dr. says I need CT. Starts me on strong broad spectrum antibiotic in meantime - Clindamycin 1350 mgs a day!! Thursday my bladder which has been messed up and feeling bad since surgery takes a turn for the worse and I really feel like I have an infection. Culture last week was negative. Call the on call dr today and he adds Macrodan antibiotic 4x day + the pills that make it hurt less. Diflucan just in case for you know what and of course on Wed my Dr also added Ambien because I haven't been sleeping. I feel like a drug addict!! My poor tummy! This from the girl who normally won't even take a tylenol.

So back to my question - unlike a UTI after I go my bladder still spasm and feels like there is pressure. It's hard to describe it's just a bad feeling. When I have had UTI's in the past it would be painful before and after but then there would be a small period of comfort. I'm not getting that now. It just feels awful all the time and I'm miserable. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm sorry for the novel but emotionaly I'm getting to the end of my rope.

Starbgirl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 06:54 PM

Hi!

I had a large hematoma/seroma which ran along my incision line, in front of the abdominal wall.

My symptoms consisted of feeling as though I had a brick in my abdomen (because of the location), non-stop swelly belly (because there was something there that wouldn't go away) and intermittent pain, sometimes sharp enough to take my breath away.

There really aren't cut-and-dried symptoms for hematomas or seromas... because they can be anywhere. But I think it's feasible that yours could be producing the symptoms you're having, if the fluid is situated next to your bladder.

If you do have a hematoma or seroma, chances are the doctors will recommend waiting to see if it will resolve on its own. You'll be told to limit your activity, but of course you're already on restrictions. You'll also be told to watch yourself very carefully for signs of infection, because if a hematoma or seroma becomes infected, it's a definite emergency.

They told me that the reason they didn't just do surgery right away on me was that it was actually riskier to go in and try to drain it or remove it, because the act of doing so would be another invitation for infection and other problems. Of course, I was 7 months post-op when mine was diagnosed so they were quite reluctant to open me up again. (That is what eventually happened, though -- because the hematoma kept filling up with fluid after they drained it. This is because it had been around so long that it had actually formed a sac which had attached to my abdominal wall.)

My hematoma was quite large (19x9x4 cm.) and it wasn't discovered until I was 7 months post-op, believe it or not. It was no fun, let me tell you.

Please let us know what you find out.
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:45 PM

Starb,
I've just gone through this in my own personal saga of recovery complications. I had an abscess rupture and had to have emergency surgery, and had an external drain "installed" for two weeks. I had to walk multiple times daily (still do) to keep the fluid draining. In addition, I was put on Levaquin (1x day) and Metronidazole (3x day) for 15 days. I've just had horrifying side effects from likely the Levaquin, and have been told to discontinue it today, three days shy of finishing the full course (I PRAY the infection is cleared up -- I don't think I can bear further surgeries at this poitn), and am continuing the Metronidazole.

As for what the pain felt like.... well that's easy -- it felt like I was being flayed open with a dull, rusty knife. I've never experienced pain like this in my life. I couldn't stop passing out from the pain. My whole abdomen was swollen to about a 7 month pregnancy, it was all sore to the touch, and my lower right pelvis was on FIRE. There was unfortunately no hope for me to not have surgery -- the infection had already exploded throughout my insides.

So yeah. That's been installment number 15 in The Saga of Dina's Recovery from a "Routine" Vaginal Hysterectomy..... like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of my recovery.

I am trying desperately to maintain my sense of humor through all this, and can only suggest trying the same if at all possible for yourself. Had I not had my sister in the room with me telling me how jealous she was that I had multiple handsome doctors all fighting to get at me, I would have surely collapsed in on myself and given up. I had spent the entire prior 24 hours sobbing like a maniac as they kept blowing my veins...

Now my arms are finally healing from all the vein-splosions, and I am fortunate to have acquired three new dimples!! Of course they are all on my belly, right where I never show them off... now my belly dimples have begun to rival my fanny dimples!

I am here for you, Starb. I will read all that you're going through, and I will pray for you and your recovery.
Dina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM

I don't have anything to contribute as far as abscesses or hematomas, but I just wanted to let you know I'm sorry about your continuing problems. I'll keep you in my prayers, and I'm sending you a big . I soooooo want you to feel better soon! Let us know if we can do anything for you. You've been so kind to so many of us! Take care, Starbgirl!
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Thanks so much everyone. I came back on here to check for reply's and reading your messages made the damm break. I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out. I feel so awful and I just keep willing myself to feel better and it's not working. The hugs from you guys mean so much. I don't have a DH and although my kids (9 & 13) are SO sweet they really don't get it and I cannot scare them by complaining. I'm grateful their watching HS Musical 2 right now so I can have a little cry and see if that makes me feel better! Sometimes a girls just gotta do it!

