Bladder irritated and sometimes leaking | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bladder irritated and sometimes leaking Bladder irritated and sometimes leaking

Unread 11-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Bladder irritated and sometimes leaking

My Dear Sisters
My whole reason for having this op was I suddenly could never sleep(for 6 mos. pre-op) without knocking myself out without prescription sleep-aids. Napping was suddenly impossible, too. (I have always been a napper).
My bladder had begun telling me it was time to go all the time. No accidents, not necessarily right now, but I did feel like I had to go. Up 10-12 times per night, same during the day.
Infection, right?
Family doc said infection, gave meds.
ER said unresponsive infection. gave meds.
Then back to Fam doc TWO DAYS LATER no infection.
...and boing, boing, boing...FINALLY
I was referred to the urologist -no infection-and only drank water and 1 cup of iced tea strength coffee per day for 3 weeks. (Said it was probably the acid in the cran juice and lemon in my tea.) NO IMPROVEMENT.
Took pics just in case and, lo and behold, my uterus was adhered to the top of my bladder, pushing down on it. (adhesions from 3 C-sections) boing...
OB Gyn said I could live with it or do hyst, my choice.
Tried to live with it but unable to stay sane with flooding, bloating, pms, pain, moods, etc. and NO SLEEP!!
(He already knew about these other symptoms but I was adamant about keeping my uterus, thanks to What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About....by Lee and Hanley.)

Tried hormone therapy, too. Wasn't that. Finally, I had had enough and got the hyst. The week before the hyst I would tee tee before my shower, get up, turn on the water, and what was that running down my legs? Some drops I didn't feel come out. Sure was glad I was going to have a hyst!
I am very discouraged today because my bladder is still irritated and my little tee tee hole still feels like it needs to go all the time. No Naps, no sleep w.o. meds.
I had my 6 week 10 days ago and doc said this was
from the op and it would clear during the next 3 weeks. I have faith in him, don't blame him if it doesn't clear up but...
That leaves me 11 days to feel better, which is not much!
The last couple of days I have started having some drops run down my legs before a shower again when I thought it was all out. GREAT!

I need someone to tell me this is going to go away?
Or this happened to them and got better?
Help?

I'm thinking what if it doesn't go away???
Am I doomed to a life of dependency on sleep meds??
Will I have this feeling for the rest of my life??(I'm 47)
All THIS(hyst) for nothing?

TAH kept ovaries
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM

Have you tried taking anti spasmatic? Did dr's have you do the tampon test for a fistula? the reason I ask about fustula you said there was adhesion between bladder and uterus and from what I've read on here some bladder damage can occur when they pull or cut them apart however they get them apart. I had a fistula and at 3 1/2 wks post op I started leaking without feeling it coming out even wetting the bed. I also had constant urge to go especially when bladder is full or empty. I was given anti spasmatic called sanctura that actually has help with the urge issue the fistula seems to have healed but still have slight infection so Im taking Macrobid(treating agressively so hole doesn't open back up).
Unread 11-24-2007, 11:52 AM

tw 47,
I am so sorry this is happening to you. While you seek Western medical help, check into Chinese herbal medicine to calm the bladder. There are a couple of formulas that are used to calm the bladder. Hopefully there is an acupuncturist who is good with Chinese herbs in your area.

Take care,
Laura
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2007, 02:40 PM

