one ovary - will I need HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

one ovary - will I need HRT? one ovary - will I need HRT?

Unread 11-24-2007, 12:16 AM
one ovary - will I need HRT?

the title says it all. My dr seems to think my one ovary will be sufficient for the hormones my body will need till I reach menopause (I'm almost 47). I've read that since the uterine artery has been "disconnected" my ovary will probably not function as long as it would have. My question is - will it be enough? Anyone out there with any experience on this topic?
Thank you.
Lori

TAH for fibroids, adhesions and very enlarged uterus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2007, 07:19 AM

4ever, I came here with the same question today. There is surprisingly little information on the web about this. Have you had any "hormonal" symptoms? I had a LAVH on Tuesday, the 20th. The plan was to leave both ovaries, but one was covered in endo, so my dr took it. Yesterday I started feeling really crappy. I have had headaches all along, yesterday I cried half the day, and the other half was a b*tch from hell. I have been really hot a few times, and really cold a few others. The headaches and yucky feeling are the worst. I don't know if it is hormones, or if it is just from the surgery. The only meds I am taking right now are ibuprofen, 600mg, and a stool softner. Hopefully, someone will come along who has some answers to our questions.
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:33 AM

4ever4u

I've always been led to believe that one ovary can work just as well as two. If you try a "forum search" on the subject (click right on the main page of this forum) you'll find this has been asked many times before.

However, some ladies find their ovaries (or ovary) go into shock due to the trauma of surgery and stop working temporarily. But they usually start to experience menopausal symptoms quite quickly following surgery and so, hopefully, it sounds as if you may not be affected!

Wishing you all the best for a smooth recovery!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2007, 08:48 AM

I was left with just one ovary and have gotten along great...no problems what so ever. I was fortunate that my one remaining ovary never did go into shock.

I had never heard about a the one ovary not functioning as long as it would have had there been two ovaries. Now, I am interested in any information along those lines.

Best wishes to both of you. Those first few weeks are tough in many ways...please know it will get better...exactly when, no one can tell you...but it will and it will be so worth it all!!!
Unread 11-24-2007, 08:54 AM

Thank you both for the info. I did do a search on the main page poodles, thanks, and Lori, from what I read, the hormones should be fine with one ovary. That is a relief. I still don't know why I feel so crappy, headachy, extremely nauseated....maybe it's as poodle said, and my ovary is in shock from the surgery. Or maybe I just feel like this from the surgery itself. I don't know, but I hope it doesn't last long! heading for the couch.....
Unread 11-24-2007, 09:09 AM

Thanks one and all!
Unread 11-24-2007, 11:23 AM

Hi 4ever4u and everyone with one ovary,

I had my left ovary taken out ten years ago due to a dermoid cyst. My right ovary did fine. Six months ago I had a hysterectomy because I had a 9cm fibroid and I chose to leave my right ovary in. I had hot flashes and hormone issues for about two weeks post surgery and then things started to settle down. I now get hot flashes occasionally but feel my ovary is still doing well.

I am 45 years old and hope it will hold out for several years to come. Having my uterus out was an emotional experience. I went through the gambit of feelings. Physical pain and surgery can trigger depression. If you feel depressed tell your doctor. Give your body time to adjust to the changes. I have had two blood tests to check my hormone levels to see if I needed some natural hormones. I have too much estrogen! My progesterone and testosterone were normal. I am glad I had those blood tests to confirm that my ovary is functioning...Now I need to get my estrogen regulated. I have to watch what I eat, no soy, no hormone filled meat or milk. Anything that might trigger estrogen production. I hope this helps.

Hang in there, I hope you feel better soon,
Laura
Unread 11-24-2007, 02:28 PM

Laura, thank you! So if this is hormonal, it will probably last about 2 weeks? This feeling headachy and nauseated is MUCH worse than the pain from my hysterectomy! I am so happy to atleast have a timeline to go by. I didn't know what to expect, and knew if this lasted too long, I didn't know what I was going to do. It would have been nice if the dr or one of the nurses had told me about this.
Unread 11-25-2007, 01:33 AM

Hey Molly,

Ibprophen gets me sick to my stomach if I don't eat something. Maybe you should switch to Tylonal? Are you drinking enough water? Are you getting up for short walks around the house here and there to work out the anesthesia? I felt so crappy after my surgery from the anesthesia and shock from surgery. Give it some time. I hate that you are having headaches so badly, though.

I had to have my neck adjusted at the chiropracter after my surgery. I think they pull our heads back to clear an airway for the breathing tube. I can't have my head held back for anytime, like at the beauty shop getting my hair rinsed, throws my neck out and gives me headaches. Maybe someone could rub your shoulders and neck, see if there is a pinched nerve back there? Just a suggestion.

Each day I felt a little better and a little better. Keep reading up here at this website, I learned so much.

Laura
Unread 12-07-2007, 09:27 PM

You all have really answered alot of my questions. I had a hysterectomy and they left one ovary in. After my surgery I was a little moody, But now I'm fine the only problem that I'm having is dry skin. I'm ashy all the time. what can I do to get my silky skin back?

You all have been a blessing to me
Thanks

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register