Dina I have read what you have been through. Mine isn't half as bad so you do really understand. I hope your infection stays away. For good!!

I did get some good news today so I'm trying to focus on that. I had called the hospital last week to complain about the treatment I recieved and the ongoing complications it has caused me. They called me today to let me know they would be paying the bill for my ER trip. So that did make me happy.

Well it's 9pm and I'm beat so I'm going to go take my Ambien and hope it's stronger than my aches and pains!!

Starbgirl
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:08 PM

to you. There's one thing I can assure you -- if this is a hematoma or a seroma, it wasn't caused by anything you or the doctors or nurses did. It's just something that happens, sort of like a bruise. It's due to the trauma of the surgery itself.

Anyway, I hope you get some good rest tonight. You've earned it for sure.
Unread 11-28-2007, 08:47 PM
Abcess or Hematoma - Update

Well, I had my CT scan today. They told me my Dr would have the results by Friday so I knew it wasn't a great thing when my Dr called me an hour later. But it wasn't horrible news either. He said the CT showed ongoing cellulitis at the cuff and fluid in my abdomen. The good news he said was that it had not formed into an abcess. So I've been instructed to carry on with my current regimen - meds, rest. If I keep feeling decent and my fever doesn't return, then he said we will repeat the CT in 10 days and see where we are at. If however I start to feel worse, my fever returns or the next CT shows no change or worsening then he said I will have to be re-admitted for 4-5 days IV antibiotics. He said he cannot give me enough meds by mouth to cure the infection. He also asked me to have a very low threshold about calling him. He wants to avoid an abcess at all costs because he said if that happened it would have to be drained and that really changes the game.

I was dissappointed as in my mind I was sure he was going to call and say - carry on- everything looks perfect. But I am trying to stay positive also in that things can go in my favor. The fever could stay away, I could begin to feel better each day and the infection could just start to resolve. My next CT could be the one that makes my day and sends me skipping down the halls!!

PS - does anyone know how to change the title of the thread to show the update??

Cheers,

Starbgirl
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:11 PM

I had a lsh on 10/31 and right away I had problems. My bladder wouldn't function and I had this terrible pain (I thought was gas pains) that continually got worse of the next two weeks. It became so bad that I couldn't even walk. It felt like every muscle in my abdominal area was having a spasm. It was terrible to go to the bathroom - felt like labor contractions. I went to the ER and I had an abscess behind my bladder and a blood clot in my abdomen. The pain was radiating all over my abdomen. I was hospitalized for 5 days on IV antibiotics (3 different kinds) and glad to report that now 4 weeks post-op that I'm on my way to recovery. My doctor said that these complications has set me back in recovery and I'm now where I should have been one week post-op. I'm feeling better each day!!!
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM

Thanks so much for this response. The pain you describe is exactly how I was feeling this PAST Saturday night!! I almost went to the ER but I thought they would laugh me away as it felt like the most horrible gas pains ever. so I took an Ambien and a percoset and went to bed! I have also had since day one, problems with my bladder and this infection is pressing on it causing ongoing issues. My Dr also told me yesterday that he can see on the CT that I am SO behind in my healing due to all the issues I've had.

I'm so glad you responded with how well you are doing now! it gives me hope and a bit more energy to keep up this battle.

Thankyou!!

Starbgirl
Unread 11-29-2007, 12:51 PM

Starbgirl I'm sorry to hear you are going through so much during your healing process. You have however shedded some light on my situation. I had a TAH on July 13 2007, kept ovaries, but during my 5th week of healing my incision was almost closed except for one little area. Well this area started to really drain really heavy. I went to the doctor he told me that it was a bubble of liquid, he said that they sometimes form during the healing process. Well here I am almost 5 months later and the incision is closed but I am having drainage from elsewhere. I have been back to the doctor three times for this amd all my cultures are coming back fine. After reading some of the symptons that you as well as mjd2491. I think I may have somthing to that effect. I will bring this to my doctors attention so he can check for this. Sorry for your pain but thanks for the enlightment.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register