14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help 14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help

Unread 11-23-2007, 10:22 PM
14 Mths out & too many UTIs - Need help

Im not an old timer either. I've taken levaquin twice for uti by urologist was treating me agressively because of pin size fistula. First time I took it was without food and then second time he said to take it with food. I didn't have any problems either time. The fistula seems to have healed, But I still had small amount of bacteria in urine so he prescribed Macrobid. Although I have had tinnitus since I about 10 yrs old. I was told several years back it was fluid on my ear drum.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 10:40 PM

Hello,
I too suffer from frequent uti's. I also have been on cipro and get vertigo, but I never really put the two together. I am not sure if my vertigo is related to the cipro or not. Also, you might want to check out a uro/gyno, they deal with our type of issues more. I don't know if you have noticed any incontenence when you have your uti, but I get really incontenent with my uti's. Also, nobody else is going to bat for you, you have to stick up for yourself, if your dr isn't listening to you find one that will. Also, you might want to check out the pelvic floor/bladder issue boards they have a lot of good information in there too. Good luck!!!
Unread 11-23-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaytoDay
Thanks,
From the start of this I drank real cranberry juice, not the
kind mixed with apple juice, etc. Was told couldn't drink
enough by Dr, so was advised to take cranberry capsules.
That's what I do now along with the juice.
I just can't believe having this many UTIs is normal especially if not having sex - sometimes wonder if something went wrong with the surgery, which caused these UTIs, which then led to lots of Cipro, and this unbearable ringing!
Thanks for your post and you are right on with the juice per all my friends who swear by it!

I have UTI issues too, along with taking cranberry pills I have to really take TIME To fully void, I try not to get up until I have truly fully voided, I am very hyper and tend to go just enough to feel better, then I get up. with in no time I have to go again. So I have to learn to fully void, I rock back and forth, finding a position where I can void more, I even have lifted up my knees past my hips, via tippy toes or a stool or phone book to have an easier path, or stand up and sit back down, do kegales all in hopes to move any stuck urine in the bladder to move around and hopefully toward the entrance? I know sounds weird, but I am so desperate to get it all out. That helps keep bacteria away if you fully void.. And yes take the cranberry pills.. Since Surgery voiding is truly an art form now, I had bladder surgery too... GOOD LUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2007, 12:09 AM

Thanks to all of you for being so kind to answer this
cry for help. I'll look at the bladder section - don't
even know what a fistula is??

Here's what I now realize:
My urine should have been thoroughly tested outside the office and I should have been given a report back if "Cipro" was the effective drug to treat what was causing the "UTI" symptoms. I assumed not hearing back from Dr after each visit and relief of the RX was solving the problem. Also remember being given explanation that with the uterus gone, the bladder falls slightly putting pressure on urethra (sp), causing slight opening, allowing bacteria to get in.
I will insist urine be cultured and call back to get results
in future. I will ask internal medicine dr for name of a urologist/gyn, not just a urologist.

Another doctor to add to my list! - here's why I say that:

Crazy thing is I am an extremely strong, detailed oriented
individual (accountant) and am not new to medical problems, had bilateral mastectomy in 99 and then had breast cancer surgeon assist my gyn with TAH along with oncologist on standby to stage if tumor on ovary was cancerous last Sept. So have been treated by the best drs at one of the best medical centers in US.

Problem is I live approx hour outside city in a very small town and when UTIs occured got immediately into local Dr or ended up in ER on weekend. Probably didn't receive the
same level of care as I do from my internal medicine dr., etc.
When mentioned the UTIs to gyn on 3, 6 and 9 mth visit she didn't seem to be concerned, only that I was healing fine after silver nitrate treatments. Didn't go to 12 mth visit, because dealing with the vertigo, tinnitus and 2 different ENTs.

Gosh, the more I write, the more unbelievable this sounds -
I don't know how this snowballed out of control with the
infections, Cipro, vertigo and tinnitus. I know to be my
own advocate - what was I thinking!!!
Again thanks to all for your time and wealth of information.
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:02 AM

Just a comment on the cranberry juice. While I was in the hospital and still with my catheter, I requested CB juice for that very reason. In my early years I had the occasional UTI but have not had one for a long time and I think its due to the juice!
Unread 11-24-2007, 09:53 AM
same advice I received

It sounds like your on the right track. I have had two UTI's since my surgery and my gyn said even one more within a year they will be send me to a urologist. My gyn does a culture each time for specifics. Prior to these two I haven't had one since I was a teenage and my gyn is saying the exactly same thing you have discovered.

What a rough experience for you.....Hope the worst is over!!
Unread 11-24-2007, 10:16 AM

Daytoday,
you are right, being in a small town does make a difference. I too live in a smaller town and live about an hour away from the cities. It is difficult getting there even though I don't work. I am very much an advocate for my health too. I have a brain tumor in 1998, so I know how important it is to stick up for myself. If you feel like something is wrong it usually is.

a fistula is a connection from one organ to another, for instance I have a fistula from my ureter (the tube connecting your kidneys to your bladder) to my vaginal wall. It creates a hole where the urine flows from my ureter to my china wall (I hate the word vagina). If you have any questions about what certain things are there is a thread on the pelvic/bladder issues that you can look at and find out more information.
april
Unread 11-24-2007, 12:10 PM

Hi Dina,
You poor thing, how awlful. My daughter gets rid of her UTI's with Chinese herbs. There is a strong tea that tastes awful (a bit of honey helps) that takes the burn out of the bladder within hours and cures the UTi within 24 hours. A good Chinese Medicine Doctor can help you with the other symptoms, too. Good luck, hang in there.
Laura

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register