14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help 14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help

Unread 11-23-2007, 06:15 PM
14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help

Hi all,
Looking for some old timers here to help me out. I haven't been on this board since for at least six months. Before and after my abdominal hysterectomy it was a source of invaluable information and support, even tho I participated only as a guest. Why I'm here now - Since my surgery, I have had numerous UTIs. With each came rounds of Cipro. In June, I ended up in emergency room for UTI at midnight (isn't that how it always is!). Given a strong form of Cipro (levaquin) and sent home with another Cipro Rx to fill in morning. Next day experienced vertigo (room
spinning and severe vomiting). Told probably unrelated to
Rx and finish Rx. Had another room spin within 2 weeks.
Now really scared - made appt with Dr (he treated me in ER, live in little town, where GPs fill in at ER) He Dx me as having vertigo. Great - something new. Had blood drawn (came back normal) and did another urine test in office. Said still had UTI and gave another Rx for Cipro. Next my left ear began ringing (within the week), I mean high pitch 24/7 like a teapot going off, made another appt - his partner dx me with tinnitus. Sent to ENT - did hearing test - had some hearing loss, told him I couldn't work with this loud ringing constantly and asked if I could have had an adverse reaction to the Cipro since this all began at the same time? He said there's no cure for tinnitus and there wasn't anything he could do for me. Totally defeated after
waiting weeks for this appt, I called my internal med dr - should have done from beginning - and at this appt he suspects ototoxicity (toxic to inner ear) of which Cipro is. Sent me to new ENT who is trying various protocols, MRI ruled out tumor, etc.
Sorry for the lengthy post, but I think the series of events
are important.
My questions are to those who are further out from surgery date.
Do you get UTIs often? If so, what is Rx prescribed?
Ever had these types of side effects from antibiotics?
Any feedback would be appreciated. And please, please
understand this is not meant to scare any of the newbies.
I just really need some help.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 06:22 PM

I'm not an old timer nor can I answer all your questions, but I do have a suggestion. Years ago I went thru the same thing, getting one UTI after another. I was quickly becoming antibiotic resistant. My doc at the time suggested I drink a glass of Cranberry juice at least 3 times a week. I haven't had a UTI in close to fifteen years now. Something in cranberries helps coat your urinary tract to keep bacteria from sticking and growing. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-23-2007, 06:40 PM

Thanks,
From the start of this I drank real cranberry juice, not the
kind mixed with apple juice, etc. Was told couldn't drink
enough by Dr, so was advised to take cranberry capsules.
That's what I do now along with the juice.
I just can't believe having this many UTIs is normal especially if not having sex - sometimes wonder if something went wrong with the surgery, which caused these UTIs, which then led to lots of Cipro, and this unbearable ringing!
Thanks for your post and you are right on with the juice per all my friends who swear by it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 06:58 PM

I took Levaquin for Lymes Disease. I took 1,000 mg once a day for 2 months. I had no side effects except stomach upset, if I didn't eat with it.

Just some input.
Unread 11-23-2007, 07:18 PM

That's wonderful news - well not the Lyme disease - but the
fact that you had no adverse side effects. I believe that drug
is the strongest of the fluoroquinoline (sp) family, stronger than Cipro (developed to combat anthrax originally). Dr said only about 10% of general population has adverse reaction to Cipro - however the numbers are not released about military and individuals (some postal workers) that took Cipro after 9/11.
OMG - sound like a conspiracy person now! Honestly not
meaning too! Just want to know what others were given
as Rx, obviously Cipro didn't work whether it caused ringing
or not. Perhaps a visit to a urologist is in order.
Unread 11-23-2007, 07:26 PM

Not an old timer but I am a RN. What are the results of your urine cultures. I mean what are the culture and sensitivity reports and see if other medication is resistant or sensitive. Perhaps you should see a urologist who may treat you more aggressively.
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:07 PM

Never told, I think they just said some pus or a little blood, but can't remember about each time. Most tests done at Dr office (dip, right?) and given Rx. Never got call backs from Dr re:results of a culture. Felt relief with Rx and just thought part of the healing process, until it keep re-occurring. The June Er visit - nurse that gave me levaquin to take immediately said "let's just say it's yucky" weird and funny response so didn't forget it. Urine was suppose to be sent to lab for more testing to make sure antibiotic was right (first time I heard that) Told to call back in 3 days for results, when did, was told urine didn't make it to lab for whatever reason.
I do have an appt with internal med dr for annual physical
on the 4th - he ordered blood work and urine test and
will have results by then. I totally agree with you, I will discuss moving on to a urologist with him. Thanks for
your post.
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:33 PM

Until today, I have been on Levaquin for 15 days for a ruptured abscess. For the past several nights, about a half hour after taking it, I would get the vertigo you're speaking of -- I would equate it to drunken bedspins of the highest order -- as well as a racing heart (130+ bpm), chest pain, muscle weakness, and severe depression. I finally was able to get through to my doctor's answering service today, and let them know these symptoms were getting worse each day. I was told to stop taking it immediately (I only had three left to take), and was told to try to continue my other meds (Metronidazole 3X day).

As for the UTIs, I'm afraid I'm no help to you. From my nutrition background, about all I can suggest is apple juice, yes, apple juice, and if you need to help flush your kidneys, you may ask your doctor if it's all right (once you're off your meds) to supplement with hydrangea root tincture. Again, I'd make sure your doc is okay with this first.

I wish you all the luck in the world here, hon. Would that I had some answers for you!
Dina
Unread 11-23-2007, 08:50 PM

Dina,

Your Dr was definitely a lot more on the ball than mine!

If you have any other strange symptoms, even after
stopping as it may stay in your system awhile - not sure
of it's half life - you can check out www.fqresearch.org.

A website describing about this family of drugs.

Best to you,
Janice
Unread 11-23-2007, 09:46 PM

daytoday, it sounds like your uti isn't being cured...that you continue to have your infection. and, as mentioned by the previous poster and rn, when you have a urinary infection, it should be cultured so that the doctor knows which antibiotics will work to treat it. although broad spectrum antibiotics will work for many infections, it's often considered best to have a more specific antibiotic used.

and, i've taken levaquin and been 'ok' except that it made me a bit nauseaus soon after taking each pill.

good luck....hope you're better soon.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register