TW, I too have an active bladder with some irritation, my bladder decided to get friendly with my uterus and they became buddies (they were adhered together). I would ask to go to a UroGynocologist, they are a God send. And I agree there are meds that you can take to calm your bladder, I take pyridium (it makes me pee orange, that's kind of fun!!!) Also, you might want to check out the pelvic floor/bladder issues thread on this board, they have a lot of information regarding these issues!! Good Luck.
April
Unread 11-25-2007, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprili1
TW, I too have an active bladder with some irritation, my bladder decided to get friendly with my uterus and they became buddies (they were adhered together). I would ask to go to a UroGynocologist, they are a God send. And I agree there are meds that you can take to calm your bladder, I take pyridium (it makes me pee orange, that's kind of fun!!!) Also, you might want to check out the pelvic floor/bladder issues thread on this board, they have a lot of information regarding these issues!! Good Luck.
April
You're the only other gal I've heard of this happening to. Feels good to know there's someone else...
Is pyridium one of those anti-spasmodics Texas_Lady was talking about?
(by the way, thanks for the thread info--I didn't even know that was there!)
Unread 11-25-2007, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Lady
Have you tried taking anti spasmatic? Did dr's have you do the tampon test for a fistula? the reason I ask about fustula you said there was adhesion between bladder and uterus and from what I've read on here some bladder damage can occur when they pull or cut them apart however they get them apart. I had a fistula and at 3 1/2 wks post op I started leaking without feeling it coming out even wetting the bed. I also had constant urge to go especially when bladder is full or empty. I was given anti spasmatic called sanctura that actually has help with the urge issue the fistula seems to have healed but still have slight infection so Im taking Macrobid(treating agressively so hole doesn't open back up).
I, too, had a vertical.
I have not tried antispasmodics, and I had NO idea about the fistula thing.
I'll DEFINITELY be on the phone 8:30 am Monday to look into BOTH of those possibilities...
Nice to hear from another Texan.
Do you ride any? Wondering when that will be ok, too.
Thank you soo much for your help!
Unread 11-25-2007, 11:35 AM

TW, They pyridium is good for spasms, I was on it when I had my sp catheter. The only thing I realize was my urine was going to look deep orange. That kind of freaked me out, but other than the change in color, the pyridium works well for me.
I am happy I was able to give you that thread, it was a God send for me. I know there are more ladies in that area that have similar issues like us. Good luck
Unread 11-26-2007, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw47
I, too, had a vertical.
I have not tried antispasmodics, and I had NO idea about the fistula thing.
I'll DEFINITELY be on the phone 8:30 am Monday to look into BOTH of those possibilities...
Nice to hear from another Texan.
Do you ride any? Wondering when that will be ok, too.
Thank you soo much for your help!
You can test your self for the fistula put in a tampon and then take azo it will turn pee orange take tampon out before you urinate and if there is orange on the tip of tampon( not the string end) it shouldn't be and something is leaking into the vigina.
I haven't ridden in a few years used to take girl scout troop ridding but quit a couple yrs back. I feel like I could right now if I wanted too. I'm taking a geology class and went on a mile and half hike up and down hills, few weeks back(it was ok'd by dr ) It was rough I held the class back quite a bit stopped few more times than instructor intended but I made it and Im feeling better everyday. Hope the rest of your recovery goes well and this is cleared up quickly.
Huggs
Sara
Unread 11-26-2007, 09:31 AM

Texas_Lady,

I am glad to hear that your fistula healed. I had to have surgery to fix mine! I had that last week. It was worse than the LAVH but atl least I am not leaking urine anymore. I am in the bladder and pelvi floor issue forum. That deals mostly with these issues.
Unread 11-26-2007, 10:25 AM

Just wanted to mention to you that a lot of prescription sleep aids such as Ambien are hard on your bladder and can in themselves cause bladder spasms. I have fought incontinence (had a bladder sling, that eroded into the vagina within 8 months of surgery) and chronic cystitis for years. Try to get off the sleep aids and get your urologist to give you a prescription for a bladder anti-spasmotic drug. I also used Sanctura too, it really helped with the leaking before and after surgery. I was one of the first patients to get it in the U.S. during drug trials. I have also read the more stressed out you get about bladder probelms the worse they get... I had adhesions of the bladder, uterus and ovaries and urethra....so belive me I had to have extensive corrective surgery this time around and I am doing great... Just don't expect mircles...it takes time for everything to heal and the bladder to calm down after surgery...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register